US House Redistricting: New York
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:39:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  US House Redistricting: New York
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 41
Author Topic: US House Redistricting: New York  (Read 135806 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: September 10, 2011, 01:59:54 PM »

Made a few changes. I put Baldwin Harbor in NY-3 as well as southern Freeport. These were the areas that made NY-3 discontinuous (only had 17,000 odd residents). And surprisingly I found some precincts to the north of NY-6 that had more Black residents than the areas I took out, so now my NY-6 is 50% VAP instead of 49.9%.

I evened out the city splits, but to my surprise it wasn't so bad to begin with. I just didn't care about reducing city splitting last night. Too tired, and drunk. Anyways, now only Hicksville is split between CD-3 and CD-5. East Massapequa is split between CD-3 and 2. And Oakdale is split between CD-1 and 2. The partisan stats are still the same for all the districts.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #301 on: September 10, 2011, 03:01:50 PM »
« Edited: September 11, 2011, 12:29:43 PM by Torie »

In the meantime, by making NY-06 a bit more erose, I got it up to 50% black VAP (finally!), which changed the numbers a bit in 6 other CD's, including making NY-03 a tad more GOP, and NY-09 discernibly more GOP. NY-05 gets a couple of tenths of a point more Dem. That is how the cookie crumbled.

As to upstate, I just blew up the old map that had next to nothing to recommend it, and started over. There will be some highly competitive CD's up there. Scozzafava, Gibson and Hinchey are all put under more pressure, particularly Hinchey who I don't think could survive. Buerkle (R) joins McCarthy as having no CD to run in really. I guess she could fight it out with Scozzafava in a primary to see who faces a Dem in a marginal CD, with a slight Dem tilt.

So with a court map as I drew it, the GOP gets NY-08 (formerly NY-09), one Dem and one GOP CD disappear, and Ackerman (D) gets but a lean DEM CD, along with King (R). Other CD's are pushed into the weak safe category. The Dem who won that special election in the most GOP CD in the state in the lower tier counties of upstate NY and wrapping around Rochester to the west (that big red CD) is put under more pressure too. He's probably toast. Not bad. Oh, Louise Slaughter will have to act less crazy up there in Rochester, or she might be gone too.

And here is an upstate map that shows the county chops, which were minimized:

NY Jew

« Reply #302 on: September 10, 2011, 10:29:47 PM »

Why would Democrats ever accept a map like this?

because it's not anti semtic like the current one is (something the democrats are officially against)
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #303 on: September 10, 2011, 10:47:37 PM »

because it's not anti semtic like the current one is (something the democrats are officially against)

Protecting Jewish incumbents does not make a map anti-Semitic.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #304 on: September 10, 2011, 11:39:11 PM »

Ah, Torie, last I checked Scozzafava isn't in Congress, nor will she be anytime soon. Tongue

they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #305 on: September 10, 2011, 11:42:06 PM »

Just because Torie dislikes him doesn't mean the GOP would be willing to throw King under the bus (I must note he is by far the most senior Republican in New York's delegation.)
NY Jew

« Reply #306 on: September 10, 2011, 11:55:15 PM »
« Edited: September 10, 2011, 11:58:00 PM by NY Jew »

Protecting Jewish incumbents does not make a map anti-Semitic.
dividing the contiguous Orthodox population up in to 6 Congressional districts is anti semtic
dividing one Orthodox Jewish neighborhood in to 5 Congressional districts is Anti Semitic (only 2 out of those 5 were jewish 10 years ago and both Jews values are despised by many in the district even 10 years ago, they couldn't be elected dog catcher if there was an ungerrymandered district)

I have a Orthodox jewish neighborhood that's divided into 5 Congressional Districts try to find any neighborhood besides this in the country that's divided in to 4 Congressional Districts (you can't because it doesn't exist).
 If that's not anti semtic I guess there was no need for the voting rights act.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #307 on: September 11, 2011, 08:46:52 AM »

Yes, Shelly Silver is such an antisemite.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #308 on: September 11, 2011, 09:35:38 AM »

This guy is either 12 years old or a sock.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #309 on: September 11, 2011, 09:48:22 AM »

No, just 12 years old or fairly insular and not that bright.

I don't see how anyone can doubt he's from the place and community he posts about.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #310 on: September 11, 2011, 10:10:38 AM »

I don't see how anyone can doubt he's from the place and community he posts about.

Perhaps being raised Jewish just outside NYC, albeit not Orthodox, gives me a sense of what seems authentic to me and what sounds like a kosher version of CoburnFan. I would like to think people don't throw around the word "anti-Semitic" or "anti-Semtic" this loosely, to me that rings true of someone pretending to be a certain minority, to play up accusations that real people know have to be deployed carefully.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #311 on: September 11, 2011, 10:46:58 AM »

Meh.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #312 on: September 11, 2011, 10:50:50 AM »

Ah, Torie, last I checked Scozzafava isn't in Congress, nor will she be anytime soon. Tongue

All these Newbies. I just get so confused, and I even googled it. But I was impaired.  Smiley
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #313 on: September 11, 2011, 10:53:03 AM »

One can dream.....
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #314 on: September 11, 2011, 10:55:36 AM »
« Edited: September 11, 2011, 11:57:35 AM by Torie »

Just because Torie dislikes him doesn't mean the GOP would be willing to throw King under the bus (I must note he is by far the most senior Republican in New York's delegation.)

It depends on how much the Pubbies are willing to pay to prop up King. Sure, if they want to play the prop up Israel, and maybe Ackerman, in exchange for bleaching out King's CD some more game, OK. If the price is to give up a new GOP seat in Brooklyn, particularly one held by a newly elected Turner, that is just dumb.

If I were the NY Pubbies, I would just give the Dems my map, and say here is what we think is the default option. This is "the court" on which we are going to play. Deal with it.

I fixed my chart above btw, making it even more complicated and confusing. Tongue  I estimate that a court drawn map will cause the Dems to absorb net both the seats lost to NY, with the Pubbies breaking even. Or depending on how you view it,  the Pubbies lose a half seat from redistricting if you view NY-26 as unaffected by redistricting, but given that Hochul remains in danger since she was not helped enough by the new lines, the Pubs still come out even.

NY Jew

« Reply #315 on: September 11, 2011, 01:27:32 PM »

I'm not from Brooklyn
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #316 on: September 11, 2011, 01:46:29 PM »

I'm not from Brooklyn

This sort of stuff belongs in the US Discussion Board. That is where  all this backbiting should go. That is why we have two moderators there to rather fruitlessly try to herd the feral cats. Muon2 wants his board to stay on topic. And while he does not give out death points, he is not shy about deleting posts. Smiley
NY Jew

« Reply #317 on: September 11, 2011, 01:47:38 PM »
« Edited: September 11, 2011, 01:51:26 PM by NY Jew »

I might be a complete idiot but here are the facts (please interpret it for me)

1. there is 1 neighborhood in the country that has 5 Congressional Districts
2. this just so happens to be one of the most Orthodox neighborhoods in the country
3. there is no neighborhoods in the country that has 4 Congressional Districts
4. this same Neighborhood has 6 Assembly districts (arguably 7 depending on how you want to define neighborhoods)
5. I can't find another Neighborhood in the state that has 5 Assembly districts
6. There is 1 neighborhood in NY state that has 5 state Senate districts
7. this happens to be the neighborhood that has the highest percentage of Orthodox Jews in any city in the conutry
8. explain to me why Jewish Williamsburg population has been split in half (not along the BQE either in some of them) on every level of government (except on the Congressional level where the vote is negligible compared to the size of the district)
9. explain to me why the jewish community in Monsey is split into 2 Assembly seats (it's upstate so it should be easier to not disect communities)
10. explain to me why they even though the Orthodox Jewish population is one of the fastest growing communities in the state we had more Orthodox seats before the last redistricting process and even more in the one before that .
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #318 on: September 11, 2011, 01:51:40 PM »

It is probably due to the VRA and for partisan reasons, not for Orthodox Jew qua Orthodox Jew reasons don't you think? 
NY Jew

« Reply #319 on: September 11, 2011, 01:58:33 PM »

in regards to the voting rights act
there are plenty of ways to do it with out getting in trouble with the voting rights act.
There is no excuse for Nadler being in Borough Park and Flatbush.

in regards to the partisan I guess gerrymandering black areas during Jim Crow wasn't racist it was partisan politics.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #320 on: September 11, 2011, 02:12:28 PM »

there are plenty of ways to do it with out getting in trouble with the voting rights act.

in regards to the partisan I guess gerrymandering black areas during Jim Crow wasn't racist it was partisan politics.

To make your case, you would need to do it on an individual district basis (with maps), and show that there are no reasonable motives other than animus against Orthodox Jews as to why the lines were drawn the way they were drawn. The Dems have controlled state assembly seat redistricting since rocks cooled, and of course are trying to max their numbers, while hewing to the VRA, just the way the Pubs have done for the NY state senate.
NY Jew

« Reply #321 on: September 11, 2011, 02:47:37 PM »

To make your case, you would need to do it on an individual district basis (with maps), and show that there are no reasonable motives other than animus against Orthodox Jews as to why the lines were drawn the way they were drawn. The Dems have controlled state assembly seat redistricting since rocks cooled, and of course are trying to max their numbers, while hewing to the VRA, just the way the Pubs have done for the NY state senate.
then why is (one of?) the most Conservative area in the country divided in to 5 state senate districts.
NY Jew

« Reply #322 on: September 11, 2011, 02:52:26 PM »

please explain 39th City Council district
and the 41 Assembly district
and the 8th congressional district
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #323 on: September 11, 2011, 03:46:05 PM »

Once again, how exactly does Silver (who I understand is not an entirely powerless figure within the NY legislature) fit in with this antisemitic conspiracy?
NY Jew

« Reply #324 on: September 11, 2011, 03:55:05 PM »

Once again, how exactly does Silver (who I understand is not an entirely powerless figure within the NY legislature) fit in with this antisemitic conspiracy?
Silver is the most power hungry person in this state (he would sell his mother down the river for a little more of it, and everyone knows it)
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 41  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies