US House Redistricting: New York
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:42:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  US House Redistricting: New York
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 41
Author Topic: US House Redistricting: New York  (Read 135260 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #725 on: March 06, 2012, 02:19:06 PM »

I note he went with exactly what I at first thought inevitable in Brooklyn, before I noticed how unhispanic Velazquez' district was and that it was trending White and how ugly a map it forced to preserve it (the Nadler Hipster Earmuff as well as the Jewish Slashup).
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #726 on: March 06, 2012, 02:19:17 PM »

Owens may be saved again.
NY Jew

« Reply #727 on: March 06, 2012, 02:30:12 PM »

I note he went with exactly what I at first thought inevitable in Brooklyn, before I noticed how unhispanic Velazquez' district was and that it was trending White and how ugly a map it forced to preserve it (the Nadler Hipster Earmuff as well as the Jewish Slashup).
You got it backwards the Jewish slashup is why Velazquez's district goes in to southern Brooklyn.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #728 on: March 06, 2012, 02:33:08 PM »

Oh god, no. Velazquez lives there, kiddo. Not everything revolves around you.

Mind you, I agree with you that it should have been undone. Preserving it is more trouble than it's worth by far.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #729 on: March 06, 2012, 02:38:01 PM »

Could be a done deal. If the Republicans in the State Senate are self-interested as stated, they have every reason to pass the court map altered to created the "super Jewish" seat in South Brooklyn. The changes wouldn't go through the State House, but, it would put both parties on record going into the special election.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #730 on: March 06, 2012, 02:38:28 PM »

I wonder if Dems can find a good candidate against Gibson. Should be winnable and holdable, but not with just anybody.

All the other incumbents just get safe seats. Bar Hochul, of course. Brian Higgins must be partying tonight (though maybe he needs to beat Hochul in the primary first?)
NY Jew

« Reply #731 on: March 06, 2012, 02:46:32 PM »

Mind you, I agree with you that it should have been undone. Preserving it is more trouble than it's worth by far.
except the district was slashed up 20 years ago to destroy the jewish vote.  Velazquez wasn't elected till the election after that.
  The reason that happened was because the jewish community voted against Solarz (he won the overall election) and all of a sudden in the next redistricting the seat was gone.

look at this map and you'll see what it used to look like
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/GALLERY/2947_03_02_11_11_09_04.png
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #732 on: March 06, 2012, 02:48:22 PM »

I wonder if Dems can find a good candidate against Gibson. Should be winnable and holdable, but not with just anybody.

All the other incumbents just get safe seats. Bar Hochul, of course. Brian Higgins must be partying tonight (though maybe he needs to beat Hochul in the primary first?)

You think McCarthy and Israel are safe eh Lewis?  OK. See you on the other side. Smiley
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #733 on: March 06, 2012, 03:04:03 PM »

You think McCarthy and Israel are safe eh Lewis?  OK. See you on the other side. Smiley
McCarthy? Yeah, looks to be so. Israel is included under "those discussed in the thread, ie not an 'other' ". Smiley
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #734 on: March 06, 2012, 03:04:20 PM »

Could be a done deal. If the Republicans in the State Senate are self-interested as stated, they have every reason to pass the court map altered to created the "super Jewish" seat in South Brooklyn. The changes wouldn't go through the State House, but, it would put both parties on record going into the special election.

What special election?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #735 on: March 06, 2012, 03:04:34 PM »

Israel, King and McCarthy should all be safe, unless you get wave years, where they could all lose with this map.  Not to mention that it makes Bishop ever so slightly more Republican - I doubt he would have won there in 2010.  As one could also figure out, all four seats are marginal should they open, with McCarthy's being the least (but still a problem).

Grimm gets slightly safer I believe.  I have to look with a careful eye at upstate, but Gibson and Hayworth get a point or two more Dem for absorbing Hinchey.  Gibson gets the worst of the two.  Hanna gets a point more GOP.  I think Buerkle is dead meat, as the center of the CD switches from Rochester to Syracuse.  Reed gets slightly more Dem, but probably not enough to dislodge him absent a wave.  Hochul is going to run far away from that CD, unless she likes living life dangerously.

All in all, should be -1, -1, but Gibson, Buerkle and Hochul are the real question marks.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #736 on: March 06, 2012, 03:04:55 PM »

What special election?

The Carl Kruger seat.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #737 on: March 06, 2012, 03:06:49 PM »

Israel, King and McCarthy should all be safe, unless you get wave years, where they could all lose with this map.  Not to mention that it makes Bishop ever so slightly more Republican - I doubt he would have won there in 2010.  
If there's one Long Island Democrat who should be unhappy, it'd be Bishop. (And if you want to make a bipartisan deal for King, give him all of Smithtown and find Bishop some more marginal places in the south instead.)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #738 on: March 06, 2012, 03:07:25 PM »

McCarthy? Yeah, looks to be so. Israel is included under "those discussed in the thread, ie not an 'other' ". Smiley

We will see if the Pubs target McCarthy I guess. I think she is baggable with the right well financed candidate myself. She's basically a nebbish.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #739 on: March 06, 2012, 03:07:46 PM »

Nan Hayworth doesn't look safe to me either.  Favored, probably, but by no means safe.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #740 on: March 06, 2012, 03:09:54 PM »

Israel, King and McCarthy should all be safe, unless you get wave years, where they could all lose with this map.  Not to mention that it makes Bishop ever so slightly more Republican - I doubt he would have won there in 2010.  
If there's one Long Island Democrat who should be unhappy, it'd be Bishop. (And if you want to make a bipartisan deal for King, give him all of Smithtown and find Bishop some more marginal places in the south instead.)

The Democrats have about 15 or so long term influential incumbents to yell at Sheldon Silver to cut a deal.

The GOP has 1. An important one of course.

I don't see any possible way this map stands.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #741 on: March 06, 2012, 03:15:41 PM »

We will see if the Pubs target McCarthy I guess. I think she is baggable with the right well financed candidate myself. She's basically a nebbish.
In a district of nebbishes.
NY Jew

« Reply #742 on: March 06, 2012, 03:19:40 PM »

What special election?
Fidler vs Storobin (The biggest issue in this race is also marriage redefinition (well only on the anti marriage redef side))
around 60 rabbis have forbade voting for Fidler because he voted for a marriage redefinition like bill.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #743 on: March 06, 2012, 03:28:34 PM »

Israel, King and McCarthy should all be safe, unless you get wave years, where they could all lose with this map.  Not to mention that it makes Bishop ever so slightly more Republican - I doubt he would have won there in 2010.  As one could also figure out, all four seats are marginal should they open, with McCarthy's being the least (but still a problem).

Grimm gets slightly safer I believe.  I have to look with a careful eye at upstate, but Gibson and Hayworth get a point or two more Dem for absorbing Hinchey.  Gibson gets the worst of the two.  Hanna gets a point more GOP.  I think Buerkle is dead meat, as the center of the CD switches from Rochester to Syracuse.  Reed gets slightly more Dem, but probably not enough to dislodge him absent a wave.  Hochul is going to run far away from that CD, unless she likes living life dangerously.

All in all, should be -1, -1, but Gibson, Buerkle and Hochul are the real question marks.

Buerkle's CD, old NY-25, now NY-24, didn't change much, either in geography (except to expand), or in partisan coloration.

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #744 on: March 06, 2012, 03:32:59 PM »

What special election?
Fidler vs Storobin (The biggest issue in this race is also marriage redefinition (well only on the anti marriage redef side))
around 60 rabbis have forbade voting for Fidler because he voted for a marriage redefinition like bill.

Oh, tell me more. What is the partisan makeup of the district?  How is it being handicapped?  When is the election?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #745 on: March 06, 2012, 03:42:41 PM »
« Edited: March 06, 2012, 03:44:12 PM by Torie »

The Democrats have about 15 or so long term influential incumbents to yell at Sheldon Silver to cut a deal.

The GOP has 1. An important one of course.

I don't see any possible way this map stands.

The Pubs had better demand getting Turner back in exchange for propping up the Long Island Dems, and other assorted and sundry incumbents (except for Hochul) or I will join NYJew in howling myself. Tongue

If I were a Pub in the NY legislature, I would refuse to abandon this map absent something pretty succulent. I quite like this map, the Turner issue aside.
NY Jew

« Reply #746 on: March 06, 2012, 03:43:49 PM »

What special election?

Oh, tell me more. What is the partisan makeup of the district?  How is it being handicapped?  When is the election?
around 1/3 is Orthodox and 1/4 Russian Jewish and the rest of the white are heavy catholic.

not sure what you mean by handicapped?
March 20th (this was decided before the court decision)
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #747 on: March 06, 2012, 03:45:20 PM »

Buerkle's CD, old NY-25, now NY-24, didn't change much, either in geography (except to expand), or in partisan coloration.

Um, that picture is really kind of misleading, as it cuts off a nearly 100,000-person strong section of the old NY-25 in Monroe County.  The district's center may not have been near Rochester, but it definitely contained more Rochester suburbs than it does now.

Plugging in DRA, it appears the part Buerkle lost is about 97,000 people who voted for Obama 51-48, whereas she gains 142K voters who were slightly more Dem, 54-44 Obama.  So it moves a point to the left, probably.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #748 on: March 06, 2012, 03:46:28 PM »

What special election?

around 1/3 is Orthodox and 1/4 Russian Jewish and the rest of the white are heavy catholic.

not sure what you mean by handicapped?
March 20th (this was decided before the court decision)

It means what do the odds makers think as to the likelihood of one guy or the other winning. If you handicap a race, that means you are placing odds on it, just like betting on the horses at the race track.

It sounds like a pretty Pub friendly district. Why was a Dem representing it?
NY Jew

« Reply #749 on: March 06, 2012, 03:47:15 PM »

some more info on how the jewish community was gerrymandered because of that seat.

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/07/09/nyregion/solarz-will-run-in-district-tailored-as-a-hispanic-seat.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 41  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies