US House Redistricting: Louisiana
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:50:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  US House Redistricting: Louisiana
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
Author Topic: US House Redistricting: Louisiana  (Read 35266 times)
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: November 16, 2019, 12:26:04 PM »

On 2010 racial figures. I'm skeptical that will continue to be the case in 2020.

Why is that?
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #151 on: November 16, 2019, 12:57:56 PM »

JBE's case doesn't rest in the courts, it rests with the census data. If the AA pop is high enough, he's going to make the case that AAs deserve 2/6 rather than 1/6. Presently AA pop is near 33%, and NOLA rebounded hard after Katrina, but the AA pop in the belt is shrinking, like everywhere. There's a few ways you can draw that second seat, but it always involves going from BR to Caddo. This is less a case for common cause and fair Redistricting groups, and more a case for NAACP. I'm going to have a LA thread up tomorrow if JBE win, but the simple explanation is that this is going to be a battleground, no matter if the GOP has a supermajority or not.

It's also possible to draw a black district with Lafayette+Baton Rouge and then draw a non-majority Black New Orleans district which would still very likely elect an African-American.

I think this is the much better option for Democrats long term.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #152 on: November 16, 2019, 01:08:59 PM »

Now the question does RIchmond even want his district diluted?
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #153 on: November 16, 2019, 02:01:45 PM »

D+25 to lets say D+18 isn't diluting lul. Nobody needs a 60% AA pop seat except perhaps in Mississippi these days, districts with that level of BVAP were  struck down in NC. As long as he can easily survive a primary I assume he will be happy, which probably needs at least say a 10% gap between AA and Whites, which is easily achievable. Whites after all vote between the D and R primaries whereas AA's are solely in the D primary.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #154 on: November 16, 2019, 02:31:12 PM »

D+25 to lets say D+18 isn't diluting lul. Nobody needs a 60% AA pop seat except perhaps in Mississippi these days, districts with that level of BVAP were  struck down in NC. As long as he can easily survive a primary I assume he will be happy, which probably needs at least say a 10% gap between AA and Whites, which is easily achievable. Whites after all vote between the D and R primaries whereas AA's are solely in the D primary.

Richmond has never been anything even remotely resembling a team player though (in contrast to someone like, say, G.K. Butterfield), so it's hard to say for sure what he'll do.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #155 on: November 16, 2019, 02:42:29 PM »
« Edited: November 16, 2019, 05:51:34 PM by Deluded retread Vice Chair LFROMNJ »

Lucy Clay needed a D+25 to be happy, idk about Richmond
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #156 on: November 16, 2019, 11:56:54 PM »

Lucy Clay needed a D+25 to be happy, idk about Richmond
O/c in St Louis far more whites are Democratic than in New Orleans. Plus he had Carnahan who was drawn out of a seat running against him in a primary too, Richmond doesn't have that problem.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #157 on: September 20, 2021, 10:08:43 PM »

One thing that’s interesting is we might actually end up with a pretty fair Louisiana House map and Dems might be able to continue to deny the GOP a supermajority.

According to my calculations, Dems actually have a pretty decent geography advantage in the state, mostly thanks to white rurals “hyper packing” and black areas being lower turnout. Combine that with VRA, and you get a bunch of 60ish% Dem districts and 80% R districts. It’s actually pretty easy to make a relatively compact LA House map on 2020 numbers where Biden outright wins a majority of seats.

Am I saying Dems will outright win a majority under the new maps. Def not. However, I do think they will be given a good 40% of the seats or so and have no less of a viable path to a majority than in a state like Ohio or even Wisconsin which is weird to think about.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #158 on: September 21, 2021, 07:40:23 AM »

One thing that’s interesting is we might actually end up with a pretty fair Louisiana House map and Dems might be able to continue to deny the GOP a supermajority.

According to my calculations, Dems actually have a pretty decent geography advantage in the state, mostly thanks to white rurals “hyper packing” and black areas being lower turnout. Combine that with VRA, and you get a bunch of 60ish% Dem districts and 80% R districts. It’s actually pretty easy to make a relatively compact LA House map on 2020 numbers where Biden outright wins a majority of seats.

Am I saying Dems will outright win a majority under the new maps. Def not. However, I do think they will be given a good 40% of the seats or so and have no less of a viable path to a majority than in a state like Ohio or even Wisconsin which is weird to think about.

That's really interesting.  It seems like the main thing legislative Dems need is 3 or more separate cities that are significant vs. statewide?  LA has NOLA, Baton Rouge and Shreveport (plus smaller cities in Cajun country that are no longer Dem).  NC legislative Dems have held up better than GA legislative Dems in recent times despite the Biden/Warnock/Ossoff wins in GA, probably for the same regional distribution reasons?

I do strongly expect LA to trend Dem over the decade (continuing film industry/artsy migration to NOLA + Jefferson Parish finally gives out like the ATL suburbs did last year). 
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #159 on: September 21, 2021, 08:51:43 AM »

Troy Carter said he's cool with losing some strength for a second majority-minority district.

Lognog
United States

« Reply #160 on: October 07, 2021, 06:20:13 PM »

Is it possible to make two compact black-majority seats or not?

I've made a bunch of non-compact ones but they don't look quite as good as I'd like

It's harder now than it was last decade
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #161 on: November 22, 2021, 05:31:07 PM »

JBE indicates he will veto unfair maps.

Does anyone know when the two Democrats elected to the state house in the November 13 special elections take office?
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #162 on: November 22, 2021, 05:41:46 PM »
« Edited: November 22, 2021, 05:56:06 PM by Skill and Chance »

Note a rural Dem switched to Independent earlier this year, so there are now 3 I's.  R's would need 2 of the 3 I's to override a veto, 2 are rural, one represents part of New Orleans. 

Note there was a high profile culture war bill in July after her switch where the veto was sustained.  There were only 68 votes to override, all of the Republicans.
Thunder98 🇮🇱 🤝 🇵🇸
Thunder98
United States

P P P
« Reply #163 on: November 22, 2021, 06:03:36 PM »

I was able to make 2 safe Dem seats that are almost Black Majority. And proportionality wise, it's very fair.

District 5 is shaped like a seahorse lmao.

https://davesredistricting.org/join/54bca02c-e8c0-4ecf-bc2c-ddb071e179b1

GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #164 on: November 25, 2021, 02:10:47 AM »

A modest proposal. Yellow and green are both 50.1% black by CVAP. Hilariously, this got a 100 for Minority and Proportionality and below 20 for all other metrics
patzer
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -3.48

« Reply #165 on: November 25, 2021, 02:26:54 PM »

Just for fun I thought I'd see how much I could gerrymander Louisiana.

By 2016-20 average the districts are D+10.4, D+10.0, D+7.0, D+1.7, R+61.1, and R+69.8.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #166 on: November 25, 2021, 03:57:42 PM »

Just for fun I thought I'd see how much I could gerrymander Louisiana.

By 2016-20 average the districts are D+10.4, D+10.0, D+7.0, D+1.7, R+61.1, and R+69.8.

As god intended
Biden his time
Abdullah
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #167 on: January 25, 2022, 04:12:19 PM »

Bumping in light of the Alabama decision

Louisiana has some 170K more Black people than Alabama does.
Any configurations you all have?
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #168 on: January 25, 2022, 04:50:23 PM »

We don't know what the end result here would be yet, but I will note in preparation for maps that one can draw a 50% BVAP seat without using Shreveport or the counties adjacent to Vicksburg. BR + North Lafayette + some surrounding environs are all that is needed. This does push the New Orleans seat below 50% BVAP, but it doesn't need to be that high to perform.

Now why do I note this? Well, while these seats are compact and reflect Gingles, they give middle fingers to the R incumbents. Scalise and Grave's seats would see major overhauls, and cutting Lafayette is likely undesirable by Higgins. So, if there is to be a second AA seat, it would likely be less compact than ideal specifically to get the GOP incumbents that matter on board.
BoiseBoy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.05, S: -1.13

P P
« Reply #169 on: January 28, 2022, 02:12:34 PM »

Louisiana is moving fast. House expects to pass a map by February 5.

Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #170 on: January 29, 2022, 12:27:54 AM »

I was actually able to create a map in MS with 2 black districts, though both only have plurality, not majority-black VAPs and populations: https://districtr.org/plan/103583. The 2nd, 3rd and 4th aren't too compact, particularly not the 2nd and 3rd, but nonetheless, I think it could happen and could produce a 2-2 map.

Louisiana is moving fast. House expects to pass a map by February 5.

Edwards should remember he has veto power and they don't have the votes to override. He can hold out for a 4-2, I think, or at least a 4-1 with one dicey seat.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #171 on: January 29, 2022, 12:37:52 PM »

Is this a decent map with two performing districts?

BoiseBoy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.05, S: -1.13

P P
« Reply #172 on: January 31, 2022, 10:59:20 PM »

A bunch of bills have been filed today with congressional draft plans. There are a lot of 4-2 maps, but there are also least change 5-1 maps as well.

ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #173 on: January 31, 2022, 11:07:25 PM »

One map creates 2nd black seat and another keeps the LA-02 snake least change map (Dem vs R map)
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #174 on: January 31, 2022, 11:16:43 PM »

The 5 maps. 1, 3 and 5 appear to make a 2nd black seat, while 2 and 4 don't. Things about to get heated.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies