US House Redistricting: Missouri
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 04:57:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  US House Redistricting: Missouri
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: US House Redistricting: Missouri  (Read 21122 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: May 05, 2011, 08:15:11 AM »

And how many Black representatives from the city voted against the override? Roll Eyes

Seriously. Are there recall petitions in Missouri?

Dgov
United States

« Reply #101 on: May 05, 2011, 10:33:42 AM »

And how many Black representatives from the city voted against the override? Roll Eyes

Well, to be honest this is not a new occurrence.  Black Democrats favoring a map that benefits Black Democrats over White Democrats is actually relatively common in the South.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #102 on: May 05, 2011, 10:38:20 AM »

Yeah, it's exactly the minimum number required though (if I understood that right), and it's obvious there were massive pressures either way. In Saint Louis at least, it doesn't sound as if their constituents are going to be particularly happy.
It's over as far as the map is concerned, evidently.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #103 on: May 05, 2011, 11:00:12 AM »

Reminds me of the guy in Texas who supported Tom DeLay's redraw because it would create another black seat. Next election he lost the primary. I suspect a similar fate is coming here...
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #104 on: May 05, 2011, 11:43:19 AM »

Well, to be honest this is not a new occurrence.  Black Democrats favoring a map that benefits Black Democrats over White Democrats is actually relatively common in the South.

Yep.

Clay and Cleaver delivered 4 votes because they only had to deliver 4 votes.......if more were required you would have seen more Black Democrats voting in favor of the override.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #105 on: May 14, 2011, 05:48:14 PM »

Reminds me of the guy in Texas who supported Tom DeLay's redraw because it would create another black seat. Next election he lost the primary. I suspect a similar fate is coming here...
Who would that be?

When the federal district court drew the map in 2001 they apologized to Morris Overstreet by name for not drawing another black district in Houston, but explained that a federal court is not a state legislature, and they were restricted in making the minimal changes in order to hold an election with 32 districts.

The Texas legislature then drew the district.

After the Supreme Court turned down the Austin-McAllen district, the NAACP provided a brief in the remedial phase.

It basically said:

(1) DFW: Don't like what happened to Martin Frost, grumble grumble.

(2) Harris County: Happy Dance.

(3) South Texas: What do we care.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #106 on: December 26, 2011, 10:33:57 AM »

Cool little factoid on this.

In 1990 a white liberal happened to win MO-02 by 54 votes. At redistricting (controlled by Democrats) promptly moved all the marginally Democratic areas out of MO-02 into the St. Louis City based MO-01 and MO-03. Clay and Gephardt of course were not successfully primaried until Clay Jr. and Carnahan took the seats.

Jim Talent won MO-02 in 1992.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #107 on: December 26, 2011, 10:37:12 AM »

According to wikipedia, the new map had been drawn before the 1990 elections.

Somehow though, given that this is 1990 we're talking about and not 80 or 70 or whatever, that doesn't sound right. Anyhow, she didn't lose by much in '92. But did lose by a lot when she ran again in '96.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies