US House Redistricting: New York
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 15, 2024, 10:55:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  US House Redistricting: New York
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 41
Author Topic: US House Redistricting: New York  (Read 135620 times)
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #525 on: March 01, 2012, 10:54:41 AM »

The NYS Senate Republicans' map:

Syracuse gets custody of Ithaca.  The Albany district gets part of Ulster County in the Hinchey Carve-Up.  As we already knew, Ackerman faces off against McCarthy.

Looks like Nadler condenses into Manhattan?

The assembly map seems to try to preserve a district for Buerkhle. The Senate map seems to just write it off by putting Cornell there.

traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #526 on: March 01, 2012, 01:43:24 PM »

The Assembly Dems' proposal isn't showing up on the docket list, but it can be found here:

https://www.nyed.uscourts.gov/pub/docs/cv/11-5632/party/

Separated into four maps (LI, NYC, Rockland/Westchester/Upstate) and an document explaining/justifying the districts.

Executive summary: Crowley and Turner are combined in an all-Queens district,  Meeks stays entirely within Queens, Ackerman is basically told to move out of Long Island and represent a Queens-Bronx combo, the rest of NYC is minimal change.  The most quote-heavy portions of the explanation, of course, are those which say that a) both Brooklyn and Manhattan's Chinatown need to be together in Velasquez's district, and b) all the rabbis in Boro Park and seniors in Coney Island love themselves some Jerry Nadler.

Upstate, Hinchey is the obvious victim, but a lot of other congresscritters up there probably wouldn't like this map.  Hayworth takes in most of Ulster and all of Duchess, and withdraws from the non-river portions of Orange, sure looks to me like she's being targeted.  Gibson moves south and stays marginal.  Owens is not particularly shored up but instead takes on Utica/Rome, as the Owens-Hanna line moves to a roughly northwest-southeast configuration- I think that's the oddest part of this map actually.  Syracuse gets Ithaca, of course, and the Monroe district also takes in most of Ontario County for reasons I don't quite fathom.  The one incumbent upstate who would be doing backflips and jumping jacks is Hochul, who is given the black areas of Buffalo which were part of the earmuffs before.  Again, lots of quotes in support of that move.

All in all, somewhat similar to Plaintiff-Intervenor.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #527 on: March 01, 2012, 01:50:16 PM »

This has a really strange 20th. The 25th is also pretty weird.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #528 on: March 01, 2012, 02:01:30 PM »

The Assembly Dems' proposal isn't showing up on the docket list, but it can be found here:

Screenshots for those who don't want to download the map:

As with all the others, some good features but probably more bad ones.  If we assume that Velasquez's district has to stay as is (since every map has done so), then NYC is pretty good in this proposal; I'm a big fan of this NY-6 in particular.  But there's no earthly reason that NY-20 should exist, or why NY-25 can't just stay all in Monroe.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #529 on: March 01, 2012, 02:13:16 PM »

I can see why Ruben Diaz was upset about the assembly map.

The Bronx only gets 1 Rep guaranteed there while Manhattan gets 3.
NY Jew

« Reply #530 on: March 01, 2012, 03:54:12 PM »

Why would a court dismantle Turner's district instead of some combination of Ackerman, McCarthy, and King? The Orthodox Jewish neighborhoods in southern Brooklyn form a pretty clear community of interest. If anything a fair map would unsplit the Jewish pockets instead of cracking them.

because the judge is a democrat appointee who lives in one of the most liberal parts of Brooklyn and probably hates orthodox jews with a passion.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #531 on: March 01, 2012, 04:13:49 PM »

All of these maps are terrible, in my opinion.
timothyinMD

« Reply #532 on: March 01, 2012, 05:36:16 PM »

I thoroughly agree
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #533 on: March 01, 2012, 06:58:12 PM »

Why would a court dismantle Turner's district instead of some combination of Ackerman, McCarthy, and King? The Orthodox Jewish neighborhoods in southern Brooklyn form a pretty clear community of interest. If anything a fair map would unsplit the Jewish pockets instead of cracking them.

because the judge is a democrat appointee who lives in one of the most liberal parts of Brooklyn and probably hates orthodox jews with a passion.

How does the last point follow from the first two even remotely? There are reasons to not want Bob Turner representing the district that he represents that have nothing to do with Jews, Orthodox or otherwise.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #534 on: March 01, 2012, 07:15:47 PM »

I can see why Ruben Diaz was upset about the assembly map.

The Bronx only gets 1 Rep guaranteed there while Manhattan gets 3.

The Bronx would still have two reps- Serrano and Engel.
NY Jew

« Reply #535 on: March 01, 2012, 07:49:08 PM »

How does the last point follow from the first two even remotely? There are reasons to not want Bob Turner representing the district that he represents that have nothing to do with Jews, Orthodox or otherwise.

there are enough jews in Southern Brooklyn to create a majority conservative (Orthodox+Russian) jewish district the fact that they don't want to make one and make this the most gerrymandered neighborhood in the country (the neighborhood jews call Flatbush which has 5 Congressional seats is the only neighborhood in the country that has even 4 Congressional seats).
Any fair redistricting would not nullify the orthodox vote (the district I made would kick both Grimm and Turner out of Jewish Brooklyn).

The Republican plan gave The biggest parts of the jewish community to both Grimm and Turner to maximize their vote.
and the democrat anti Semites in the assembly and (self hating Jew at the lead (everyone in the Orthodox jewish community knows this)) divided us in to minced meat so we have no say.

And most likely the liberal judge would have no objections to politically destroying the orthodox community.

Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #536 on: March 01, 2012, 08:12:43 PM »

Again, I'm really not sure it's because you guys are Jewish. It sounds more like it's because you lean conservative. Do you really think it would be any different if you were some other religion/ethnicity with the same political leanings?
NY Jew

« Reply #537 on: March 01, 2012, 09:17:30 PM »

Again, I'm really not sure it's because you guys are Jewish. It sounds more like it's because you lean conservative. Do you really think it would be any different if you were some other religion/ethnicity with the same political leanings?
yes the dems plan doesn't break up SI (if they wanted to gerrymander strictly on partisan lines Grimm wouldn't have a chance)

besides how would this line come across "I'm not racist but I just divided up black neighborhoods at unprecedented rates because they vote democrat"
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #538 on: March 01, 2012, 09:23:24 PM »
« Edited: March 01, 2012, 09:28:54 PM by Nathan »

It would come across as cynically and shamelessly partisan and venal but I wouldn't view it as motivated by racism in particular, no.

What I'm interested in is why would the New York Democratic Party, much of which is Jewish if the Jewish Democratic US Senator, five Jewish Democratic US Representatives, and Orthodox Jewish Democratic Assembly Speaker are any indication, be motivated by anti-Semitism, and if it's a question, as I suspect it partially is at least to you, of internal friction within Judaism as a religion and Jews as a people, then how on Earth is that anti-Semitic?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #539 on: March 01, 2012, 09:26:31 PM »

5 districts? NY Jew, have you seen what they did to Austin?
NY Jew

« Reply #540 on: March 01, 2012, 09:37:35 PM »
« Edited: March 01, 2012, 09:58:25 PM by NY Jew »

It would come across as cynically and shamelessly partisan and venal but I wouldn't view it as motivated by racism in particular, no.

What I'm interested in is why would the New York Democratic Party, much of which is Jewish if the Jewish Democratic US Senator, five Jewish Democratic US Representatives, and Orthodox Jewish Democratic Assembly Speaker are any indication, be motivated by anti-Semitism, and if it's a question, as I suspect it partially is at least to you, of internal friction within Judaism as a religion and Jews as a people, then how on Earth is that anti-Semitic?
More then liberal jews hate Christians they hate conservative Jews and more then that Orthodox Jews. (Sheldon Silver is someone who would kill his own mother for more power and everyone knows it).

NY Jew

« Reply #541 on: March 01, 2012, 09:40:48 PM »
« Edited: March 01, 2012, 09:57:01 PM by NY Jew »

please tell me the neighborhood in Austin that has 5 Congressional districts.
Espchilly considering the whole city (not just a neighborhood a neighborhood that has a fraction of Austin's population and size) has only 3 CDs

Brooklyn was added to the voting rights act because the black community which was bigger was divided in to 5 CDs at a time when NY had more CDs and each one had much less people.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #542 on: March 01, 2012, 09:47:35 PM »

More then liberal jews hate liberal christians they hate Conservative and even more Orthodox Jews.

This is, on several levels, one of the strangest sentences I've ever read, and I study Japanese serial fiction from the 1920s.
NY Jew

« Reply #543 on: March 01, 2012, 09:58:51 PM »

More then liberal jews hate liberal christians they hate Conservative and even more Orthodox Jews.

This is, on several levels, one of the strangest sentences I've ever read, and I study Japanese serial fiction from the 1920s.
edited now
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #544 on: March 01, 2012, 10:11:14 PM »

edited now

No, it wasn't semantic clarity that the sentence lacked.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #545 on: March 01, 2012, 10:12:30 PM »

A most excellent point.
NY Jew

« Reply #546 on: March 01, 2012, 10:23:50 PM »

attack my content not spelling (since all you can attack is my spelling, I guess I can assume that the only flaw you have with what I had to say was based on spelling and you agree with me 100% on everything else.)

just for you
please tell me the neighborhood in Austin that has 5 Congressional districts.
Especially considering the whole city (not just a neighborhood a neighborhood that has a fraction of Austin's population and size) has only 3 CDs

Brooklyn was added to the voting rights act because the black community which was bigger was divided in to 5 CDs at a time when NY had more CDs and each one had much less people.
NY Jew

« Reply #547 on: March 01, 2012, 10:29:37 PM »

edited now

No, it wasn't semantic clarity that the sentence lacked.
I'll make this simple
Liberal jews hate jews who vote Republican
Liberal jews hate right wing Christians
Liberal jews hate Orthodox jews more then they hate other jews who vote Republican .
Liberal jews hate Orthodox jews more then they hate right wing Christians.

traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #548 on: March 01, 2012, 10:30:14 PM »

yes the dems plan doesn't break up SI (if they wanted to gerrymander strictly on partisan lines Grimm wouldn't have a chance)

besides how would this line come across "I'm not racist but I just divided up black neighborhoods at unprecedented rates because they vote democrat"

Staten Island was kept whole for the same reason the Republicans in PA kept Bucks County whole: for whatever reason, there's a tradition that this one area has to be all together, and you can gerrymander the heck out of the rest of the map but not there.

Also, "Flatbush" is a pretty huge area, probably at least a dozen neighborhoods many of which have their own name to begin with- and most of it is African-American, not Orthodox.  I'd consider the Orthodox areas to be separate neighborhoods south and east of Flatbush.  I mean, I guess you could consider Midwood to be part of Flatbush, okay.  Unite all of "Flatbush" in one Congressional district- and it mostly is so already- and I guarantee you Yvette Clarke will be its representative.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #549 on: March 01, 2012, 10:31:41 PM »

Once again, NY-9 is hardly a Tel Aviv West or whatever as Al keeps pointing out. If there even is a "Jewish district" in NYC it'd be Nadler's.

And I suspect Borough Park's carving is a deliberate attempt to prevent someone like Dov Hikind getting the say over who its representative is, something that wouldn't sit well with either party.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 41  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies