US House Redistricting: Missouri
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:06:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  US House Redistricting: Missouri
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: US House Redistricting: Missouri  (Read 21159 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2011, 09:36:07 AM »

One bizarre factoid is that bumping up CD1's Black share as high as it can go helps Carnahan, as you have to forfeit White, strongly Democratic areas on the South Side of the city in favour of solid-lean-Democrat, white-majority-but-Black-presence areas in the western inner suburbs.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2011, 02:58:56 PM »

By moving MO-05 up north a tad bit I think it could be picked off. Then tried a combo of packing the dem vote into St. Louis with some spilling out into St. Louis county, the rest of which is divided up.

Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2011, 03:05:56 PM »

You've probably made MO-05 more Democratic, not less. Certainly it's at least D+7 or so on that map.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2011, 10:15:36 PM »

Yeah, you'd have to split up Kansas City proper; the non-KC part of Jackson County basically votes in line with the statewide totals (according to their crappy elections website, it went 50-49 McCain and 54-41 Blunt; yes, apparently they report their results separately from KC's results).

Either way, it won't happen; the best case scenario for the Dems is a 5-2 map with one swing district.

I took another stab at a 6-2 map:

I think (I did this a week or two ago, never bothered to post it) I calculated MO-03 and MO-08 as being over 60% McCain without the parts of St. Louis and Jefferson, so putting those in there shouldn't affect the districts too much. Either way, all of the districts except for MO-01 and MO-05 should be at least mid-50s McCain districts.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2011, 10:04:07 PM »

being an evil genius, i wanted to take Cass County where the person who unseated Skelton lives, and glue it next to a bunch of heavily black precincts in KC.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2011, 08:55:45 PM »

First look at a potential map

http://ozarksfirst.com/fulltext?nxd_id=431676

Dgov
United States

« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2011, 09:41:12 PM »

Any reason you can think of for why the 5th stretches out that far?  I Assume it's intended to prevent Ike Skelton from running again (as he lives in Lafayette county), but it draws the 6th dangerously far into Jackson county.

Either way, this is almost certainly going to be vetoed by Nixon.  It eliminates Carnahan's district, and I'm pretty sure all the other Republicans are safe in their districts.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2011, 09:57:50 PM »

Any reason you can think of for why the 5th stretches out that far?  I Assume it's intended to prevent Ike Skelton from running again (as he lives in Lafayette county), but it draws the 6th dangerously far into Jackson county.

Either way, this is almost certainly going to be vetoed by Nixon.  It eliminates Carnahan's district, and I'm pretty sure all the other Republicans are safe in their districts.

I would imagine they had Skelton in mind when they put this together, even though it's doubtful he'd run again. Republicans can override the veto in enough black legislators vote for the bill and it's not clear if they will get those votes.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2011, 01:08:58 AM »

imagine what a Skelton-Cleaver primary would be like.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2011, 03:42:31 AM »

Anybody have a map that shows what exactly they did around St Louis? I wonder how they're protecting Todd Akin with this thing.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2011, 02:17:44 PM »

The Senate should be considering its version of a map tomorrow.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2011, 04:01:18 PM »

Here's a better version of the map.  Carnahan's district seems to get chopped up between the 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

http://www.house.mo.gov/largemap.aspx
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2011, 07:45:24 PM »

Here's a better version of the map.  Carnahan's district seems to get chopped up between the 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

http://www.house.mo.gov/largemap.aspx

Surely Nixon will veto this.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2011, 07:49:54 PM »

Well, if the Republicans can get two Democrats in the House to vote for it, they can override his veto...
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2011, 02:24:27 AM »

Why are they doing this to Kansas City?
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2011, 03:32:54 AM »

i know the new map is almost set in stone, but does anyone see my districts? I remember someone telling me that if Ike Skelton had survived 2010, they would have drawn this map to dismember the district.

Statewide View

Kansas City

St Louis

Under this map; Emerson, Long, Graves, and Cleaver get to keep 100% of their old districts. They merely expand in size. To gain adequate population, they add in territory from the current 4th district. The remaining parts of the 4th district are added to the northern and western areas of the current 9th district and renamed the 4th. The southern and eastern areas of the old 9th take in the northern and western areas of the 2nd and the remaining parts of the 2nd take in the St. Louis County portion of the 1st plus a small amount of northern St. Louis City. The rest of old CD 1 is attached to the current CD 3, so Canrahan actually keeps 100% of the district and probably gets safer by adding more of the city of St. Louis.

1st District
Incumbent: Todd Akin
Race % 60.4 White, 32.2 Black
This is a district that takes in some republican suburbs from old CD 2 but it is outvoted by black precincts from old CD 1. Obama probably got in the high 50s or low 60s. Akin barely lives in this district, so he may very well run in the new 2nd district. If he does that, a democrat from the legislature may run here.

2nd District
OPEN
Race % 90.7% White
See Above

3rd District
Race 73.5% White, 19.5% Black
Incumbent: Bill Clay Jr vs. Russ Carnahan
This district takes in almost all of St Louis County and the remaining parts of the old CD 3. Clay and Carnahan would face off in a primary here. Carnahan would love this district, because a lot of Clay’s black constituency is gone, giving him the opportunity to win the primary and become even more entrenched. Obama probably got 65-70 percent here.

4th District
Race % 87.5 White
Incumbent: Blaine Luetkemeyer
This is probably somewhere between an R+8 and R+12 district. Safe Republican

5th District.
Race % 66.6 White, 21.5 Black
Incumbent: Emmanuel Cleaver vs. Vicky Hartzler
This would be a fun matchup to watch. Can Hartzler establish herself as a giant killer by defeating another entrenched incumbent? In this race, she takes on Emmanuel Cleaver (chairman of the black caucus). In her favor, this district is probably only a D+5 as opposed to the D+10 it used to be. However, I still think Cleaver would probably win this district as many of the urban voters from Kansas City would be turned off by the antiquated views of Hartzler on certain issues.

6th District
Race % 88.3 White
Incumbent: Sam Graves
As said before, this district stays the same only it takes in territory from old CD 4.

7th District
Race % 89.8 White
Incumbent: Billy Long
See 6th District

8th District
Race % 91.3 White
Incumbent: Jo Ann Emerson
See 6th District
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2011, 08:45:05 AM »

I don't think Kansas City itself is split, is it?

On another note, its amazing how quickly MO has done redistricting. Well oiled machine I guess.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2011, 08:49:53 AM »

Well, if the Republicans can get two Democrats in the House to vote for it, they can override his veto...

House plan to eliminate Carnahan just passed by a 10-1 committee vote. I don't think any of them give a damn about him at all.

http://www.columbiamissourian.com/stories/2011/04/05/house-committee-passes-redistricting-plan/
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2011, 09:21:09 AM »

I don't think Kansas City itself is split, is it?

On another note, its amazing how quickly MO has done redistricting. Well oiled machine I guess.

They were one of the first ones up in 2001, too, I recall. I can't believe it's been ten years already.
dpmapper
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2011, 09:30:59 AM »

House plan to eliminate Carnahan just passed by a 10-1 committee vote. I don't think any of them give a damn about him at all.

http://www.columbiamissourian.com/stories/2011/04/05/house-committee-passes-redistricting-plan/

All three black Democrats on the committee are for this plan.  If Nixon vetoes it will get overridden. 
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2011, 09:49:26 AM »

Looking closer at the map, it looks like they left nearly all of the existing part of Jackson County in and added the little sliver from MO-04. I don't think this will change the district's partisan lean all that much. My guess is it's still about 60-61% Obama.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2011, 01:06:08 PM »

There's apparently a split between the House and the Senate over the maps. These are the two proposals:

Yes, they're arguing over what would seem to be incredibly minor differences.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2011, 03:54:46 PM »

Silly, but I expect them to get it done in time. I don't know if Nixon will even bother vetoing.

Politico has a nice article about Carnahan dropping f bombs on Cleaver/Clay after they threw him under the bus.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2011, 07:37:01 AM »

I drew a nonpartisan/court map of Missouri:

It would still be 5-2-1, and even then, the one swing district (green) would have been at best around 50/50 in 2008.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2011, 01:30:51 PM »

Seriously? I doubt that portion of St. Louis County is significantly more Republican than Jefferson county. Looks like an about 54% Obama district.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies