Betty Ireland is running for Governor of West Virginia
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:14:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Betty Ireland is running for Governor of West Virginia
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Betty Ireland is running for Governor of West Virginia  (Read 6622 times)
redcommander
YaBB God
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 30, 2010, 08:22:11 PM »

http://www.swingstateproject.com/diary/8197/wvgov-ireland-will-run

Now they just need Shelley Moore Capito to go against Manchin, and that would be a very strong ticket.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 08:36:07 PM »

Hmm. Not sure of her chances on this one, but it's a lucky break she'll very likely be going against Tomblin, who I doubt will have a very strong record in all of two years.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 09:07:54 PM »

It's more likely Capito runs for re-election than challenges Manchin. If she wanted to run for the Senate, she would've done it this year, when the Republicans pulled out the chair for her.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 11:00:04 PM »

It's more likely Capito runs for re-election than challenges Manchin. If she wanted to run for the Senate, she would've done it this year, when the Republicans pulled out the chair for her.

She didn't want the ethical issue about running for Senate and reelection to her House seat at the same time though.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 11:01:46 PM »

That reminds me - what's the Democratic bench in WV, anyway? The only ones I really know are Tomblin and Goodwin.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 11:57:01 PM »

Natalie Tennant, the Secretary of State is also a potential Democratic candidate.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 12:01:46 AM »

Natalie Tennant, the Secretary of State is also a potential Democratic candidate.

Ah, yes, I forgot about her. I'd actually venture to say she might be the strongest candidate in the end, myself - just a hunch.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 09:16:12 AM »

don't know if tomblin is popular, but I guess tennant is very popular. WV loves its politicians.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2011, 12:25:00 PM »

Great news, as this'll hopefully push Capito towards the Senate instead.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2011, 09:42:23 PM »

She didn't think Manchin could be beaten, so she didn't want to run. Now that we know that Manchin could have been beaten, she may be more likely to run. Hard to guess at the moment, but she does have aspiration beyond the House.
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2011, 10:25:41 PM »

I would vote for Manchin over Capito, because he's one of very few strong conservative Democrats.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 01:43:04 PM »

She didn't think Manchin could be beaten, so she didn't want to run. Now that we know that Manchin could have been beaten, she may be more likely to run. Hard to guess at the moment, but she does have aspiration beyond the House.

Except for the fact that it's unlikely to find such a set of favorable circumstances as this year.
Not to mention that West Virginia seems very fond of its incumbents.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2011, 02:04:02 PM »

Now that we know that Manchin could have been beaten

No we don't. We know that the polls showed him in serious trouble at one point, but we don't know if the polls actually reflected reality. The final result wasn't even close, which should give pause for thought.

Of course back then he wasn't a Senator with a record to run against.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2011, 05:20:38 PM »

isn't capito pro-choice? isn't she a moderate republican? the difference between her an manchin is minimal xD. he is more conservative on social issues than her.
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2011, 06:55:35 PM »

isn't capito pro-choice? isn't she a moderate republican? the difference between her an manchin is minimal xD. he is more conservative on social issues than her.
Exactly. Which is why Manchin is a much better representative of the people than Capito. Not that I don't like Capito, I just like Manchin better Smiley.
cowboy300
Rookie

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2011, 07:58:05 PM »

I'm not sure how strong Ireland is.  She'll have been out of office for 4 years in 2012 and beat a 90 year old in 2004.  I always assumed that Capito wanted to be governor.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2011, 05:24:41 AM »

Now that we know that Manchin could have been beaten

No we don't. We know that the polls showed him in serious trouble at one point, but we don't know if the polls actually reflected reality. The final result wasn't even close, which should give pause for thought.

Of course back then he wasn't a Senator with a record to run against.

All I can say is that Raese, a horrible candidate whose campaign made a number of terrible missteps, lost by 9 points. It's certainly not ridiculous to think that a real campaign mounted by a credible, well-liked Republican could have made the difference.

If you seriously think that Raese was up by a decent margin at one point (and I do), you have to further believe that Capito would have posted those kind of numbers or better at the same time. And if Capito was posting those kind of numbers or better, it'd have given Democrats pause as to whether or not to spend the money they did on Manchin.

Of course, it's possible that lightning could have struck twice -- that Capito's campaign could have been derailed by a Craigslist ad looking for hicks. By the same token, that kind of attack wouldn't have worked as well on her, since she wasn't the same kind of out-of-state phony Raese was.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2011, 05:31:06 AM »

Rease lost by 10.1 points.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2011, 05:34:23 AM »

Everything I said still stands -- there's no significant difference in the analysis caused by a single point.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2011, 02:41:00 PM »

That reminds me - what's the Democratic bench in WV, anyway? The only ones I really know are Tomblin and Goodwin.

Believe it or not, Demcorats have supermajorities in both WV State legislative chambers. They control the WV Senate 28-6 and the House 65-35. Its amazing how popular state Democrats are in WV. The GOP bench, besides Capito, Ireland and Raese is weak. Democrats will find somebody.
Even Oliviero, despite the national GOP wave, came within 1 point of beating McKinley in the 1st district.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2011, 02:47:43 PM »

Considering who her opponent was, Ireland's 4 point victory wasn't too impressive.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2011, 12:41:45 AM »

Considering who her opponent was, Ireland's 4 point victory wasn't too impressive.

Yes but that was before Obama became President though. The Democrats have lost a lot of strength by West Virginian standards since he was elected.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2011, 08:14:50 PM »

Believe it or not, Demcorats have supermajorities in both WV State legislative chambers. They control the WV Senate 28-6 and the House 65-35. Its amazing how popular state Democrats are in WV.

How conservative are these Democrats, though?  Is this basically Arkansas with a mining union?  
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies