US House Redistricting: New York (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:16:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  US House Redistricting: New York (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: US House Redistricting: New York  (Read 136448 times)
timothyinMD

« on: June 15, 2011, 11:37:41 AM »

Your map was quite similar to mine.  Mine gives Republicans 25% of NYC/LI/Westchester seats, which is still below our vote total for the area.

timothyinMD

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 01:29:48 PM »

It's pretty easy to draw 2 Republican NYC seats, that why Dems draw such hideously scrambled lines around Manhattan/Brooklyn/Queens, to disperse the strongly Republican south Brooklyn area

timothyinMD

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 05:06:36 PM »

It's pretty easy to draw 2 Republican NYC seats, that why Dems draw such hideously scrambled lines around Manhattan/Brooklyn/Queens, to disperse the strongly Republican south Brooklyn area

Sorry, but do you know what you're talking about?  The last round of redistricting had a Republican Governor and a Republican State Senate.

If the Dems could draw the Congressional map like they drew the Assembly map that year, the Congressional map could easily have zero Republican NYC seats by connecting Staten Island to Manhattan instead of Brooklyn.

NYC is a convoluted mess at the Congressional level, like all of New York State, due to incumbent protection gerrymandering mixing with VRA majority-minority districts, and the negative space created by those districts.

VRA is racially divisive, and I don't agree with that.  That's why I paid no attention to racial communities when I drew my NYC map.  One man, one vote.  Period
timothyinMD

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 05:36:16 PM »

I thoroughly agree
timothyinMD

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 11:33:45 AM »
« Edited: March 05, 2012, 11:36:20 AM by timothyinMD »

Any map that eliminates Bob Turner's seat is unacceptable.  If we have to bend over backward to draw Hispanic and black seats, they can keep two Republican seats.

This shouldn't be that hard, and the map shouldn't look like a piece of garbage, esp in NYC
timothyinMD

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 05:09:45 PM »
« Edited: March 05, 2012, 05:25:54 PM by timothyinMD »

Rationale for my proposal:

1. Buff/Roch are similar cities and combined in one district keep from overpowering the suburban/rural portions of western NYS.
2. Making that a solid D allows all the surrounding seats to be highly competitive.  Same with combining D areas into the Albany seat.
3. Where is it written in stone that St Lawrence, Franklin and Clinton be in the same district?
4. I have no care or regard for incumbents' locations.  One doesn't have to live in a district to run in it
5. Racial stats are irrelevant.  Aside from Grimm and Turner, every other seat in NYC will elect a far left liberal Democrat who will vote the same way no matter what race they are.  To me they aren't whites, blacks, hispanics.  They're Democrats.
timothyinMD

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 05:41:30 PM »

I make no claim that my proposal is "non partisan" or gerrymander free.  It is expressly to help elect as many Republicans as possible.
timothyinMD

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 10:04:21 AM »

For you race-obsessed Democrats:

2 majority black districts and 2 Republican districts in Brooklyn.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies