Dewey/Eisenhower 1952
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:23:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History
  Alternative History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Dewey/Eisenhower 1952
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Dewey/Eisenhower 1952  (Read 2962 times)
LBJ Revivalist
ModerateDemocrat1990

Political Matrix
E: -5.87, S: -2.87

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 10, 2010, 01:53:33 PM »

Even though Dewey had been beaten in '44 and '48, he apparently was still considered a potential nominee in '52, but he passed on it and instead pushed Eisenhower to run and strongly promoted Eisenhower to become the nominee.

Had he decided to run in 1952, could he have gotten the nomination? And if he did, and picked Ike (which is likely considering he liked Ike), could a Dewey/Eisenhower ticket win in 1952 or would Dewey have been beaten yet again?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 09:00:23 PM »

With national hero Ike on the ticket and with five terms of Democratic rule, yeah, Dewey would win. However, Conservatives wouldn't even have Richard Nixon to balance the ticket, and there wouldn't be as much motivation by Republicans, but still a lot.
LBJ Revivalist
ModerateDemocrat1990

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 03:28:32 AM »

With national hero Ike on the ticket and with five terms of Democratic rule, yeah, Dewey would win. However, Conservatives wouldn't even have Richard Nixon to balance the ticket, and there wouldn't be as much motivation by Republicans, but still a lot.

That leads me to something I don't get...
Richard Nixon was, for most of his public life, even while President, considered a Conservative. Liberals in his time hated him, and he hated them. Why is he now considered a Liberal, and even a Communist, by the right?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 01:51:17 PM »

Richard Nixon was, for most of his public life, even while President, considered a Conservative. Liberals in his time hated him, and he hated them. Why is he now considered a Liberal, and even a Communist, by the right?

First off, it was under Nixon we abandoned the gold standard once and for all.
Secondly, not only did he do nothing to rollback LBJ's Great Society programs, he added more government agencies such as the EPA.
Thirdly, he interfered with the economy with his attempt at wage and price controls.
Lastly, his conservative image was to a large extent based on his anti-Communist stance and yet he was responsible for detente with the Soviets and the abandonment of Taiwan in favor of Mainland China.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 03:20:17 PM »

Secondly, not only did he do nothing to rollback LBJ's Great Society programs, he added more government agencies such as the EPA.
Thirdly, he interfered with the economy with his attempt at wage and price controls.
Lastly, his conservative image was to a large extent based on his anti-Communist stance and yet he was responsible for detente with the Soviets and the abandonment of Taiwan in favor of Mainland China.

I once read that, at least during his presidency, he cultivated the anti-communist image because he thought it proved useful. He took advantage of that image by using it as a shield in order to be able to visit China. From what I know, he knew that if a Democrat were to try to visit China, they'd be torn apart, but Nixon believed that with his anti-communist reputation he could get away with it. From what I've heard, it was part of "tri-angular diplomacy" in which he played China and the USSR against each other in order to come out with better deals from both.
Mr. Taft Republican
Taft4Prez
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 08:58:02 PM »

Even though Dewey had been beaten in '44 and '48, he apparently was still considered a potential nominee in '52, but he passed on it and instead pushed Eisenhower to run and strongly promoted Eisenhower to become the nominee.

Had he decided to run in 1952, could he have gotten the nomination? And if he did, and picked Ike (which is likely considering he liked Ike), could a Dewey/Eisenhower ticket win in 1952 or would Dewey have been beaten yet again?

Of course Dewey would win, voting against Ike in any form is like voting against your own grandfather!
LBJ Revivalist
ModerateDemocrat1990

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 11:28:47 PM »

So you think Nixon was a commie?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 11:21:06 AM »

So you think Nixon was a commie?

Please stop posting...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies