Expect the Unexpected
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:19:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Expect the Unexpected
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Expect the Unexpected  (Read 5721 times)
Aero
AeroMaxx
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 23, 2010, 02:15:49 AM »
« edited: December 23, 2010, 02:22:08 AM by Aero »

OOC: My first attempt at a timeline faltered after the first post, so I'm going to try again as a newbie on here.  And a disclaimer before I start, I know the premise of this timeline is somewhat implausible, but it is just a pet project of mine and I hope everyone enjoys it. Smiley

----------

“Welcome viewers to CNN Election Center, I’m Wolf Blitzer and you are with the best political team on television. Tonight is the big night, as America casts its vote for President of the United States. This past general election campaign between President Barack Obama and Governor Bobby Jindal has been the fiercest and closest in recent memory. The polls on the East Coast have just closed, and we have former Clinton campaign manager and Democratic strategist James Carville to discuss the upcoming results. James?”

JAMES CARVILLE: Wolf, there’s no doubt President Obama is in a tight race for re-election right now. Governor Jindal, despite having only served one full term in Louisiana, has decisively managed to draw circles around the President in numerous policy areas. I’m sure everyone can recall Bobby’s viral statement in the first debate in Arizona against the health care bill. Exit polls show a dead heat between the two candidates in the key states like Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Wisconsin, so we’re going to be in for a long night.

WOLF BLITZER: The GOP establishment is obviously very energized this cycle by Jindal’s candidacy, and that could mean large gains for Republicans in Congress and the Senate, regardless of who wins tonight. Candy Crowley joins us from Washington, D.C. tonight.

CANDY CROWLEY: Correct Wolf, if recent polls are anything to go by, Republicans could gain as many as 15 seats in the House, bolstering their already large majority. In the Senate, Bill Nelson of Florida is in a tight race for a third term against former Governor Jeb Bush, and is trailing by 2 points in early exit polls. Same goes for Virginia Senate candidate Tom Perriello and Missouri Senator Claire McCaskill.

WOLF BLITZER: Are there any bright spots for the Democrats in the Senate among the ‘Red Tide’ expected to wash ashore tonight?

CANDY CROWLEY: Well, there is embattled Nevada Senator John Ensign, who has trailed Democratic candidate Dina Titus for most of the campaign. Otherwise, prospects for Senate Democrats look bleak in a strongly GOP year.

WOLF BLITZER: That was Candy Crowley in Washington, and we are now ready to make our first projections. We are calling the states of Kentucky and South Carolina for Governor Jindal, while President Obama takes Vermont.

KENTUCKY
(R) Bobby Jindal – 63.8%
(D) Barack Obama – 35.9%

SOUTH CAROLINA
(R) Bobby Jindal – 58.7%
(D) Barack Obama – 40.1%

VERMONT
(D) Barack Obama – 64.2%
(R) Bobby Jindal – 34.5%

Florida Senate Election - 19% PRECINCTS REPORTING

(R) Fmr Gov. Jeb Bush - 53.6%
(D) Sen. Bill Nelson - 46.1%

Virginia Senate Election - 12% PRECINCTS REPORTING

(R) Fmr Sen. George Allen - 50.7%
(D) Fmr Rep. Tom Periello - 47.9%

Senator Bill Nelson (D-FL) fights for his political life amongst continued resentment to the "Obama agenda", and his vote for the health care bill in 2010.

Can Dina Titus (D-NV) unseat embattled Senator John Ensign in a certain GOP wave year?

Who will win the 2012 Presidential Election?

Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 06:11:11 AM »

Great to see you over here Aero!
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 06:40:46 AM »

Wow mr. Jindal's margins in kentucky and SC mean that the election will be veeeeeeeeery close
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 09:04:46 AM »

Who are the running mates? Good timeline by the way!
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 09:24:02 AM »

Wow mr. Jindal's margins in kentucky and SC mean that the election will be veeeeeeeeery close

Republicans are supposed to get above 60% in both states regularly?
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 11:52:22 AM »

Republicans are supposed to get above 60% in both states regularly?

Yes, it could definitely happen with a black president in a close election, even if jindal is also coloured xD
Aero
AeroMaxx
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 01:23:30 PM »
« Edited: December 23, 2010, 01:26:06 PM by Aero »

OOC: Thanks for the initial comments everyone, as well as you too Ody!  Yes, the election will be very close, and Jindal's running mate will be revealed in due time. Wink

----------

“I’m declaring my candidacy for President of the United States because I believe this country needs effective leadership to solve its problems. President Obama has repeatedly shown the American people that he is not a capable leader, and that he is not looking out for them when it comes to his agenda. His health care reform has done nothing but saddle us with unnecessary debt that our children and our grandchildren will have to pay. He has neglected our deplorable economic state by increasing the federal budget deficit and ignoring job creation to put Americans back to work. This is not the America I want to live in, nor do I want others to live in. I've shown leadership during the Gulf oil spill crisis last year, and I believe that I can show it again if elected President. As for my duties as Governor, I will continue to serve the citizens of Lousiana as I have for the past four years."
- Governor Bobby Jindal (R-LA), June 20th, 2011

"Who the hell does Jindal think he is? Just because he got positive media exposure during the oil spill and has charisma, he can just waltz into the race like some big-shot? This will mean nothing but trouble for my campaign; if I'm going to win Iowa, I need to crush him before he gains any momentum with my supporters. Now with him in the primaries, there's sure to be massive vote-splitting, and he may as well hand the nomination to Romney on a silver platter. We need a solid conservative to unseat Obama next year, and I'm going to be that guy. We can't nominate a flip-flopper from Massachusetts with big-government baggage to boot."

"Another conservative in the race is exactly what I need if I'm going to win the nomination. Jindal's an honest man, an effective governor, and is brilliant when it comes to policy areas such as health care. But he is shooting himself in the foot by running this cycle, just as his standing within the party is continually rising, and risks discrediting himself for a potential run in the future. But as long as the conservative vote is heavily splintered between him, Gingrich, and Pawlenty, all I need to focus on is cruising to the nomination by winning New Hampshire, Florida, and the Super Tuesday states. Shame, he would've been an excellent candidate in 2016, or even succeeding me in 2020 as my vice president."

"It's no secret that I have a high respect and admiration for Governor Jindal, and I cannot think of anyone more qualified to become the next President of the United States and repeal the 'Obama agenda'. It's time that a solid conservative and proven reformer was nominated by the party, and Bobby Jindal is the guy who can carry us to victory on November 6th, 2012." - Rush Limbaugh, July 15th

PALIN ENDORSES JINDAL
Washington Post, Aug. 2, 2011

In a move that took the political realm by storm, former Alaska governor and 2008 vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin endorsed Bobby Jindal for the Republican presidential nomination. "My fellow Americans, we've seen the result of hope and change under President Obama, and it's done nothing but ruin the lives of ordinary people and dangerously expanded the federal government. And the establishment isn't helping by putting forth candidates who don't represent the values of the American people. But Governor Jindal has dared to step forward and challenge the establishment, and he's the right guy to take down President Obama next November!" Palin's statement has drawn fire from GOP leaders, with Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-KY) stating "[Palin] is inciting a divide in the party," while Tea Party groups praised the move as "a step toward fiscal responsibility in Washington."

Who will you vote for in the Iowa Republican primary? (PPP, Aug. 25-28, LV)
Pawlenty: 28.5%
Romney: 25.1%
Jindal: 21.6%
Thune: 11.4%
Gingrich: 7.7%
MOE +/- 2.5

"With the Tea Party machine behind Jindal, all we can do is pray we survive in Iowa." - Gov. Tim Pawlenty, privately

"There's a potential storm brewing out there." - David Plouffe to President Obama
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 01:57:05 PM »

I love the format of this, with showing the candidates' inner thoughts. Keep it coming!
Aero
AeroMaxx
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 06:29:48 PM »
« Edited: December 23, 2010, 06:31:53 PM by Aero »

After Sarah Palin’s surprise endorsement of Jindal, the Pawlenty campaign became extremely worried about their prospects in Iowa, and the primaries in general. With a southern conservative in the race, Pawlenty’s evangelical base was split and he was losing momentum in the Hawkeye state, potentially allowing for a Romney victory. “This is ridiculous, how could he just waltz on into the race and steal my thunder?” Pawlenty was outraged in the few months leading up to the caucus, according to several unnamed campaign aides. Meanwhile, Romney took advantage of the conservative split in Iowa and began campaigning heavily in September, at the same time being cautious of the juggernaut Jindal had become after the Palin endorsement. Moderate Republicans and Independents began flocking to Romney, more so out of disenchantment with the conservative split than affection toward the former Massachusetts governor. “Maybe we can actually win this and steamroll the competition,” Romney privately stated to his senior advisor, Alex Castellanos. Of course, Jindal was also gaining traction in Iowa, steadily passing Pawlenty in the polls by mid-December to take second place. Jindal and Romney were now in a dead heat for claiming victory in Iowa.

In the White House, President Barack Obama took notice of Jindal's seemingly meteoric rise in the Republican primaries. While he was expecting Romney to be his opponent in the general election, he became increasingly worried about the prospect of a Jindal nomination. Obama's campaign manager David Plouffe was most concerned about Bobby, privately warning the President, "If this guy clinches the GOP nomination, we won't only have to face an army of energized conservatives, but we'll be potentially screwed in the debates when he touches upon the health care issue." In the meantime though, the campaign focused on emphasizing the administration's accomplishments in the past two years, tangible as they were in light of the still-sluggish economy, stagnant unemployment, and increased opposition to the health care bill. Media speculation that Hillary Clinton would challenge the President in the Democratic primary was extinguished when the former First Lady stated on November 28th, "I have no interest in running for President a second time, nor will I in the future. I will continue to support the President's administration until January 20th, 2013, when I will step down as Secretary of State." Rumors that Vice President Joe Biden would be replaced were muted as well, when Obama stated in a press conference, "Vice President Biden has been an indispensable ally in my administration, and will continue to be throughout my presidency. That being said, I would like to announce that he will be joining me on the Democratic ticket for re-election next November."

An increasingly-optimistic Mitt Romney before a campaign speech at the University of Iowa, Dec. 1st.

Louisiana gubernatorial election, Oct. 22
(R) Gov. Piyush A. Jindal: 55.7%

(D) Mitchell J. Landrieu: 44.3%
Incumbent Governor: Bobby Jindal (R)

"Things have been going nowhere but up since Palin endorsed me in August. I've been barnstorming through Iowa these last few months, and though I am extremely exhausted from the hard work, I can't seem to take a break from campaigning. The voters really seem to view me as a candidate who's really trying to connect with them, listen to their concerns, and give real solutions to the nation's problems. And I'm thoroughly enjoying meeting the people from different parts of the state, from the corn farmers to the young college students in Cedar Rapids. Back in Louisiana, I was re-elected to a second term, albight with a smaller margin. I was expecting that considering that Louisianans must feel I'm abandoning them, but I will make up the lost ground with them if I manage to clinch the nomination. As for my opponents, Pawlenty is continually losing momentum as people are simply getting tired of his pathetic attacks on my candidacy. Don't get me wrong, he's an honest guy, but he seems jealous that I've effectively replaced him as the anti-Romney candidate in the race. Gingrich dropped out last month with no endorsement, though I've been in contact with him for his support, and he told me he will think about it. All I've got to focus on now these last few days is get out the vote with my superb supporters at my Iowa campaign headquarters and hope for the best on election night."
- Jindal Diaries, Jan. 31st

Bobby Jindal speaks to supporters in Waterloo three days ahead of the Iowa caucuses, Feb. 3rd.

Iowa caucuses, Feb. 6th [40]
Bobby Jindal: 39.2% - 20 Delegates

Mitt Romney: 30.6% - 13 Delegates
Tim Pawlenty: 22.1% - 5 Delegates
John Thune: 8.1% - 2 Delegates

RISING STAR: JINDAL WINS BIG IN IOWA
New York Times, Feb. 7, 2012

Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal continues to make waves with the GOP establishment, winning a blowout 39% of the vote in the Iowa caucuses, with Mitt Romney taking second place with 30% and former frontrunner Tim Pawlenty in a distant third with 22%. A jubilant Jindal claimed victory, stating "I couldn't have done this without the tireless efforts of my campaign and my supporters. You've proven the pundits wrong, that an underdog candidate can win in Iowa, and I'm extremely grateful for your help. Now let's continue to show them true leadership in New Hampshire!" Romney was clearly disappointed with the results, but gave a humble concession speech from his campaign headquarters in Des Moines. "I congratulate Governor Jindal on his impressive victory here in Iowa, and I look forward to campaigning alongside him in the primaries. It's time to learn from our defeat and turn it into a victory in New Hampshire." Pawlenty did not give a formal concession speech after the results, and media speculation has been swirling that he may withdraw from the race. But his campaign released a statement denying the rumors, stating "Governor Pawlenty has no intentions of suspending his candidacy, and will continue to push for the principles of limited government, as he always has in his public career."

"I'm through, he's got the best of me. What else is there to do?" - Tim Pawlenty

"It's a whole new ball game now." - David Plouffe, privately to President Obama
Einzige Mk. II
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: 5.32, S: -9.91

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 09:18:56 PM »

Hey look, it's a Republican Democrat!
Aero
AeroMaxx
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2010, 10:40:42 PM »

44. Barack H. Obama, Jr. (R-IL) 2009-Present Tongue

Anyways, just a heads up, the next update will include New Hampshire and the remainder of the primaries.
Aero
AeroMaxx
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2010, 05:34:57 PM »
« Edited: December 25, 2010, 05:48:25 PM by Aero »

GINGRICH ENDORSES JINDAL
RCP, Feb. 7, 2012

After over a month of silence since dropping out of the presidential race, former House Speaker Newt Gingrich endorsed Iowa caucus winner, Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal for the GOP nomination. At a press conference outside his Marietta, Georgia home, Gingrich stated, "Neither Romney or Pawlenty has what it takes to defeat President Obama and restore the principles of fiscal responsibility and limited government to the Oval Office. But Bobby Jindal has consistently fought for these principles in his twenty years of experience, and that's why I'm proud to give my endorsement to him for the Republican nomination for President this year." The Romney or Pawlenty campaigns did not release immediate responses to Gingrich's action. This move is expected to only strengthen Jindal's growing momentum in the primaries, as he ascends from underdog candidate to presumptive frontrunner after his win in Iowa that rocked the GOP establishment to its core.

"Jindal's win in Iowa may have set back my plans of making inroads with conservative voters, but I can still manage to win if I concentrate on New Hampshire. He may have momentum on his side, but he's too socially conservative and flashy for moderates and Independents. Plus I have regional and ideological appeal working to my advantage, being a former Republican governor of a staunchly Democratic state next door. The most recent internal poll puts me at eight points ahead of Bobby, and fifteen ahead of Pawlenty. If you ask me, Pawlenty is finished. He couldn't manage to out-perform me in his ideological and regional turf, and most of his support has gone to Jindal anyway. Yet he continues to persevere when the odds are increasingly stacked against him, and his place in the race has been taken by someone who's smarter, younger, and much more charismatic. Nonetheless, I think he'll drop out after New Hampshire, Super Tuesday at the latest. Until then, it's nothing but pounding the message home on the economy, and appealing to the moderates that are hesitant about Bobby. Oops, time to go! Campaign stop..."
- Romney Diaries, Feb. 7th

New Hampshire primary, Feb. 10th [24]
Mitt Romney: 44.3% - 14 Delegates

Bobby Jindal: 33.8% - 8 Delegates
John Thune: 14.1% - 1 Delegate
Tim Pawlenty: 7.5% - 1 Delegate

Romney celebrating his primary victory at a rally in Manchester, New Hampshire.
Aero
AeroMaxx
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2010, 06:50:26 PM »

Any questions, criticism, or comments before I go on with the Republican primaries?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2010, 11:39:06 PM »

Good updates! Smiley
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2010, 12:45:43 PM »

Good timeline! Maybe we'll have a Jindal/Palin ticket?
Aero
AeroMaxx
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2010, 02:50:58 PM »
« Edited: December 31, 2010, 02:55:44 PM by Aero »

Florida Primary, Jan. 31 [114] *final tally includes supers
Bobby Jindal: 45.7%, 81 delegates*
Mitt Romney: 40.1%, 41 delegates*
Tim Pawlenty: 14.2%, 21 delegates*

As the first three contests of the Republican primary season concluded, the Pawlenty campaign started falling apart under pressure. While party leaders and conservative figures called on the former Minnesota governor to withdraw from the race, citing a need for "conservative unity", Pawlenty staunchly refused to even consider dropping out until Super Tuesday. As one unnamed senior campaign aide described it, "his eyes were filled with rage and jealousy. He didn't want Romney to win, but he didn't want [Jindal] to claim his 'rightful place' as the conservative candidate." While Pawlenty continued to spew fumes, frontrunner Bobby Jindal moved to capitalize on his momentum and barnstormed through the Super Tuesday states. Meanwhile Mitt Romney focused his campaign's efforts in California, where polls showed a statistical tie in the biggest prize on February 7th. Super Tuesday posed two different forces: a conservative multi-state sweep, and an establishment focus on select states. National polls showed a statistical tie between Jindal and Romney, with an edge towards the former candidate.

"If you told me five months ago that I would be in the position I'm in now, I would have called you crazy and laughed. But considering what has happened these last few months, there's no plausible or possible way to get the nomination, not by a long shot. The hotshot from Louisiana may have replaced me, but as long as I'm still standing, he ain't going anywhere near the nomination. Romney's a flip-flopper in the vain of Kerry, and he isn't any better for the party if he were to become the nominee. Either way, I hope they both go down in flames to President Obama, so I can come back swinging in four years, assuming the 'heir apparent' rule still applies after this cycle." - Tim Pawlenty to campaign manager Steve Schmidt

Super Tuesday, Feb. 7
Alabama [48]
Bobby Jindal: 59.8%, 36 delegates
Mitt Romney: 29.1%, 9 delegates
Tim Pawlenty: 11.2%, 3 delegates

California [173]
Bobby Jindal: 44.5%, 110 delegates
Mitt Romney: 41.8%, 58 delegates
Tim Pawlenty: 13.6%, 5 delegates

Connecticut [30]
Mitt Romney: 50.4%, 18 delegates
Bobby Jindal: 38.4%, 10 delegates
Tim Pawlenty: 12.2%, 2 delegates

Delaware [18]
Mitt Romney: 49.4%, 11 delegates
Bobby Jindal: 43.2%, 6 delegates
Tim Pawlenty: 8.5%, 1 delegate

Georgia [72]
Bobby Jindal: 54.5%, 43 delegates
Mitt Romney: 23.1%, 19 delegates
Tim Pawlenty: 22.4%, 10 delegates

Missouri [58]
Bobby Jindal: 47.6%, 38 delegates
Mitt Romney: 34.1%, 18 delegates
Tim Pawlenty: 18.7%, 2 Delegates

New Jersey [52]
Mitt Romney: 53.9%, 34 delegates
Bobby Jindal: 38.7%, 15 delegates
Tim Pawlenty: 15.1%, 3 delegates

New York [101]
Mitt Romney: 50.2%, 57 delegates
Bobby Jindal: 40.1%, 40 delegates
Tim Pawlenty: 9.4%, 6 delegates

Oklahoma [41]
Bobby Jindal: 50.3%, 29 delegates
Mitt Romney: 35.7%, 11 delegates
Tim Pawlenty: 14%, 1 delegate

Tennessee [55]
Bobby Jindal: 54.3%, 35 delegates
Mitt Romney: 39%, 18 delegates
Tim Pawlenty: 6.7%, 2 delegates

Utah [36]
Mitt Romney: 90.1%, 36 delegates

Delegate count as of Feb. 7, 2012
Bobby Jindal: 471
Mitt Romney: 316
Tim Pawlenty: 41

PAWLENTY SUSPENDS CAMPAIGN
CNN.com, Feb. 9

After wide speculation and pressure, former Minnesota governor and presidential candidate Tim Pawlenty suspended his campaign for the GOP nomination on Thursday. However, he declined to give an endorsement to either of his rivals, Mitt Romney and Bobby Jindal. In his concession speech from his campaign headquarters in St. Paul, Minnesota, Pawlenty stated, “The Republican Party and the American people have expressed their opinion, and they stated that they don’t want me to be their presidential nominee this November. I respect the electorate’s and the party’s wishes, and I will suspend my presidential campaign indefinitely. As for endorsements, I will not give one until a nominee is decided at the Republican National Convention.” Pawlenty’s withdrawal leaves only Jindal and Romney in the race for the Republican presidential nomination, and the momentum appears to be on the Louisiana governor’s side for the moment.

Governor Pawlenty at his withdrawal address in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2010, 03:37:58 PM »

there are some states where I count more than 100% of votes haha.. but, anyways, this is an amazing TL =)
Aero
AeroMaxx
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2010, 05:24:19 PM »
« Edited: December 31, 2010, 05:27:33 PM by Aero »

Good timeline! Maybe we'll have a Jindal/Palin ticket?
Jindal would have to be insane to pick Palin as his running mate.  Besides, he already has Tea Party support (with or without Palin's endorsement) and Palin will get a prime time slot at the RNC in Tampa. Wink

----------

Maryland [37]
Bobby Jindal: 53.1%, 23 delegates
Mitt Romney: 46.9%, 14 delegates

Virginia [63]
Bobby Jindal: 54.6%, 42 delegates
Mitt Romney: 45.4%, 21 delegates

Nevada (Feb. 21) [34]
Bobby Jindal: 53.8%, 22 delegates
Mitt Romney: 46.2%, 11 delegates

South Carolina [47]
Bobby Jindal: 61.6%, 37 delegates
Mitt Romney: 38.4%, 10 delegates

Hawaii [20]
Bobby Jindal: 53.8%, 13 delegates
Mitt Romney: 46.2%, 7 delegates

Wisconsin [40]
Bobby Jindal: 54.2%, 27 delegates
Mitt Romney: 45.8%, 13 delegates

Republican delegates count as of Feb. 27
1191 NEEDED TO NOMINATE

Bobby Jindal: 635
Mitt Romney: 392

Arizona (Feb. 28) [53]
Bobby Jindal: 56.3%, 38 delegates
Mitt Romney: 43.7%, 15 delegates

Michigan [60]
Mitt Romney: 55.4%, 36 delegates
Bobby Jindal: 44.6%, 24 delegates

Mini-Tuesday, Mar. 6
Minnesota [41]
Bobby Jindal: 54.7%, 27 delegates
Mitt Romney: 45.3%, 14 delegates

Massachusetts [43]
Mitt Romney: 60.3%, 29 delegates
Bobby Jindal: 39.7%, 14 delegates

Ohio [88]
Bobby Jindal: 55.8%, 58 delegates
Mitt Romney: 44.2%, 30 delegates

Rhode Island [20]
Mitt Romney: 57.4%, 13 delegates
Bobby Jindal: 42.6%, 7 delegates

Texas [140]
Bobby Jindal: 58.1%, 93 delegates
Mitt Romney: 41.9%, 47 delegates

Vermont [30]
Mitt Romney: 61.2%, 21 delegates
Bobby Jindal: 38.8%, 9 delegates

Republican delegate count as of Mar. 7
Bobby Jindal: 905
Mitt Romney: 597

After the Ohio and Texas primaries, Jindal had enormous and decisive leads over Romney in the delegate count and national polls. With only three hundred delegates separating him and the nomination, Jindal had effectively eliminated any chance for Romney to take over his lead. Both candidates knew this, and on March 8th, Romney delivered the speech that would end his political career. "I am announcing my withdrawal from the presidential race, as I believe that continuing on will only inhibit the Republican Party's chances at winning in November. Therefore, I am proud to throw my support behind my worthy opponent and colleague, Louisiana governor Bobby Jindal. To my supporters, it is unfortunate that all of our hard work over the past year has come down to this, but if we don't move on we will have fought in vain. It is time to take the energy and enthusiasm you showed for my campaign, and use it to propel Bobby Jindal to victory this November!" With every rival now out of the race, Jindal became the presumptive nominee for the Republican Party. His campaign immediately shifted gears to general election mode, with the first priority being the tapping of a running mate and preparing for the Republican National Convention in Florida.

Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal, presumptive Republican nominee for President
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2011, 10:34:14 PM »

I bet RB is loving this.

But I think that Romney would win AZ and NV-remember the Mormons.
Aero
AeroMaxx
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2011, 12:30:07 AM »
« Edited: January 04, 2011, 12:34:41 AM by Aero »

I bet RB is loving this.

But I think that Romney would win AZ and NV-remember the Mormons.
You may be right, but I doubt it would make much of a difference at this point.  And RB should be thoroughly enjoying this, considering he offered to draft a debate dialogue for the TL. Wink

Anyways, update time!

----------

“My worst fears have been fully played out: Bobby Jindal has won the GOP nomination against all odds, and he is poised to tear the administration’s legacy to shreds with his signature mild-mannered attacks. I warned the President this could’ve happened, and it did. But he seemed content to place his bets on the flip-flopping Romney, who had no credibility with the conservative base. Nonetheless, Obama has finally decided to kick the campaign into high gear to rally enthusiasm with the party base, who have been disenchanted with his legislative accomplishments. The campaign staff has been working tirelessly on the new campaign theme, which will be rolled out at the convention in Charlotte in August. It’s essentially a reassurance of the President’s message from ’08, but I can’t say much more without giving it away. Oh, time to go, strategy session with the President!” – Plouffe diaries, May 15th.

Obama campaign manager David Plouffe addressing reporters at the White House.

After becoming the presumptive GOP nominee, the Jindal campaign kicked into high gear for the upcoming onslaught of the general election campaign. The first order of business was to decide on a running mate; both the Governor and the party establishment knew that the White House would likely attack him with the "experience" argument, right out of the McCain playbook in '08. So the pick would have to be a figure who was acceptable to both wings of the party, an establishment figure, and most importantly someone with an extensive resume. After reviewing numerous possibilities, the campaign staff submitted a shortlist of four names: Senator Scott Brown of Massachusetts, Senator Rob Portman of Ohio, Governor Rick Perry of Texas, and Governor Bob McDonnell of Virginia. Brown was quickly written off as he had only been a U.S. Senator for two years, was a textbook example of a "Rocky Republican", and was in a potentially tight re-election race against whoever the Democrats nominated to challenge him. Portman was the next to be eliminated, as Jindal had other plans in mind for him, namely an economic position in the cabinet if he were to be elected in November. This left Perry and McDonnell; both were fairly popular governors in their respective states, establishment conservatives, and would fill in the areas where Jindal was lacking. Perry was a three-term governor from a large state, a solid conservative, and a nationally recognized figure, but sparked controversy over comments made in April 2009 when he apparently suggested Texas' secession from the Union. McDonnell was a governor of a swing state, highly popular, but also stirred controversy with his "Confederate History Month" proposal in 2010.

After a long consultation with campaign manager Steve Schmidt, and a complete and thorough vetting of both Perry and McDonnell, Jindal now had to make up his mind on who to pick for his running mate. Jindal was different from most presidential nominees, who would have looked for a lack of ambition for higher office. Not Bobby, ideally he would've liked a running mate who was "combative and feisty, and a potential successor," as one campaign aide put it. But that meant picking someone out of the Class of 2010, such as Senator Marco Rubio of Florida, and that was not an option due to the experience deficit that would bring to the ticket. In the end Jindal had to make due with what he had, and told Schmidt, "Call him, and get ready for the July 15th rollout."
Aero
AeroMaxx
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2011, 09:06:25 PM »
« Edited: January 04, 2011, 09:11:14 PM by Aero »

DOUBLE DOUBLE: JINDAL TAPS PERRY FOR VP
CNN.com, July 15th, 2012

Gov. Bobby Jindal (R-LA), the Republican presidential nominee, confirmed the speculation of many Beltway pundits by tapping Gov. Rick Perry (R-TX) as his running mate. Due to the concern that the Republican ticket would lack experience, most had predicted that Jindal would choose an older establishment figure, which Perry embodies quite well, to fill in the void in the ticket. During the campaign's rollout for Perry at a rally in San Antonio, TX, Jindal praised Perry as "the best possible candidate to unite the Republican Party, from moderates to conservatives, as well as the nation in this era of partisan divide. As governor of Texas, Perry has passed numerous pieces of legislation that has helped millions of Texans, from health care to infrastructure and the economy. This is the reason I've chosen Rick Perry to be my running mate, and will be an invaluable ally in my presidential administration come January 20th, 2013."

"Everything is panning out according to plan. Perry was an excellent choice for my vice president, and has without hesitation consented to every plank of my campaign platform, namely entitlement reform. I couldn't ask for a better running mate, though I am still interested in having a successor to me in the White House. The preparations for the convention in Tampa are moving along smoothly, and the mood of the campaign forecasts an enthusiastic affair for the party. Contrast that with the President, who's party is emanating a feeling that they are attending a funeral service. In the meantime until the party convenes, I've been enjoying time with Supriya and the kids, and preparing my acceptance speech with the team. I'm not going to let advisors manipulate my voice like during my response to the President's SOTU in '10, and I absolutely do not want that to dictate my image in the eyes of Independents. No, this time I'm in control and the message will be set straight. Time to turn in for the night, strategy session with Schmidt tomorrow, bright and early!"
- Jindal Diaries, July 30th

"My fellow Americans, this is it! In one week, a solid conservative, proven reformer, and true patriot will be nominated by the Republican Party. Governor Bobby Jindal has shown the Washington establishment that an underdog can come from behind, an underdog can win the nomination, and soon he will show that an underdog can defeat a failed president." - Rush Limbaugh, August 6th

REPUBLICAN NATIONAL CONVENTION, TAMPA FL, August 13th-16th, 2012

The noise inside the St Petersburg Times Forum was deafening. Thousands of party delegates and supporters were ecstatic to see and be wowed by Governor Jindal. After former Florida governor and convention chairman Jeb Bush introduced the 42-year old from Louisiana as "the next President of the United States," Bobby appeared on the stage and greeted the roaring crowd. When the time came to deliver his acceptance speech, the halls fell silent, anxious to hear him speak. He was flashy, yet humble, fiery, yet controlled. "My fellow Americans, it is time to move forward from the failures of the past, and to implement new policies that will benefit the nation for generations to come. President Barack Obama has relied on 20th Century solutions to solve 21st Century problems, and he has repeatedly shown the country that he cannot and will not change his message. He doesn't want to remind us that we are the greatest nation in modern history, be it our cherished freedoms, our fabled Constitution, or the diverse communities of people that call America home... We most move away from the President's goal of being a post-American president, and elect a person who will be a pro-American president!"

Governor Jindal was complimented with a deafening applause and cheers at the end of his speech, then proceeded to introduce his running mate, Texas Governor Rick Perry. The convention responded to Perry's introduction with enthusiastic positivity, as well as to Perry's speech, which focused on attacks on the Obama administration's track record. "We've seen the effects of President Obama's irresponsible, liberal policies on our nation. A faltering economy, government interference with our constitutional rights, socialized medicine, and a ballooning federal budget deficit. I don't know about the Democrats, but I sure do feel like switching gears and electing a President who will respect individuals' rights, allow the free market to work as intended, and limit the size of the federal government."

"This election has two polar opposites: two proven reformers and patriots on one side, and a failed president on the other. I don't know about the Democrats in Washington, but I think the choice for Americans is crystal clear." - Sarah Palin (R-AK) at the RNC, August 15th

In contrast to the dynamism and jubilee of the RNC, the Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, North Carolina seemed like a somber affair. The President, despite his and the campaign's best efforts, was unable to bolster the enthusiasm that was desperately needed from the liberal base of the party. However, during his renomination speech on August 24th, Obama gave a humble, yet emanating voice which would prove a blessing that the party had been looking for. "The Republican Party seeks to take this country back to the era of Reagan, which is not as glorious as our opponents attempt to portray it. They have accused my administration of misleading the American public on numerous issues, from the recovering economy to the health care reform bill passed in 2010. They have stated my economic policies will keep the economy in an anemic state, teetering on the brink of another recession, and that health care reform will harm Americans more than it will help. Quite the contrary, as the Department of Labor has revised its jobs forecast for the unemployment rate from 8.8 to 8.5% in September, the economy is set to grow 2.8% in the fourth quarter, and the full effects of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) won't be felt until 2014. My promise to America in my second term is Reassurance. A reassurance of an economy at pre-recession levels, a reassurance of affordable health care for every American, and a reassurance of an unemployment rate below 6% by January 20th, 2017." The President's address received an applause that was unmatched by anything that occurred previously in the convention; it seemed that the Democratic Party had rediscovered the enthusiasm that was lost since 2010.

"It's time to learn from the mistakes of the past and move America forward toward a progressive future, and we can only do that by re-electing President Barack Obama on November 6th!" - Senate candidate Gavin Newsom (D-CA) giving the keynote address at the DNC, August 23rd

CNN/Gallup Poll
August 27th-30th, 2012
Who will you vote for President this November - Barack Obama or Bobby Jindal?

Barack Obama - 47%
Bobby Jindal - 47%
(MOE +/- 2.6%)

Obama / Biden - 237 EV
Jindal / Perry - 235 EV
Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
hantheguitarman

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2011, 09:28:26 PM »

Great TL, Aero! You already know me from AH.com BTW. Wink Anyway, GO BOBBYYY!!!!!! Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Aero
AeroMaxx
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2011, 10:39:15 PM »

OOC: Never did wrap this up... I guess I will do try to do that now. Tongue

--------

"Times have been rough following the convention in Charlotte. While the President has picked up the momentum he needed with his energy-enthused acceptance speech, polls are showing a statistical tie between him and Jindal. What's needed to break the stalemate is something bold and brazen, something not seen even in '08, but we don't know what that something is yet. Some staffers have been clamoring for the campaign to go even further in attack ads against Jindal, such as his charisma and charm, but that would backfire badly, just like what happened to Robert Kennedy's opponents back in the day. The tentative plan is to push forward defending the President's record on the economy and health care, despite the fierce attacks by the Republicans, especially Perry. Must be off, the President's on the stump!"
- Plouffe Diaries, September 18th

The Republican ticket stormed out of the gate following the convention, attacking President Obama’s record at every turn. Numerous issues cropped up during the campaign, but none was more divisive or more controversial than the President’s health care bill. As vice presidential candidate Rick Perry remarked at a rally in Jacksonville, Florida, “it’s the epitome of Barack Obama’s promise to the American people. Wasteful government spending at its finest.” The incumbent Democratic ticket fought back valiantly against the claims that it would increase the deficit, but the Republicans were better at gaining the public’s opinion with a blitzkrieg of political ads and events. By the time October came around, polls indicated a dead tie between Jindal and Obama, though that would change following the debacle at the first presidential debate at the University of Southern California.

PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE, USC, LOS ANGELES CA, October 21st, 2012

President Obama knew he would be in for a tough fight, since Jindal was a fiery debater and just as well versed in policy as himself. But little did he know that the debate would be tipped slightly in his opponent's favor once Jindal remarked on the PPACA. Obama stated to the moderator, “My administration has made great strides in reforming the health care industry to bring affordable coverage to ordinary Americans. The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act that Congress and I worked tirelessly to pass in March of 2010 will come into full force in less than two years, and then will the nation benefit from its effects.” Once the moderator gave Jindal the signal to respond, the youthful Louisiana governor took no time to deliver a fiery rebuttal.

“Mr. President, your health care bill will not lower the costs of coverage for the American people, nor will it lower the federal budget deficit over the next decade. In fact, most reliable sources project that your legislation will increase the deficit, and straddle future generations of Americans with outrageous debt.” Bobby went on for the next three minutes with his famous wonkery on health care policy, and then sealed the fate of the President with his viral statement. “You had options, sir, and you chose to hide the true costs of your health care ‘reform’ from the American people. That just goes to show you have failed in your promises, you have failed in your governing, and you have failed in your country.”

Most commentators rated the debate as a tie, with Obama winning on content and Jindal winning on style (if not for his lightning-fast rebuttal to the health care question, it may have been seen as a slight Obama victory). The debate may have put the administration on the defensive when it came to the economy still reeling from anemic growth, unemployment stubbornly stagnant at 8.4 percent, and health care still a hot button issue, but all polls still showed a virtual tie going into the election.  The Jindal/Perry ticket continued to hammer the administration on the lack of economic growth, while President Obama blasted the Republicans as a whole as "the do-nothing House" for their record on job creation.  Whoever would come out on top still remained to be seen...

"Sock it to em, Bobby." - anonymous supporter at Jindal Rally, November 1st

NOVEMBER 6TH, 2012 - CNN ELECTION CENTER - 7:00 PM EST

WOLF BLITZER: "... and we're back to CNN Election Center, bringing you complete coverage of Election Night in America. For those of you just joining us, incumbent President Barack Obama faces an extraordinarily strong challenge from Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal in the presidential election. Only a few states have been called in the last hour, but the next round of states is expected to close their polls in a few minutes..."

GEORGIA
Governor Bobby Jindal

INDIANA
TOO CLOSE TO CALL

KENTUCKY
Governor Bobby Jindal

SOUTH CAROLINA
Governor Bobby Jindal

VERMONT
President Barack Obama

VIRGINIA
TOO CLOSE TOO CALL

Jindal/Perry - 33 EV
Obama/Biden - 3 EV
TCTC - 24 EV

***7:30 PM EST***

OHIO
TOO CLOSE TO CALL

NORTH CAROLINA
TOO CLOSE TO CALL

WEST VIRGINIA
Governor Bobby Jindal

Jindal/Perry - 38 EV
Obama/Biden - 3 EV
TCTC - 57 EV
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2011, 10:42:44 PM »

I remember this! Thank you for bringing it back up. Smiley
Aero
AeroMaxx
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2012, 05:42:15 PM »
« Edited: January 03, 2012, 06:00:25 PM by Aero »

OOC: Continuing to wrap this up, just so I can get it out of the way.

***8:00 PM***

ALABAMA
Governor Bobby Jindal

CONNECTICUT
President Barack Obama

DELAWARE
President Barack Obama

FLORIDA
TOO CLOSE TO CALL

ILLINOIS
President Barack Obama

MAINE
President Barack Obama

MARYLAND
President Barack Obama

MASSACHUSETTS
President Barack Obama

MISSISSIPPI
Governor Bobby Jindal

MISSOURI
Governor Bobby Jindal

NEW HAMPSHIRE
TOO CLOSE TO CALL

NEW JERSEY
President Barack Obama

OKLAHOMA
Governor Bobby Jindal

PENNSYLVANIA
TOO CLOSE TO CALL

TENNESSEE
Governor Bobby Jindal

WASHINGTON, D.C.
President Barack Obama

Jindal/Perry - 81 EV
Obama/Biden - 75 EV
TCTC - 110 EV

8:30 PM EST -
"We are now able to call two states that were previously too close to call, according to new exit polls. CNN is projecting that Governor Jindal will carry Indiana and its eleven electoral votes, while President Obama will carry Pennsylvania and its twenty electoral votes. In addition, the we are now able to project that Arkansas and its six electoral votes will go to Governor Jindal. The race remains extremely tight, and it looks like we'll be in for a long night..."

INDIANA
Governor Bobby Jindal

PENNSYLVANIA
President Barack Obama

ARKANSAS
Governor Bobby Jindal

Jindal/Perry - 98 EV

Obama/Biden - 95 EV
TCTC - 79 EV
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to: