WILL CHENEY RESIGN? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 12:27:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  WILL CHENEY RESIGN? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: WILL CHENEY RESIGN?  (Read 1212 times)
Bogart
bogart414
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -5.39

« on: November 22, 2004, 02:21:49 PM »

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1101041129-785386,00.html

There is an unusual feature to the second Bush Administration that is extraordinarily important but has been almost entirely overlooked. For the first time in a half-century, a two-term presidency will end without sending out its Vice President to seek a mandate for succession at the next election. Vice President Cheney will not run for the presidency, and everyone knows it. When these eight years are over, the Bush-Cheney Administration will simply close up shop.

With this in mind, Bill Scheider was talking on CNN this weekend about the possibility that Cheney may resign before the end of his term so that Bush can install a potential successor. It's an interesting thought given that this is the first time since the 50's that there is no clear candidate to succeed an incumbent.

Cheney could easily cite health concerns to this end. My thought is that it would have to be early enough to give the successor enough time to become established. What do you think?
Bogart
bogart414
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -5.39

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2004, 02:10:32 PM »

It depends on who is nominated, but it might backfire. Rank-and-file Republicans would not like the idea of being "told" who to nominate essentially, and there would be significant opposition in the primaries to the new VP.

Congress basically "chose" Ford in 1973.  I doubt if they will roll for Jeb Bush, but someone might surface.  It will be the candidate of Congress, not an extention of Bush 43.

I would also note that you would have to go back to 1928 to really find an analogy.  Turman entered the race in 1952, but withdrew.

True, and even as an incumbent President, Ford had significant opposition in 1976.

You are correct that the Senate would have to confirm the new VP, but I doubt Bush would have much trouble unless he chose someone radically conservative (which is highly unlikely).

I believe he or she would have to be approved by both houses of Congress....yep, Section 2 of the XXV Amendment.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies