US House Redistricting: Washington (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:14:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  US House Redistricting: Washington (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: US House Redistricting: Washington  (Read 83347 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« on: December 23, 2010, 07:33:01 AM »

The likelihood of a transcascade district that doesn't include the Columbia Gorge is flat zero. It's just not going to happen.

Which means some kind of split to the Yakima area is probably unavoidable. Unless you want to stretch Herrera's district to the Tri-cities instead.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2010, 12:49:28 PM »

Here's another version devoted to reducing county splits. It also reintroduces the eastern King County district by splitting Seattle, although I don't think Reichert could win the WA-10 on this map (it now contains a lot more Democratic areas in northern King County and none of Pierce County).

King County is split four ways, Snohomish and Pierce are each split three ways, and Island, Yakima, Cowlitz and Spokane are each split two ways. Every other county is intact.

This one has the advantage of a natural successor district for Reichert. Obviously the situation around Lewis county looks awkward, though I'm sure Herrera won't mind her new district.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 11:59:09 AM »

Here:
    * Districts should be convenient

It is safe to say that a district relying on Stevens Pass (ie, putting Chelan wiith the west side) could not be defended in court with a straight face.
Snoqualmie Pass is more rational, seeing as the alternatives rely on Satus Pass instead.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 07:43:07 AM »

What did Spokane do to deserve getting Saskatchewaned?
Why, this:

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 11:17:31 PM »

To put the cat among the pigeons, a minimum change map (with the second's eastern boundary deemed impassable) suggests an unchanged boundary between the third and fourth, and linking Ellensburg and Wenatchee to Olympia via East Pierce.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 11:24:41 PM »

It still has Snoqualmie Pass... it just doesn't have all that many King County people.

I drew it but lost the map.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 12:11:56 AM »

Recreated it. Shift the 1st and 2nd surplusses to the 8th, the 6th and 7th surplusses to the 9th, the 5th surplus to the 4th, then create the 10th from the 3rd, 4th, 8th and 9th.

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 12:09:56 PM »

Yeah, all seven vehicles visible at the seven cameras right now are utility vehicles, four of them large trucks.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 04:49:59 PM »

...let alone Wenatchee.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 03:21:57 AM »

I still think my 3rd district is a work of art.
Words cannot express the extent of my disgust. Smiley
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2011, 03:57:30 AM »

How many people in the built-up Selah/Yakima portion of the 8th? Any way that could be avoided, perhaps by a huge counterclockwise shift?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 03:37:12 AM »

Starting to sound like Washington as is shouldn't be a state.
Well duh, it should be a province. Grin
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2011, 11:54:09 AM »

It seems pretty likely that Thurston and Lewis will end up in the same district.
Cool Is that Thurston Moore you're talking about?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2011, 01:12:28 PM »

Lol.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2011, 11:24:05 AM »

If the US would build a border fence, there would be a road along the fence, and this would be just like Imperial County to Chula Vista.

...except without the (sketchy, sorta-kinda-y) community of interest.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2011, 01:38:10 PM »

Now I think you're getting a little too defensive. It's not as if anybody thinks they would actually build that fence through the mountains. Smiley
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2011, 11:32:00 AM »

The four Republican-held districts are overpopulated by about 398,000 people,

How much of that overpopulation is in two districts, WA-8 and WA-3, one of which was held by a Democrat for the past decade?
The full breakdown is

8th 21%
3rd 16%
4th 15%
2nd 13%
1st 10%
5th 8%
9th 7%
6th 5%
7th 4%

of the statewide surplus population that the new district needs to be fashioned from.
The two R-held competitive seats, one of the two safe R seats, and the D-held competitive seat top the list, in that order. Three of the four safe D seats are at the bottom.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2011, 07:50:55 AM »

It's not a "minority-majority seat" in anything but p.r.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2011, 05:19:30 AM »

Something I'd long liked to draw. The third to take all of the Yakima agglomeration... and the fourth to cross Snoqualmie Pass and take in East King to make up the resulting population deficit.
I think it works beautifully. And I also eliminated all those Puget Sound crossings that had always bothered me.

Democratic Senate percentages 2010:
1st 57.1%
2nd 50.0% (just under btw)
3rd 43.0%
4th 37.2%
5th 41.7%
6th 50.9%
7th 81.2%
8th 52.4%
9th 56.4%
10th 49.7%

...so 3-3-4 if you take Eastside Republican incumbency into account - Republicans don't have genuine cause to complain. Of course incumbents gonna hate (with unfortunate implications under Washington law).
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2011, 05:16:03 AM »

I think it works beautifully. And I also eliminated all those Puget Sound crossings that had always bothered me.
They are part of the regular transportation network of the state.

Also there is a bridge across the Tacoma Narrows, so a cross-Puget Sound District is absolutely fine there. Although ferry connected districts aren't that bad..
I know, I know, they're better than random mountain crosses obviously. They still annoy me and aren't actually necessary.

Anyways, you could draw that arrangement for the 3rd to 5th without the western changes.

Also, White and Satus. That the main highway from Satus to Yakima runs on the non-reservation, and 4th district, side of the river doesn't impact its usability as a connection.

Oh wait, the connection from Lewis County to Vancouver is in the 6th, obviously. Yeah, I suppose instead of rural parts of Lewis you could use rural parts of Cowlitz. Though you'd have to draw it very closely around Longview, and obviously you'd be introducing an additional county split as the 6th would then have to take a small part of Thurston or Lewis (or cross the Sound after all).
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2011, 11:20:42 AM »

You could push the 3rd out of Lewis/Cowlitz entirely, push the 4th further out (entirely out?) of Yakima County, and push the 4th further into eastern King County to balance it out. I think that might actually be better for the Democrats as well.
It would improve their position in the 8th, and weaken it in the 10th. It would also be bad from a CoI point of view - East King in the 4th arguably makes more sense than Wenatchee in the 8th... but it's still awkward, and the deeper into the continuously built-up plains you go, the more awkward it becomes. As of right now, I manage to almost avoid that, and the area where I don't is cunningly hid around the intersection of 8th, 4th, 1st and 2nd.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2011, 02:08:23 PM »

Terrible. Stupid.

[starts downloading map]
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2011, 02:13:18 PM »

Yeah, we lost big time. Between Nickels getting 25% in a primary and liquor landsliding, I think it's safe to say Tim Ceis is a joke who should never work again.

Wait, that seems not to be the final map. Or possibly just not technically yet.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2011, 02:59:25 PM »

I like how they took the absolute necessary minimum effort to keep the 1st road-contiguous, in about three places.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2011, 03:24:45 PM »

Inslee was running for Governor irrespective of the map, so it doesn't matter where he lives.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies