Creepfest 2011 (11th Post A Picture Of Yourself Thread) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:38:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Creepfest 2011 (11th Post A Picture Of Yourself Thread) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Creepfest 2011 (11th Post A Picture Of Yourself Thread)  (Read 124660 times)
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« on: January 01, 2011, 10:06:07 PM »

Perhaps this belongs in the "Doctor Who" thread...

(And, to get ahead of the game, I am of course the one in the wheelchair.  And the one in the fez.  And the pool table.)
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 08:48:42 AM »

It's kind of scary to me that you're closer in age to my nephew than you are to me.

Just imagine how Torie must feel, most posters on here must be closer in age to his grandkids than to him.

That is, of course, if he had any.

I'm continually amused by the frequency with which people forget a very important fact about Torie.  I suppose that fact wouldn't necessarily prevent him from having grandkids, but he's a bit too old to have them in a way that wouldn't compromise his personal integrity, which I don't think he'd do Wink
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 11:41:36 AM »

Grin She is adorable!  I hope she does that whole "smiling" thing a lot. *hughughug*
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 12:42:48 PM »

You're going to be the only linguist who has ever been to a football game.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 10:29:12 PM »

Most men are not even necessary to begin with. You need a lot of women to sustain a population but shockingly few men.

Ah!  But, you see, nature, in general, abhors anything but a 1:1 gender ratio.  Imagine that some event causes the gender ratio to depart from 1:1 ratio and suddenly the ratio of men to women being born is 1:2.  That's not so bad, you might say, because the men can just have two wives instead of one.  But it's in their offspring where things start getting interesting.  You see, any individuals in generation one with any genetic predisposition towards having more sons are going to be better off than those without (or, heaven forbid, those with a predisposition to more daughters), because the males of the next generation are going to be able to mate with a ton of females but many of the females are never going to find a male.  Think of it this way: you have five sons in this arrangement, your sons will have women throwing themselves at them in droves, so they can either pick a bunch of women or the "best" women out there.  You have five daughters, meanwhile, and your daughters are lucky to find a man or two between them.  Thus, the genes coding for "more sons than the 1:2 ratio" will start spreading, and suddenly the population will reach a 1:1 equilibrium.  If the momentum is too strong, they might overshoot and have too many males... but then the exact same processes outlined above will go into effect but reversed (females "lucky", males "competitive"), and the pendulum will swing back towards 1:1.

Over evolutionary history, this has made the 1:1 gender ratio practically sacrosanct across almost every single species (the exceptions are interesting in and of themselves, and usually have to do with strange patterns of passing along genes) that has two sexes, regardless of, say, how sexes are determined, or any of the myriad other variables that might come into play.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 04:05:24 PM »

If I remember correctly, the last photo I posted here was taken during the Awful Terribleness, so here's something a bit newer:

In my - highly limited - defence, the flower is both fake and an intentional joke. The chronic inability to pose for photographs is not, though it is masked a little by the less than great quality of the picture (because otherwise you'd notice that the head is not actually still). I should see if I can dig up my semi-official photo, because that's even funnier (though in a very different way).

*hughughug*
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 06:18:18 PM »

I don't think I've posted a picture here for quite some time.

I think I had some sort of hat on before this picture was taken.  Hence the rather silly hair.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies