Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger (R-CA): Rate his Governorship
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:28:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger (R-CA): Rate his Governorship
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What do you think of Arnold's time as Governor of California ?
Approve

Disapprove

Neutral

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 35

Author Topic: Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger (R-CA): Rate his Governorship  (Read 808 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 02, 2011, 03:09:21 AM »

Iīm curious what people here think, especially the Californians ... Wink

Schwarzenegger looks back on his seven years in Sacramento

California's outgoing governor, who replaced the recalled Gray Davis in 2003, defends his record but admits to errors that were key to his inability to fulfill the promise of ending the state's 'crazy deficit spending.'

January 02, 2011 By Evan Halper, Los Angeles Times

Reporting from Sacramento — State government was failing at every level. There was an electricity crisis, a water crisis, a prison crisis. Car taxes had tripled. State contracts were tainted by corruption.

Financial ruin loomed.

In the state's historic recall election, voters turned to Arnold Schwarzenegger, a movie star whose brand was blowing stuff up, flexing muscles and delivering goofy one-liners.

Seven years later, with Schwarzenegger's tenure in its final day, the state's schools are in poor shape, the public university system is losing its sheen, the federal courts have taken control of part of the prison system. The deficit keeps growing.

In a recent interview in his stately Capitol conference room, his "Conan the Barbarian" sword resting in a case behind him, the governor looked back. He defended his record but admitted to errors that were key to his inability to fulfill the promise of tearing up the state's credit card and "ending the crazy deficit spending."

One crucial misstep came in the first few months, he said. Instead of confronting voters with the pain of dealing with the deficit he had inherited, Schwarzenegger shied away, backing a ballot initiative to borrow $15 billion to paper over the accumulated budget problem.

"It was a mistake," Schwarzenegger said. "I should've gone the other direction to early on solve the budget problem and use the political muscle I had in that first year in office."

He insists that the plan still could have worked. If the national economy had not slipped into recession in 2008, California's finances — and, by extension, his record — would look far better today, he says.

"If I had known then what I know now, that we would have another recession, I would not have signed the budget that year," he said.

That initial error had lasting consequences. Even the governor's most ardent critics acknowledge there were impressive periods of productivity in his two terms. Schwarzenegger deftly navigated the complex workers' compensation crisis, negotiating a deal to drastically cut the premiums paid by employers. The state's rolling blackouts quickly ended after he took office. His plans to audit government and root out all the waste and fraud flopped, but he ultimately won incremental reforms that will have a lasting effect. The landmark global warming law he signed propelled him — and the state — to the forefront of the environmental movement.

Yet even his biggest defenders concede that he never got control of the budget. Having missed his initial opportunity, Schwarzenegger found himself for the next several years playing a role for which he was ill suited: an inside game of Sacramento budget politics.

Schwarzenegger won election as an anti-politician and fared poorly once the public started to see him as yet another Sacramento insider. He repeatedly was outwitted and outmaneuvered by the machine Democrats and union bosses he railed against. They painted his plans for getting the budget under control as mean-spirited and damaging to the state. The public sided with them more often than not.

Much of the Legislature, meanwhile, grew irritated by him and his Hollywood shtick.

For many legislative Democrats, the irritation hardened into dislike in 2005, when the governor kicked off the year by picking a fight in his State of the State speech, demanding a tight constitutional spending limit that would force enduring large-scale cuts in education and other programs. He insisted new state workers be given not government pensions, but 401(k)-style retirement plans. He said teachers shouldn't get salary hikes just because they had been on the job a long time.

It was an agenda that thrilled the anti-tax activists at the Howard Jarvis Taxpayers Assn., the Club for Growth and Americans for Tax Reform, but left Democrats angry and perplexed.

"I remember sitting in the chambers during that speech and thinking, 'He just declared nuclear war on the first day of the session. Why is he doing this?'" said Sen. Denise Ducheny, who chaired the Budget Committee.

Schwarzenegger threatened to go to the ballot if lawmakers rejected his plans. When he did so, he tried to re-create the magic of the recall. He held grand events with big props. He swatted away protesting nurses as Sacramento "special interests" who resent him "because I always kick their butt." He declared Democratic lawmakers "girlie men," "spending addicts" and "losers."

Story continues ...

http://articles.latimes.com/print/2011/jan/02/local/la-me-schwarzenegger-legacy-20110102
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 03:20:45 AM »

He was awful.
cannonia
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.42, S: -1.30

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 06:10:07 AM »

He failed to deliver.
Mjh

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 07:48:22 AM »

It would have been better for him to stay out of politics.
Mr. Taft Republican
Taft4Prez
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 09:22:22 AM »

Amen, I don't know who the alternative was, but he couldn't have done much worse.
cannonia
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.42, S: -1.30

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 11:51:56 AM »

Amen, I don't know who the alternative was, but he couldn't have done much worse.

The alternative (whom Arnie defeated in the recall election) dug the hole that Arnie was unable to get us out of.

The other other alternative was Tom McClintock.  He would have been great with the budget, but the Legislature would not have worked with him.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 02:45:34 PM »

He's universally reviled, and for good reason. I certainly won't miss him. cannonia's right that a McClintock governorship would have been a disaster, much like one of the other Southerner who represents a district in Northern California, Lungren.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 07:10:32 PM »

Awful. Probably one of the worst governors in California's history. The state would have been better off had Davis won against the recall attempt, and some Democrat was in the office or running for an open seat in 2006 or 2010. That would have given Republicans a chance to rebuild themselves.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 07:33:42 PM »

Awful. Probably one of the worst governors in California's history. The state would have been better off had Davis won against the recall attempt, and some Democrat was in the office or running for an open seat in 2006 or 2010. That would have given Republicans a chance to rebuild themselves.

But he's a moderate!
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 09:29:58 PM »
« Edited: January 02, 2011, 09:33:38 PM by anvikshiki »

Hey, wormyguy, I haven't seen that Chinese sign you have as your banner in ages!  Smiley  It's funny that the sentence below the picture doesn't mention Stalin, even though his face is there.  At first, I thought this was a Cultural Revolution sign, but it occurs to me that it might be from the '50's.  Awesome.  Smiley
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 09:58:55 PM »

He did some okay things and some sh**tty things.

Neutral, leaning on disapprove.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies