US House Redistricting: Nebraska (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:55:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  US House Redistricting: Nebraska (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: US House Redistricting: Nebraska  (Read 6622 times)
dpmapper
« on: January 03, 2011, 12:41:25 PM »

I guess we don't really know how aggressive Nebraska will be in trying to make sure that Obama doesn't pilfer an electoral vote from them in 2012, but this is what I would do if I were them:

Obama won Douglas County (Omaha) by just over 10K votes.  McCain won the non-Douglas part of the district with about 56.2% of the vote, but that wasn't enough - if you keep Douglas intact, McCain would have needed 60% in the non-Douglas portions.  He won Sarpy County as a whole by 57.3% so the part of Sarpy that is in NE-02 was a bit bluer than the rest, but simply switching around which parts of Sarpy get put into NE-02 will be insufficient.  So what I did is add the bordering counties that *are* McCain 60+ to Omaha, plus the rural part of Sarpy and then one unsplit suburb (Papillion).  Whether McCain won this reconfigured district probably depends on how Papillion voted (it seems to be solidly upper middle class... don't know what that means in Nebraska) but chances are good. 

I also made NE-01 look a little nicer and more compact in the process.  I don't like the north-south stretching it does currently, and it would get even skinnier this go-around since NE-03 has to expand.  I suspect this configuration makes it slightly more conservative, too, since it avoids the reservations in the northeast. 

Two county splits in total, just like the current map.  The only complaints might be due to the Bellevue-Omaha split... anyone know how much they care? 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies