Why Can't The US Government Do This One Simple Thing...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:29:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why Can't The US Government Do This One Simple Thing...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why Can't The US Government Do This One Simple Thing...  (Read 780 times)
Jordan Gwendolyn
Rookie

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 23, 2010, 07:19:10 PM »

Eliminate the salary cap on social security!!!

Currently, only the first $106,000 of income is subject to the SS/MediCARE tax. Why not remove this, and require a flat rate for all workers

This isn't as if I, a far-leftist, want to create a progressive payroll tax!!! However, even if a person that made $4 billion per year paid the same payroll tax rate as someone who made $40,000 per year, it would still not only solve social security's financial crisis, it would leave some left to reform the disability system.

And best of all, it would still be a flat tax rate, which is the darling of the far right, who will be assuming control of the lower house in January.

Obama has a chance to get bipartisan support to correct this wrong.
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 07:20:10 PM »

why does your sig say *Link Removed*?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 10:08:41 PM »

The right would never go for it. As much as they like flat taxes, they like regressive ones even better. And they certainly aren't going to raise taxes on richers without giving them additional benefits.
cannonia
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.42, S: -1.30

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 06:14:44 AM »

I'm guessing the salary cap and the lack of a means test are both there for the same reason - to make Social Security a broad-based program to benefit the entire population rather than a wealth transfer program.  The salary cap is also the maximum earnings that can be used to calculate one's benefits.
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 06:33:03 AM »

Obama has a chance to get bipartisan support to correct this wrong.

Haha.  No.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 08:49:08 AM »

I'm guessing the salary cap and the lack of a means test are both there for the same reason - to make Social Security a broad-based program to benefit the entire population rather than a wealth transfer program.  The salary cap is also the maximum earnings that can be used to calculate one's benefits.

That is of course the argument for this arrangement, but considering what a tiny minority of americans recieve more than $106,000/year, its pretty hilarious that the rest tolerate this.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2010, 08:55:20 AM »

Bi-what?
Jordan Gwendolyn
Rookie

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 12:18:44 PM »

I said nothing about means testing.

And like I said, removing the salary cap is not wealth transfer, it simply is making the tax truly conservative, rather than plutocratic.
cannonia
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.42, S: -1.30

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 04:39:50 PM »

I said nothing about means testing.

And like I said, removing the salary cap is not wealth transfer, it simply is making the tax truly conservative, rather than plutocratic.

I'm not sure your argument is substantive rather than merely rhetorical, but that's not true.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

If higher income earners pay increased taxes but do not receive a commensurate increase in benefit, then they are effectively subsidizing the program for the rest of the recipients.  Thus it becomes a wealth transfer.
Jordan Gwendolyn
Rookie

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 04:59:24 PM »

Regardless of whether it is a wealth transfer, its still a necessary change that needs to be made to keep the program solvent for many years to come.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 05:10:53 PM »

Mark's right.  There is no way you can believe there is bipartisan support for this.........
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2010, 06:24:00 PM »

The only thing that is bipartisan about that is the opposition.

Obama won't be touching SS before 2013 if reelected, it he isn't, then never.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies