Why are teabagger types attracted by the idea of living 40 miles from work?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:08:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Why are teabagger types attracted by the idea of living 40 miles from work?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Why are teabagger types attracted by the idea of living 40 miles from work?  (Read 6957 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 20, 2010, 10:30:37 PM »

Just something I'm wondering. Why is it that the nuttiest people move to exurbs? Not even mainstream conservatives either, but hardcore right wing extremists. Why are only these people the ones who like having to drive an hour to work and back?
WillK

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 10:43:14 PM »

Just something I'm wondering. Why is it that the nuttiest people move to exurbs? Not even mainstream conservatives either, but hardcore right wing extremists. Why are only these people the ones who like having to drive an hour to work and back?

More time to listen to conservative talk radio   Tongue
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 11:52:10 PM »

Well, I live in an exurb, and there aren't very many teabaggers around...
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 11:52:50 PM »

Glendale's not an exurb, just a suburb. Palmdale is an exurb.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 11:54:38 PM »

Do you not understand what an exurb is? You live like 20 minutes from downtown LA, stop being ridiculous.

Although this entire thread is ridiculous so your post fits right in.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 11:59:06 PM »

Thanks for the correction.

Still, I don't think Palmdale is full of teabaggers.  Is it?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 12:34:12 AM »
« Edited: December 21, 2010, 12:38:52 AM by Verily »

Still, I don't think Palmdale is full of teabaggers.  Is it?

Palmdale probably has close to the most Republican white vote in all of California, save maybe Bakersfield, which also has some crazy exurbanites (although it's mostly not exurban). It just also has a substantial black and Hispanic vote.

Apple Valley might be a better example.

BRTD is right that these sorts of places are magnets for hard rightwingers. I think it has to do with people who move there being affluent enough to complain about paying taxes but idealize rural living enough to want to live somewhere with a lot of open space. And they probably have something of an antisocial streak (and sometimes racist or other bigoted streak, although not always or even more often than occasionally), too, wanting to live far from others. Megachurches mitigate this a little bit, but megachurches are a very antisocial experience of religion appropriate for the antisocial nature of exurbia.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 12:40:10 AM »

The definition of exurb is a community beyond the suburbs typified by higher income and education level and a high proportion of commuters. To the extent that these values correlate to members of the Tea Party then the question is almost tautologous.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 01:10:52 AM »
« Edited: December 21, 2010, 01:13:12 AM by I Know What A Lion Is »

California doesn't really have many of these type of places since basically any fast growing area in it gets tons of Hispanics...actually I guess there's Placer County. Think of there.

My theory is that it involves a desire to own a big house and the whole "ALL PRODUCTIVE AMERICANS OWN HOUSES, IT'S THE AMERICAN DREAM BLAH BLAH BLAH" nonsense. They can't afford to own a big house in the city or even an inner suburb, so they move far away to where there's lots of land and real estate is cheap so they can buy their hideous McMansion at the price of a house half the size in the city. Meanwhile people who are wealthier but don't care about owning houses and rent a nice condo in the city are obviously more liberal.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 02:35:28 AM »

White flight from the suburbs is my guess.
Nichlemn

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 03:00:48 AM »

The more interesting general question is "why do different types of settlement vote as they do?" Unfortunately, like many partisan questions it inevitably spirals down to hackery. According to Republicans, exurbs vote Republican because they're full of affluent people who want good schools and safe communities for their kids. According to Democrats, exurbs vote Republican because they're full of insular, bland whites who want to keep their kids away from minorities. There's probably truth to both statements, except both sides will always play up the story that satiates their preconceived world view.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 06:02:29 AM »

Yeah. In amidst the slightly strange stuff, all the important stuff has been said already.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 07:18:12 AM »

I think it has more to do with a general discontent with the liberal nature of cities. The people who move to exurbs dislike cities & want to get away from them; they're just not wealthy enough to retire yet & get away from them completely.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2010, 11:06:12 AM »

But why don't they move to a more inner suburb?
Nichlemn

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2010, 11:35:18 AM »

Why does anyone live anywhere except the best possible place for them? Because it's cheaper. If no-one wanted to live in exurbs, prices on exurban property would decrease until some would.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2010, 01:10:50 PM »

I agree. I live in Dallas and a lot of freeper types live in McKinney, Frisco, Prosper; even as far north as Celina. Many of them take the 30-40 minute commute to Dallas to work.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2010, 01:35:07 PM »

People who live in the city are used to having crossing guards at every street corner, so they accept nannystatism.  They reason that were it not for the state, they would be limited to their own block and couldn't work or get food.  They have effectively become both physically and mentally crippled.

Those who live in the exurbs, realize that after they drive down to the mailbox to pick up their mail, that they can keep on going and drive to the Walmart or their job at the munitions factory.  They become empowered and self-reliant.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2010, 01:42:01 PM »

Those who live in the exurbs, realize that after they drive down to the mailbox to pick up their mail,

We need to figure out a way to add a gas tax to people who engage in this sort of behavior.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2010, 01:47:26 PM »

People who live in the city are used to having crossing guards at every street corner, so they accept nannystatism.  They reason that were it not for the state, they would be limited to their own block and couldn't work or get food.  They have effectively become both physically and mentally crippled.

Those who live in the exurbs, realize that after they drive down to the mailbox to pick up their mail, that they can keep on going and drive to the Walmart or their job at the munitions factory.  They become empowered and self-reliant.

Presumably they built those roads themselves.
cannonia
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.42, S: -1.30

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2010, 04:25:16 PM »

California doesn't really have many of these type of places since basically any fast growing area in it gets tons of Hispanics...actually I guess there's Placer County. Think of there.

My theory is that it involves a desire to own a big house and the whole "ALL PRODUCTIVE AMERICANS OWN HOUSES, IT'S THE AMERICAN DREAM BLAH BLAH BLAH" nonsense. They can't afford to own a big house in the city or even an inner suburb, so they move far away to where there's lots of land and real estate is cheap so they can buy their hideous McMansion at the price of a house half the size in the city. Meanwhile people who are wealthier but don't care about owning houses and rent a nice condo in the city are obviously more liberal.

In the Sacramento area, there aren't many big houses in nice neighborhoods in the nearer suburbs.  If you've got money and want space, you move out to EDH, Cameron Park, or one of the nicer (read: "out in the country") areas of Elk Grove, Rocklin, Lincoln, or somewhere like that.

Most of the suburbs that were decent but affordable (Pocket, Elk Grove, Natomas) are becoming run-down, higher-crime rental areas.  People with money and nice things want to avoid that.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2010, 10:39:38 PM »

Why does anyone live anywhere except the best possible place for them? Because it's cheaper. If no-one wanted to live in exurbs, prices on exurban property would decrease until some would.

But then why don't more liberal middle class people move there? For example take Richfield and Fridley. Both are bland middle class suburbs very close to the city. Both tend to be pretty Democratic. Yet they have similar incomes and demographics to most of Michele Bachmann's district. There's really only one difference: The houses in them are much smaller.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2010, 10:43:30 PM »

But then why don't more liberal middle class people move there? For example take Richfield and Fridley. Both are bland middle class suburbs very close to the city. Both tend to be pretty Democratic. Yet they have similar incomes and demographics to most of Michele Bachmann's district. There's really only one difference: The houses in them are much smaller.

Why does anyone care who lives where?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2010, 10:52:43 PM »

Why does anyone care who lives where?

You are aware of the very purpose of this site right?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2010, 11:01:11 PM »

Still, I don't think Palmdale is full of teabaggers.  Is it?

Palmdale probably has close to the most Republican white vote in all of California, save maybe Bakersfield, which also has some crazy exurbanites (although it's mostly not exurban). It just also has a substantial black and Hispanic vote.

Apple Valley might be a better example.

BRTD is right that these sorts of places are magnets for hard rightwingers. I think it has to do with people who move there being affluent enough to complain about paying taxes but idealize rural living enough to want to live somewhere with a lot of open space. And they probably have something of an antisocial streak (and sometimes racist or other bigoted streak, although not always or even more often than occasionally), too, wanting to live far from others. Megachurches mitigate this a little bit, but megachurches are a very antisocial experience of religion appropriate for the antisocial nature of exurbia.

I prefer to call Megachurches "Challs" as in, Church-malls.  Many Challs now have coffee shops and other things inside of them.  Bow down to their God:  He that hateth the poor and the brown and the librul.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2010, 11:03:59 PM »

You know what's funny is if you compare liberal non-denominational churches to conservative ones. They tend to be polar opposites on things like size and all that. Pretty much everyone in the Christian hardcore/punk/indie scene tends to hate those "chall" things hugely. In fact an attempt to bomb one of them in Burleson, TX is the only act of terrorism I can think of committed by liberal Christian extremists.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies