The Miscellany Act (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:11:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Miscellany Act (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Miscellany Act  (Read 7060 times)
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« on: November 21, 2004, 03:37:06 PM »

Proposed at the request of Attorney General Peter Bell who e-mailed the act to me.

The Miscellany Act

Section 1: The Census

1. The provisions of this Section shall be considered to be carrying out the Constitutionally mandated Census prescribed in

the Apportionment of States to Districts Amendment.

2. The Census shall be taken at noon on the first Friday of March, July and November of each year.

Section 2: Contiguity Borders

Since Hawaii and Alaska lack borders with other US States, they are considered to be contiguous for the purposes of

redistricting in the following ways:

1. Alaska is contiguous to Hawaii
2. Alaska is contiguous to Washington
3. Hawaii is contiguous to California

Section 3: Party Platform Definition

For a Party to have a Party Platform under the Organised Parties Amendment, its submitted Party Platform shall meet the

following criteria:

1. It shall be at least two hundred words in length.
2. It shall address general political issues or issues relevant to the circumstances of Atlasia.

Section 4: Numerical Definition

For the purposes of all statute, executive orders, judicial rulings and other official documents of the Atlasian government,

the following shall be the standard definitions throughout Atlasia:

1. One Billion = 1,000,000,000
2. One Trillion = 1,000,000,000,000

I like this bill and it has my support. It finally resolves the issue of the census and gives needed criteria for party platforms and gives general standards to that Atlasia needs.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2004, 03:42:02 PM »

EST since that is the official forum time.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2004, 03:53:36 PM »

Why is it hilarious? I don't see what's so funny.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2004, 12:03:13 PM »

I will vote against this bill unless Section 3 is removed.
I don't see why? Section 3 only concerns government recognized organized parties. It is just a criteria to go with the organized party criteria already in place. An unorganized party can still have a platform that is how ever long they want it but Section 3 is only concerned with government recognized organized parties and is thus not a violation of free speech.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2004, 12:32:59 PM »

A point that Ernest raised in another thread made me realise that another section would be useful for this Bill:

Section 5: System of Measurement

1. For the purposes of all statute, executive orders, judicial rulings, other official documents of the Atlasian government and for all acts of commerce, the International System of Units, as it stands at the passage of this bill into law, shall be the standard system of measurement throughout Atlasia.

2. Other, non-standard systems of measurement may be used, however, all quantities must be defined in the standard system of measurement alongside the non-standard system of measurement.

3. The sole exception to this Section shall be those distances that exceed 200 meters in length, where the mile may be used as a concurrent standard definition.

Its pretty straight forward, and most of us in here are at worst in our 20s, so we grew up on the metric system for the most part. The exception is given in Section 3 as I recall from my last visit to the US (ILV might still have been in dippers), all road signs are given in miles, and I don't especially want to replace every road sign in the US due to the cost and the inherent confusion it would cause. I would also like everybody to know the pain that I endured mis-spelling metre for this section.

I will not support this bill if it demands that the country use metric. That is an outrage. I say that this shoudn't be a part of this bill and I would like to ask everyone that if this is included to vote against this bill.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies