1912 in 2012
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:32:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Alternative Elections (Moderator: Dereich)
  1912 in 2012
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1912 in 2012  (Read 1217 times)
Einzige Mk. II
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: 5.32, S: -9.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 22, 2010, 07:30:46 PM »
« edited: December 22, 2010, 07:34:22 PM by Einzige Mk. II »

Exactly what it says on the tin. The three Presidential candidates who participated in the election of 1912 - Wilson, Taft and Roosevelt - are mysteriously transported a hundred years into the future and made the nominees of their respective parties. Ignore any potential temporal hijinx; America will accept these strange visitations from the past as its Presidential candidates. Who wins, and what does the map look like?

EDIT: And, yes, Wilson is still a segregationist.

EDIT 2: You can include Debs too, if you'd like.
Frink
Lafayette53
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -6.17

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 07:42:52 PM »

Can we put the part where Wilson lied to northern blacks whenever it was politically expedient in?
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 07:44:15 PM »

Hmm.. I made a map, but then the caveat of Wilson still being a segregationist was thrown in...

Are we to assume that they have historical name recognition?
Einzige Mk. II
Rookie

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 07:46:02 PM »

Hmm.. I made a map, but then the caveat of Wilson still being a segregationist was thrown in...

Are we to assume that they have historical name recognition?

Either/or. However you want to play it. And I wouldn't necessarily say that Wilson would campaign on segregationism - just that he'd likely be the least progressive on racial issues out of the three, regardless of his private feelings.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 07:52:20 PM »

Probably being too generous to the Progressives and Democrats here - While TR has name recognition, he does not have apparatus as a third party candidate.
Einzige Mk. II
Rookie

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 07:54:42 PM »

Probably being too generous to the Progressives and Democrats here - While TR has name recognition, he does not have apparatus as a third party candidate.

Very interesting, and pretty much in line with the map I had in mind when I made this thread. There are only three that I might dispute - Wilson could get a home state advantage by claiming either Virginia or New Jersey, and I wonder about Texas. Other than that though, we seem to be in line in our thoughts.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 08:04:47 PM »

Very interesting, and pretty much in line with the map I had in mind when I made this thread. There are only three that I might dispute - Wilson could get a home state advantage by claiming either Virginia or New Jersey, and I wonder about Texas. Other than that though, we seem to be in line in our thoughts.

You may indeed be right about Virginia.

However, I think Texas would go narrowly for Taft. The Republican establishment has grown quite strong in Texas - Clinton only garnering 43% of the vote in 96. I would owe this to the "Texas oilmen"/businessmen so to speak, but this would be a swing state in this election.

This would be a very interesting election - Wilson, whom normally would be a "fringe" candidate would have the strength of the Democratic Party apparatus, and run quite stronger iin places he ought not to. Added that, being the most socially conservative candidate, would do unusually well (for a Democrat) amongst evangelicals/in rural areas. I imagine Taft winning the military vote, and holding on to the Republican West.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 08:08:19 PM »

W/ name recognition:

Roosevelt sweeps every state.

W/o name recognition:

Taft garners the right-wing vote while Debs and Roosevelt split the left (Wilson is a fringe candidate who gets only a few thousand votes).  Taft wins in a 1912-like landslide (heh heh).
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 05:51:37 PM »

Taft, but with complete and total dislike.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies