Is It Reasonable To Keep The House at 435 Members? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:59:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Is It Reasonable To Keep The House at 435 Members? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ...
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: Is It Reasonable To Keep The House at 435 Members?  (Read 3922 times)
muon2
Atlas Icon

« on: December 27, 2010, 03:03:01 PM »

Does anyone know how many physical seats there are (or could be fit in) the current chamber. 

I don't think a chamber of 600 or 700 members would work that well, but even a slight increase of 50 or 60 members would help.   I strongly support whatever number of increase would net Tennessee a 10th Congressional district Smiley 

At some point in our lifetimes each congressman could represent a million people or more - which is way outside the bounds of what our founding fathers envisioned.

I asked that question when I toured the Capitol about 10 years ago. The answer I got was that 600 could certainly be accommodated. The respondent noted that the 535 combined members of Congress all fit comfortably along with other dignitaries for the State of the Union.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 02:17:00 AM »

while 1 per 100,000 would be ideal on a local basis, I think maybe that should be the goal on the state level. Federally, a 1000 member Congress may be the most appropriate number (but no more than that)

Indeed.  The federal government shouldn't be more representative than the states. Wink

You know what that's like.

WTF to California. 

State legislatures should operate more like national legislatures and in some cases (eg California) be more representative.  California should not have less state senators than members of congress.

In Canada, some cities have fewer councillors than MLAs, but no province has less MLAs than MPs. (Ontario has the same number, as they use the same districts)

It depends on whether you compare upper houses or lower houses. CA has more state house members than federal house members and more state senators than federal senators. I don't see why a comparison of state senators to federal house members highlights any problem.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies