Is It Reasonable To Keep The House at 435 Members?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:48:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Is It Reasonable To Keep The House at 435 Members?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ...
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: Is It Reasonable To Keep The House at 435 Members?  (Read 3938 times)
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2010, 01:32:11 PM »

No one seems to want to address the fact that the personal relationships keeping Congress working would be scarce and less valuable in a chamber of 1,000.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2010, 05:28:22 PM »

The real problem is the population of America, but for obvious reasons that won't be addressed.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2010, 05:33:23 PM »

No one seems to want to address the fact that the personal relationships keeping Congress working would be scarce and less valuable in a chamber of 1,000.

I don't know if "personal relationships" are really a good thing in politics. Representatives need to defend the interest of the American people, and personal relationships can be an obstacle to that.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2010, 05:36:47 PM »

I don't know if "personal relationships" are really a good thing in politics. Representatives need to defend the interest of the American people, and personal relationships can be an obstacle to that.

Oh come on! You know that the best kind of politics is "scratch my back, I won't stab yours...directly" politics. Wink
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2010, 06:34:39 PM »

Well 435 is a lot of members already, but then US is a big country. Britain is smaller and has over 600, Sweden has 349 and we are much smaller. I think it'd be reasonable to have Congressional seats with a population similar to Wyoming, around 500 000. 
Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2010, 07:01:33 PM »

^
This.

I would much rather have representatives who have personal relationships with their constituents than with other politicians.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2010, 09:32:13 PM »

while 1 per 100,000 would be ideal on a local basis, I think maybe that should be the goal on the state level. Federally, a 1000 member Congress may be the most appropriate number (but no more than that)

Indeed.  The federal government shouldn't be more representative than the states. Wink

Members of Congress are elected to represent their constituents, not their party or their buddies in Congress.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2010, 10:26:13 PM »

One of the drawbacks to having such a large House is that you'd have no one but Attorneys General running for Senate - yuck.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2010, 01:52:58 AM »

while 1 per 100,000 would be ideal on a local basis, I think maybe that should be the goal on the state level. Federally, a 1000 member Congress may be the most appropriate number (but no more than that)

Indeed.  The federal government shouldn't be more representative than the states. Wink

You know what that's like.

WTF to California. 

State legislatures should operate more like national legislatures and in some cases (eg California) be more representative.  California should not have less state senators than members of congress.

In Canada, some cities have fewer councillors than MLAs, but no province has less MLAs than MPs. (Ontario has the same number, as they use the same districts)
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2010, 02:17:00 AM »

You know what that's like.

WTF to California. 

State legislatures should operate more like national legislatures and in some cases (eg California) be more representative.  California should not have less state senators than members of congress.

In Canada, some cities have fewer councillors than MLAs, but no province has less MLAs than MPs. (Ontario has the same number, as they use the same districts)

It depends on whether you compare upper houses or lower houses. CA has more state house members than federal house members and more state senators than federal senators. I don't see why a comparison of state senators to federal house members highlights any problem.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2010, 02:26:37 AM »

Each member of the California State Senate represents more people than a member of the House of Representatives.

I think it would be reasonable to make the California legislature unicameral, unless you do something wonky with how the Senate is elected.  I don't see the point in just having two houses with no difference except the number of people each member represents.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2010, 05:20:45 AM »

Each member of the California State Senate represents more people than a member of the House of Representatives.

I think it would be reasonable to make the California legislature unicameral, unless you do something wonky with how the Senate is elected.  I don't see the point in just having two houses with no difference except the number of people each member represents.

Yeah, I think the same. The idea of a "State Senate", which is elected the same way than the lower house, at the same time and with the same system is pretty silly.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies