How exactly does re-districting work?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:11:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  How exactly does re-districting work?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How exactly does re-districting work?  (Read 539 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 06, 2011, 08:25:57 PM »

The last time this happened, I was eleven years old and didn't really pay attention/know what redistricting even was. So how exactly is it done? In most states, the state legislatures are in charge of it. Does the majority party hire a couple of demographers/cartographers and tell them to put something together for them? Are a couple different plans put forward? Do the legislators take an active roll in map drawing? I assume the nitty gritty of precinct populations and all that is beyond the interest/knowledge of most state legislators. Are we going to see the maps on the internet or something before they're voted on? If the Justice Department or other groups sue, how long does it take to settle that usually?

I mean, it's one thing to draw up maps on our computers as a hobby, but I'm curious how the actual process of census results to new districts actually works in practice.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 11:55:13 PM »

The legislatures have access to GIS software to do the work and staff takes care of the technical parts, the legislators just dictate what they want.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 05:53:56 AM »

It differs from state to state. But yeah, basically what's already said.

Suits may on occasion not be settled until after the 2012 election, especially if the SC gets involved.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 01:28:17 PM »

Sometimes you have a committee structure in place and it is not all that uncommon to see new districts arise even in states losing seats and then a few years later, the seat is represented by either the chairman or a key member of the redistricting committee. Such a strange coincidence. Wink
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies