Should Fox News be banned?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:10:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Should Fox News be banned?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: For spreading "misinformation"?
Yes (D)
No (D)
Yes (R)
No (R)
Yes (I/O)
No (I/O)
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Should Fox News be banned?  (Read 615 times)
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 28, 2022, 10:36:49 PM »

The EU has decided to ban Russian propaganda channels Sputnik and RT, because they believe it's too "harmful" for people to handle. Mainline Democrats and left-wingers applauded the decision. Mark Warner, who chairs the intelligence committee, asked social media companies to crack down on this misinformation. And they've listened. And now, many of them see it as an encouragement to crackdown on dissent in the US, with channels like Fox and OAN which they fervently believe are pro-Russia and pro-Putin. They've also believed throughout covid that "misinformation" has "literally killed" people on Fox News. Should it be pulled by cable providers to protect people from lies? 

Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2022, 10:42:19 PM »

No (sane, normal, values the First Amendment)
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2022, 11:45:47 PM »

LOL

I don't like FOX If we're getting rid of them we can say goodbye to MSNBC and CNN too.

Also, the first amendment exists.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2022, 11:49:49 PM »

People trying to censor dissenting VERBAL opinions are never the good guys … like, it’s crazy that needs said.
Cokeland Saxton
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -6.26

P
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2022, 11:55:42 PM »

As should all partisan news channels
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2022, 12:17:07 AM »

No, but as with other channels like MSBNC and CNN, the word “news” should be dropped.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2022, 12:50:35 AM »

No but RT America should be (which can be easily constitutionally done, just cut off all their funding via sanctions.)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2022, 12:53:28 AM »

No, but I do favor reinstating the Fairness Doctrine (or at least the updated version) and applying it to all news outlets. 
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2022, 01:00:53 AM »

No, but I do favor reinstating the Fairness Doctrine (or at least the updated version) and applying it to all news outlets. 
It wouldn't apply to Fox and would be unconstitutional to do so. The Fairness Doctrine would be near worthless today.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2022, 02:24:45 AM »

No, and I'm getting pretty worried at the Democrats' and the left's eagerness to crack down on media they disapprove of.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2022, 02:27:10 AM »

No, and I'm getting pretty worried at the Democrats' and the left's eagerness to crack down on media they disapprove of.
The right is much worse. Compare how Trump acted toward media outlets that criticized him. Biden meanwhile basically just ignores Fox and other right-wing propaganda outlets.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2022, 01:59:59 PM »

Yes. Fox News, OANN, Newsmax, EWTN, Russia Today, Sputnik News, and all of the Iranian monarchist news networks should be banned in the US.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2022, 02:33:43 PM »

I don't like FOX If we're getting rid of them we can say goodbye to MSNBC and CNN too.

You say that like it's a bad thing
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2022, 02:39:28 PM »

IMO any channel that calls itself News ought to be required to report News, there ought to be some neutral government body to determine when something is so conuterfactual as to require a retraction, and there should be a standard procedure for issuing retractions that ensures they are prominent enough to be seen by the entire network audience.

If a network wants to be Conservative News and devote 18 hours a day to covering Keystone XL, that's fine, but they shouldn't be allowed to say (with NEWS at the bottom of the screen) that Keystone would have produced millions of barrels of oil a day.  And if they do say that, a neutral body ought to say "hey that's a big fat lie" and Conservative News should have to devote time in every hour block for the following week apologizing for that lie and force-reading a correction.

When you switch to opinion programming, you should be forced to take NEWS off the screen.  Opinion sections ought to be clearly delineated from news.  Sandra Smith and Brit Hume high-fiving each other for ten minutes about how weak Biden is on energy independence is not news.  If Sandra Smith is reporting news, and wants to switch to jerking off Brit Hume, there should be a clear transition where she says "we are now shifting to me offering my own opinions" and Fox OPINION should be at the bottom of the screen.  And then another transition and brand switch when she goes back to reporting news.  The same goes for Don Lemon, Jake Tapper, and the other hacks and frauds who dominate our news diet.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2022, 03:25:11 PM »

We have a First Amendment
THG
TheTarHeelGent
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2022, 04:26:59 PM »

No, but as with other channels like MSBNC and CNN, the word “news” should be dropped.

I’m fine with this. Cable news is effectively entertainment with some news thrown in along the way.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2022, 07:30:34 PM »

Lol, the Republicans just defunded an entire university department due to political grievances.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2022, 08:44:15 PM »

Lol, the Republicans just defunded an entire university department due to political grievances.

What is the purpose of this post? I don't think I've gone more than a week since joining this website without posting about how rotten and evil Republicans are. You're not talking to Fuzzy Bear.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2022, 11:56:39 PM »

That was a public university and these are private media outlets. Try again.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2022, 12:53:35 AM »

No, but someone should egg Tucker Carlson's house and smash his mailbox with a baseball bat.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2022, 02:15:10 AM »

That was a public university and these are private media outlets. Try again.

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2022, 02:26:12 AM »

Yes, it's Talk radio that's all it is with Sean Hannity and he tells people not to get vaccinated and Tucker is a Putin apologist, D's know what Russia did they trained Oswald during the Cuban MISSLE crisis and assassinated JFK

My Dad is an antivaccinator and he Chiefs Trump for not wearing a mask not to get vaccinated, they don't believe it's COVID they think it's a normal time and COVID is just a flu bug

Talk radio and Fox news confuse strength with barbarians, like because Proud Boys wear fatigues Ron Johnson praised proud Boys and same thing with Russia because they have better weapons than Ukraine they confuse that with being a Secular Democracy only NATO should be praised
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2022, 03:14:07 AM »

No.

CNN is just as bad in the opposite direction.

I just like PBS News Hour.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2022, 08:23:31 PM »

Not only that, but we have a SCOTUS that has correctly applied the First (and Fourteenth) Amendment(s) in the case of Near v. Minnesota (1931).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies