Why are teabagger types attracted by the idea of living 40 miles from work? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:16:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Why are teabagger types attracted by the idea of living 40 miles from work? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why are teabagger types attracted by the idea of living 40 miles from work?  (Read 7020 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: December 20, 2010, 10:30:37 PM »

Just something I'm wondering. Why is it that the nuttiest people move to exurbs? Not even mainstream conservatives either, but hardcore right wing extremists. Why are only these people the ones who like having to drive an hour to work and back?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 01:10:52 AM »
« Edited: December 21, 2010, 01:13:12 AM by I Know What A Lion Is »

California doesn't really have many of these type of places since basically any fast growing area in it gets tons of Hispanics...actually I guess there's Placer County. Think of there.

My theory is that it involves a desire to own a big house and the whole "ALL PRODUCTIVE AMERICANS OWN HOUSES, IT'S THE AMERICAN DREAM BLAH BLAH BLAH" nonsense. They can't afford to own a big house in the city or even an inner suburb, so they move far away to where there's lots of land and real estate is cheap so they can buy their hideous McMansion at the price of a house half the size in the city. Meanwhile people who are wealthier but don't care about owning houses and rent a nice condo in the city are obviously more liberal.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 11:06:12 AM »

But why don't they move to a more inner suburb?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 10:39:38 PM »

Why does anyone live anywhere except the best possible place for them? Because it's cheaper. If no-one wanted to live in exurbs, prices on exurban property would decrease until some would.

But then why don't more liberal middle class people move there? For example take Richfield and Fridley. Both are bland middle class suburbs very close to the city. Both tend to be pretty Democratic. Yet they have similar incomes and demographics to most of Michele Bachmann's district. There's really only one difference: The houses in them are much smaller.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 10:52:43 PM »

Why does anyone live anywhere except the best possible place for them? Because it's cheaper. If no-one wanted to live in exurbs, prices on exurban property would decrease until some would.

But then why don't more liberal middle class people move there? For example take Richfield and Fridley. Both are bland middle class suburbs very close to the city. Both tend to be pretty Democratic. Yet they have similar incomes and demographics to most of Michele Bachmann's district. There's really only one difference: The houses in them are much smaller.

Why does anyone care who lives where?

You are aware of the very purpose of this site right?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 11:03:59 PM »

You know what's funny is if you compare liberal non-denominational churches to conservative ones. They tend to be polar opposites on things like size and all that. Pretty much everyone in the Christian hardcore/punk/indie scene tends to hate those "chall" things hugely. In fact an attempt to bomb one of them in Burleson, TX is the only act of terrorism I can think of committed by liberal Christian extremists.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 11:50:07 PM »

What could possibly motivate people to have bigger houses? How could that factor possibly affect voting patterns?

The type of mentality I discussed here:

My theory is that it involves a desire to own a big house and the whole "ALL PRODUCTIVE AMERICANS OWN HOUSES, IT'S THE AMERICAN DREAM BLAH BLAH BLAH" nonsense. They can't afford to own a big house in the city or even an inner suburb, so they move far away to where there's lots of land and real estate is cheap so they can buy their hideous McMansion at the price of a house half the size in the city. Meanwhile people who are wealthier but don't care about owning houses and rent a nice condo in the city are obviously more liberal.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 01:03:29 AM »

Then why are they so strongly against public schools and things like SCHIP?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies