US House Redistricting: Florida
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:13:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  US House Redistricting: Florida
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11
Author Topic: US House Redistricting: Florida  (Read 64436 times)
muon2
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: September 27, 2011, 06:05:39 PM »

With a Republican-appointed court, the Florida GOP probably has enough wiggle-room within the regulations to limit Democratic gains to (at most) nine 'reasonably safe' (at least 55.0%) seats and one swing district that leans slightly Democratic (as well about ten swing districts that lean Republican); if Bill Young chooses to run in a 'natural' St. Petersburg seat (about 56.3% Democrat), then there is a reasonable chance that he would win.  Barring a nationwide landslide, the best-case scenario for the Republicans therefore seems to be 19-8.

The VRA will enable at leat three hispanic seats (including one Democratic coastal district) and one black seat centered around Miami-Dade, and its likely that the gerrymandered Alcee Hastings seat will be protected as well.  Interestingly, it seems that the Republicans would probably do better with an Orlando vote sink than they would with a majority-black Corrine Brown district (at least it seems that way within the limitations of DRA), as the latter seems to produce two extra Democratic-leaning swing districts.

I wonder if the VRA will protect Corrine Brown's extreme gerrymander?

If were based solely on the proportion of the population there would be 6 Hispanic and 4 Black majority districts.
lowtech redneck
« Reply #101 on: September 28, 2011, 04:36:15 AM »

With a Republican-appointed court, the Florida GOP probably has enough wiggle-room within the regulations to limit Democratic gains to (at most) nine 'reasonably safe' (at least 55.0%) seats and one swing district that leans slightly Democratic (as well about ten swing districts that lean Republican); if Bill Young chooses to run in a 'natural' St. Petersburg seat (about 56.3% Democrat), then there is a reasonable chance that he would win.  Barring a nationwide landslide, the best-case scenario for the Republicans therefore seems to be 19-8.

The VRA will enable at leat three hispanic seats (including one Democratic coastal district) and one black seat centered around Miami-Dade, and its likely that the gerrymandered Alcee Hastings seat will be protected as well.  Interestingly, it seems that the Republicans would probably do better with an Orlando vote sink than they would with a majority-black Corrine Brown district (at least it seems that way within the limitations of DRA), as the latter seems to produce two extra Democratic-leaning swing districts.

I wonder if the VRA will protect Corrine Brown's extreme gerrymander?

If were based solely on the proportion of the population there would be 6 Hispanic and 4 Black majority districts.

The spread-out nature of the minority population in Florida prohibits that; its well-documented enough that Republicans should have no additional problems on that front.  The question is whether Corrine Brown's district (I don't think its technically a VRA district, but the rulings on this matter are anything but consistent) is protected, given the fact that it could easily be made into an extremely ugly VRA district.

All that said, I'm still pretty new at redistricting politics and gaming, so it wouldn't be that surprising if I missed something. 
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #102 on: September 28, 2011, 09:04:20 PM »

Brown's district is not VRA protected, it's not 50% Black and completely violates the amendments passed. That's why Brown was fighting so hard against it, there's no way that she could survive under a clean map.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #103 on: September 28, 2011, 11:16:08 PM »

I suppose we could consider the New Zealand system.
lowtech redneck
« Reply #104 on: September 29, 2011, 02:10:48 AM »

Brown's district is not VRA protected, it's not 50% Black and completely violates the amendments passed. That's why Brown was fighting so hard against it, there's no way that she could survive under a clean map.

If my findings are correct, then I hope you're right; it just doesn't seem that there are any consistent standards for this, though.  As an example, do you think the courts would have allowed the Georgia Republicans to turn Sanford Bishop's district into a 'leaning Republican' swing district (it wouldn't have been difficult) if they so desired?  The fact that it's technically possible to make the district majority-black without any major alterations might make the courts decide in Corrine Brown's favor.  The VRA (as interpreted by the courts) trumps other redistricting regulations after all....

muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #105 on: September 29, 2011, 06:58:25 AM »

FL-3 is over 50% black VAP by counting black alone or in combination with other races. The difficulty is keeping it over 50% while adding almost 40 K people to bring it up to the required population.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #106 on: September 29, 2011, 10:33:59 AM »

If my findings are correct, then I hope you're right; it just doesn't seem that there are any consistent standards for this, though.  As an example, do you think the courts would have allowed the Georgia Republicans to turn Sanford Bishop's district into a 'leaning Republican' swing district (it wouldn't have been difficult) if they so desired?  The fact that it's technically possible to make the district majority-black without any major alterations might make the courts decide in Corrine Brown's favor.  The VRA (as interpreted by the courts) trumps other redistricting regulations after all....

Bishop's district was only plurality black overall and plurality by VAP, it wasn't really protected. They could have attempted that, but it was more in their interest to put more black voters into Bishop's district to strengthen a neighboring district.

Brown's district was drawn as a Democratic vote sink. You got get it to 50%, but it would make for a very oddly drawn district, which the courts probably wouldn't like.

FL-3 is over 50% black VAP by counting black alone or in combination with other races. The difficulty is keeping it over 50% while adding almost 40 K people to bring it up to the required population.

It's about 44% Black in VAP now. With it possible to draw a compact minority-majority district in Orlando, that could clearly be seen as a successor district to Brown's current seat, at least it could to the court.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #107 on: September 29, 2011, 02:22:30 PM »

Bishop's district was only plurality black overall and plurality by VAP, it wasn't really protected. They could have attempted that, but it was more in their interest to put more black voters into Bishop's district to strengthen a neighboring district.

Brown's district was drawn as a Democratic vote sink. You got get it to 50%, but it would make for a very oddly drawn district, which the courts probably wouldn't like.

It's about 44% Black in VAP now. With it possible to draw a compact minority-majority district in Orlando, that could clearly be seen as a successor district to Brown's current seat, at least it could to the court.

I'm not sure where you get the 44% from. The US Census 2010 data reports that the single race BVAP is 48.9% for FL-03. There is an additional 1.5% VAP who report black in combination with another race. They count as well, so the total is over 50%.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #108 on: September 29, 2011, 04:05:27 PM »

I'm not sure where you get the 44% from. The US Census 2010 data reports that the single race BVAP is 48.9% for FL-03. There is an additional 1.5% VAP who report black in combination with another race. They count as well, so the total is over 50%.

I was looking at the redistricting app. Even with the 50%, the shape is what is the problem. NC-12 was struck down more than once because of how it was drawn. The courts do look at compactness to some extent even for the VRA.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #109 on: September 29, 2011, 04:20:00 PM »

The main thing is that Brown's seat was never drawn but because of the VRA, but by Brown herself backed by Republicans who wanted to use the district as a vote sink. It's nothing more than a standard Dem pack district.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #110 on: September 29, 2011, 06:17:53 PM »

I was looking at the redistricting app. Even with the 50%, the shape is what is the problem. NC-12 was struck down more than once because of how it was drawn. The courts do look at compactness to some extent even for the VRA.

The courts require compactness when necessary. NC-12 in 1992 was majority-black, but it failed to show the compelling state interest that justified the shape. The version from later in the decade was not a majority-black district, and eventually survived as a political but not racial gerrymander. IL-04 has survived because the non-compact form was the only way to achieve the VRA-protected district the past 20 years, and that did count as a compelling state interest.

I used DRA to get a new CD 3 that was over 49% BVAP. It's heavily gerrymandered with thinner connectors. I'm confident that it could break 50% at the block level, and probably does already if dual race white+black are added to the total (that's the DOJ standard).

Even though its ugly, it may be needed. FL is a section 5 state and that means its is subject to the no retrogression provision. Reducing the number of black-majority districts from 3 to 2 would be retrogression, and such a plan could fail a section 5 challenge. The compactness and respect for political boundaries in the new constitutional amendment are second tier requirements and explicitly defer to protection of racial and language minorities.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #111 on: November 28, 2011, 03:15:28 PM »

Here we go. The State Senate's Congressional draft.

RBH

« Reply #112 on: November 28, 2011, 03:22:52 PM »

CD10 and CD11 are brought to you by "Screw you Fair Districts Amendment!"
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #113 on: November 28, 2011, 03:27:36 PM »

And 22 looks just as ugly as before.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #114 on: November 28, 2011, 03:29:24 PM »

CD10 and CD11 are brought to you by "Screw you Fair Districts Amendment!"
Not to mention Orange County...
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #115 on: November 28, 2011, 03:35:22 PM »

Certainly quite a bit better than before. Although that isn't saying much.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #116 on: November 28, 2011, 03:36:58 PM »

Basically, obeying the law except where it would hurt them.

With a hilarious consequence in the mainland part of Monroe. Cheesy
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #117 on: November 28, 2011, 03:57:04 PM »

Also, it's like they knew some areas would be litigated and revised so they may as well just use a broad brush in Microsoft Paint.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #118 on: November 28, 2011, 03:59:20 PM »

Alcee Hastings lives in Pembroke Pines and is drawn out of his district.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #119 on: November 28, 2011, 04:23:54 PM »

Basically, obeying the law except where it would hurt them.

With a hilarious consequence in the mainland part of Monroe. Cheesy

Yep. A lot of the white Republican districts are cleaned up. John Mica for instance is placed out of his district.

'Compactness' is of course exceptionally difficult to litigate.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #120 on: November 28, 2011, 04:29:50 PM »

John Mica for instance is placed out of his district.

His tendril to Winter Park was lost and Daniel Webster gained a tendril to Winter Park.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #121 on: November 28, 2011, 04:31:12 PM »

His tendril to Winter Park was lost and Daniel Webster gained a tendril to Winter Park.
I am confused as to what the purpose of that is other than to make the new district as Hispanic as possible. I believe its Hispanic VAP is in the 40s.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #122 on: November 28, 2011, 04:36:51 PM »

I am confused as to what the purpose of that is other than to make the new district as Hispanic as possible. I believe its Hispanic VAP is in the 40s.
And the purpose of that is... to make that double split of Orange and Polk easier to defend in court?

Looking at South Florida... the 23rd lost its southern extension, wonder how much to the Dem side it moved (nothern part of the gerry is of course easily defended because it borders a Black district, so no surprises it doesn't change much). Debbie Schultz gets a saner district.
21st is weird, but partly covered by precedent (a slightly larger part of Collier is currently in the 25th, and Hendry is split roughly across that same line though with a different district in the western half.)
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #123 on: November 28, 2011, 04:44:12 PM »

Lawsuit time! The most likely result probably being the best too, that abomination being tossed a court-drawn map put in its place.

Though at least even under that Allen West is probably still toast and the Democrats could take FL-27 (though it'd have to be with someone other than Alan Grayson...which alone is enough reason to fight to get it tossed.)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #124 on: November 28, 2011, 04:52:35 PM »

Lawsuit time! The most likely result probably being the best too, that abomination being tossed a court-drawn map put in its place.

Though at least even under that Allen West is probably still toast and the Democrats could take FL-27 (though it'd have to be with someone other than Alan Grayson...which alone is enough reason to fight to get it tossed.)
27 is a safe Democratic seat. It might still not end up as drawn - that 8th tendril is difficult to defend.
The only other part I would think problematic is 10/11.
There's no way the 3rd will be tossed if the legislature won't do it, I'm afraid.
Somewhere seen it claimed that West's new district is 55% Obama - not enough to doom him, but not favored against a strong challenger. The 16th is apparently also going to be highly swingy.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies