US House Redistricting: New York (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:47:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  US House Redistricting: New York (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: US House Redistricting: New York  (Read 136153 times)
RBH

« on: December 21, 2010, 02:05:07 PM »

From a map drawing aesthetics perspective, it should be Engel in NY-17.  His district is the ugliest (other than Velasquez' NY-12, which won't be axed due to racial reasons).  There's no reason at all why the Bronx should share a district with Rockland County.

Obviously, the other dead district is going to have to come from Upstate.  NY-23 is probably most vulnerable to being carved up due to likely population loss and the sheer size of it.

It'd take a special election and a happier Grisanti to get a better Senate for those lines.

NY23 is a hard one to handle since I think every district bordering NY23 is now Republican and that Democratic vote from Owens base would make him formidable. Especially since the votes don't exist to totally carve the district.

Wonder how the dynamic would change if Slaughter retired, her district got distributed. How much would more Rochester wound one of the newer Republicans? Plus Chris Lee lives in Erie so some of that county will not be in Higgins district.

I don't think any of the upstate freshman Republicans are necessarily in a good spot right now because I don't recall any of them having elected state government experience and the map is probably either a compromise or court-drawn
RBH

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 02:31:26 PM »

It seems like an unlikely compromise for NYC Assembly Dems to agree to give up 2 seats. I could see them giving up an NYC seat ("Hey, want to be mayor Eliot?") in exchange for seriously hurting the re-election prospects of one of the upstate Republican freshmen.

RBH

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 06:10:35 PM »

and if the NYS Senate holds the Congressional Map hostage, the NYS Assembly can just shut down the NYS Senate redistricting map.

The New York State Senate is ridiculously gerrymandered: http://www.latfor.state.ny.us/maps/propsen/fsnys.pdf

So if they want to save a few House Seats at the expense of their Senate Majority, that's their problem.

Granted, they can't count the prison population in their districts anymore, so that'll hurt them.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies