Is It Reasonable To Keep The House at 435 Members? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:11:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Is It Reasonable To Keep The House at 435 Members? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ...
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: Is It Reasonable To Keep The House at 435 Members?  (Read 3957 times)
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« on: December 27, 2010, 02:47:59 PM »

I strongly support increasing the size of congress. Personally I would gradually go up to 800 members. Most likely to 500 members right away, 600 in 2020, 700 in 2030, and 800 in 2040. This seems like a good way to do it. Doubling the size of the House overnight might be too radical of an idea to pass. Unfortunately it seems to me that any large increase in the size of the House isn't going to happen anytime soon. There just seems so much going against it. First of all, why would congress want to dilute it's own power by having more congressman. Plus as many people have stated here, how would a larger house function, and how big is too big. Secondly try selling this too the American people. Don't get me wrong there are great arguements in favor of inlarging congress but especially in this anti government times, and the anger over government spending, I can see people getting pissed if this was proposed. Of course this is quite unfortunate because increasing the size of the House of Representatives, would be a benefit to the american people. Also another thought, this would have to be a bipartisan proposal or the opposition party could call it a seat grab (I realize this would not be true at all since it's unknown how the seats would be drawn and would would most likely have a lot of toss up seats, but we all know how politics works). I can't see either party being happy with a seat increase, It would make it harder for the political parties to control seats through gerrymandering, and I don't think the political establishment wants to give up any power they have.

mostly everyone here supports the idea of a larger house of representatives but, what do you think about it actually happening. What could be done to make it happen.

This may sound stupid but could the courts force a increase, I'm not sure how this could or would happen. Is Congress allowed to just freeze the size of the House of Representative.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies