Schumer won't run for Governor
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:34:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Schumer won't run for Governor
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Schumer won't run for Governor  (Read 3505 times)
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 21, 2004, 03:03:44 PM »

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politicselections/2004-11-15-schumer_x.htm

WASHINGTON (AP) — Sen. Charles Schumer said Monday he has ruled out a run for New York governor in 2006 and instead will head the Democratic Party's effort to win seats in the Senate.

Schumer agreed to head the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee and take a seat on the powerful Finance Committee, nixing the possibility of a 2006 gubernatorial campaign, a race which could have pitted him in a primary against state Attorney General Eliot Spitzer.

The current New York governor, Republican George Pataki, has been mentioned as a possible presidential candidate in 2008.

Schumer, in a telephone interview, said accepting a position in Democratic leadership was easy, especially when it was coupled with the spot on Finance and the added influence of affecting New York's business climate.

"Frankly, I never really had to give it much thought," the senator said. "This was just an offer of my dreams ... The Finance Committee is something I aspired to be on. It's the most powerful committee and has jurisdiction over so many things that matter to New York, tax and trade."

Schumer sounded philosophical when discussing the choice, saying the speculation about his ambitions for the governor's job never reflected his thinking. "I've been a legislator my whole life, it's what I know how to do. I know people didn't believe me, but Senate was the only thing on my radar screen," he said.

Schumer, who easily won re-election Nov. 2, telephoned incoming Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., Sunday night to accept the offer.

In taking the new positions, Schumer agreed to "see the DSCC job through the 2006 election and run for no other office."

Schumer said Reid pledged that the new job would also come with added responsibility for shaping the message of the Democratic Party. He is expected to begin in the new position in January, replacing Sen. Jon Corzine of New Jersey.

Republicans gained seats in the November election and will hold 55 when new members are sworn in this January. Democrats will have 44 seats with one Democratic-leaning independent.

Well thats good...I'd rather have Spitzer than Schumer since the governors seat will probably go Dem.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2004, 03:09:03 PM »

Spitzer is now a shoo-in.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2004, 03:14:32 PM »

Probably Smiley

I though Schumer said this a while ago?
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2004, 03:24:59 PM »

Probably Smiley

Nope, up until now he kept saying stuff like "The only thing I'm focusing on now is being a good senator" or "We'll see in the future" and stuff like that.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2004, 04:13:12 PM »

Future governor Sptizer may be on a national ticket sometime next decade.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2004, 06:26:07 PM »

Probably Smiley

Nope, up until now he kept saying stuff like "The only thing I'm focusing on now is being a good senator" or "We'll see in the future" and stuff like that.

Gottcha... sorry.
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2004, 09:06:51 PM »

Spitzer vs. Pataki or Giuliani.

It'll be a close one
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2004, 01:47:29 AM »

I think Pataki's run his luck out in Albany.  He's either got to take Hillary's seat, or pull out of politics to prepare for an (ultimately futile) bid to take the Presidency.
Defarge

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2004, 09:20:35 PM »

I think Pataki's run his luck out in Albany.  He's either got to take Hillary's seat, or pull out of politics to prepare for an (ultimately futile) bid to take the Presidency.
I think you're being overely pessemistic about Pataki.  He has a very good chance of winning reelection in '06.  It'll be very close between Spitzer and Pataki.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2004, 10:55:12 PM »

I think you're being overely pessemistic about Pataki.  He has a very good chance of winning reelection in '06.  It'll be very close between Spitzer and Pataki.

Probably...I've just never held a very high opinion of Pataki for whatever reason.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2004, 04:21:32 AM »

Spitzer would easily beat Pataki.
Spitzer would beat Guilani in a close race.
Anyone else, and it's a Spitzer landslide.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2004, 07:20:01 AM »

The more of Spitzer you see the less you will like of him.  He has hopped on the enron scandals and rode it to the political bank.  He has tried to defame some compnies and missed.  He is not the democrats answer, he is an opportuninist.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2004, 07:09:14 PM »

The more of Spitzer you see the less you will like of him.  He has hopped on the enron scandals and rode it to the political bank.  He has tried to defame some compnies and missed.  He is not the democrats answer, he is an opportuninist.

I've never seen him as anything other than a good attack dog, he will become Governor or a Senator some day (probably in 2006) but i don't see him getting any further... he'd be better suited to being a Governor thought, i would have thought.   
Defarge

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2004, 10:12:31 AM »

Spitzer may be ambitious, but if he helps destroy the fraud on Wall Street, what difference does it make?  Spitzer has done alot for NY.  Even today, you hear him taking out this corrupt insurance official, or that business executive.  Political oppurtunism?  I say ensuring an honest business world.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2004, 09:46:04 PM »

Elliot Spitzer is the Tom Dewey of the 21st Century.

Except that he's a Democrat.  And clean-shaven.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2004, 01:33:38 PM »

Spitzer is like Edwards, but not as likeable.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2004, 01:58:42 PM »

Jfern, what do you know about New York politics?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2004, 03:47:13 AM »

Jfern, what do you know about New York politics?

A lot
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies