US House Redistricting: Louisiana
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:30:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  US House Redistricting: Louisiana
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10
Author Topic: US House Redistricting: Louisiana  (Read 35466 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: January 31, 2022, 11:30:09 PM »
« edited: January 31, 2022, 11:36:10 PM by lfromnj »

So no compromise map on the table where the Baton Rouge metro is kept whole for a seat similar to the old Arkansas 2nd.

The 2nd map seems interesting, its LA02 has a much larger portion of EBR. My bet is that its an attempt to peel off 1 or 2 EBR dem legislators to help their own position in a primary.
BoiseBoy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.05, S: -1.13

P P
« Reply #176 on: January 31, 2022, 11:56:30 PM »

So no compromise map on the table where the Baton Rouge metro is kept whole for a seat similar to the old Arkansas 2nd.

The 2nd map seems interesting, its LA02 has a much larger portion of EBR. My bet is that its an attempt to peel off 1 or 2 EBR dem legislators to help their own position in a primary.
The second map lacks a 6th district. I don't know what happened there.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #177 on: January 31, 2022, 11:58:52 PM »

Oh shoot the 2nd map isn't a congressional map good catch
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #178 on: February 01, 2022, 12:05:43 AM »
« Edited: February 01, 2022, 12:14:40 AM by ProgressiveModerate »

So basically we have 1 least change map that keeps the Snake and 3 that create a 2nd minority/Dem leaning seat.

The least change map was introduced by R and the 3 2nd Dem seat maps are introduced by Dems
BoiseBoy
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #179 on: February 01, 2022, 12:06:45 AM »

Oh shoot the 2nd map isn't a congressional map good catch
Yeah I double checked and it's for the Louisiana Public Service Commission.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #180 on: February 01, 2022, 06:13:48 AM »

So this is obviously going to just be 1 Dem seat right?

I feel like the play in states with split government is whoever has the majority on the court just runs out the clock and gets there way anyway. Dems have no chance with a court being split 5-1-1
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #181 on: February 01, 2022, 11:50:09 AM »

I feel like the play in states with split government is whoever has the majority on the court just runs out the clock and gets there way anyway. Dems have no chance with a court being split 5-1-1
Could a 5-1 map similar to this happen?

BoiseBoy
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #182 on: February 01, 2022, 12:33:42 PM »

Probably going to be the least change map proposed by Sen. Hewitt or something very similar. As much as I would like to see a second black district (plurality or otherwise), the legislature will not pass it and JBE will not have enough leverage to push for a second seat.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #183 on: February 01, 2022, 02:02:17 PM »

Probably going to be the least change map proposed by Sen. Hewitt or something very similar. As much as I would like to see a second black district (plurality or otherwise), the legislature will not pass it and JBE will not have enough leverage to push for a second seat.

I mean, he would definitely veto and send it to court, which could be favorable-ish given the Alabama decision we just saw.

However, it's now in question whether JBE still has his job at the point it gets to the governor's desk.  Sadly, he may not be as ethical as he appeared, and if that issue has legs, the State Senate could remove him on a party line vote (though, given the allegations, it's unlikely to be a pure party line vote if it escalates to an impeachment trial). 
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #184 on: February 01, 2022, 03:49:42 PM »

https://davesredistricting.org/join/3bb395b3-c1e8-4885-96e0-ecfcfc5ccdd7
surprised that no one has proposed a map like this yet. Two pretty safe seats, both 49.7% black, the largest minority in both. Maybe could make them majority with a bit of shifting around

Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #185 on: February 01, 2022, 03:50:12 PM »

Note there is currently a suit against the supreme court map, both on OMOV grounds since it hasn't been updated in decades, and on the grounds that there should be a second AA seat. The leg has plans to actually remap the court lines this year unlike last cycle, but they may only end up addressing point 1 rather than both. However, as the map shows, if one considers it difficult but not hard to get two AA seats above 50% BVAP on a 6 seat map, it is incredibly easy on a 7 seat one.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #186 on: February 01, 2022, 03:51:47 PM »

IIRC Scotus has already ruled against OMOV for State supreme court districts. 7 districts is actually pretty nice for Lousiana. 6 is awkard af to deal with.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #187 on: February 01, 2022, 03:56:40 PM »

IIRC Scotus has already ruled against OMOV for State supreme court districts. 7 districts is actually pretty nice for Lousiana. 6 is awkard af to deal with.

Yeah though having one seat be 150K underpop and one 150K over - thank you Katrina - doesn't really pass the smell test, which is why the leg has put the court map on the schedule. Similar situation as IL earlier.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #188 on: February 01, 2022, 04:08:17 PM »

Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #189 on: February 01, 2022, 04:15:59 PM »

Yeah that shows the "limits" of LA. In a state roughly 1/3 AA it is simple to get 1/3 of seats to be AA seats...but then you have to reach. Anyway, the GOP Leg will likely be giving JBE a least change plan to veto:

BoiseBoy
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #190 on: February 01, 2022, 04:31:45 PM »

Yeah that shows the "limits" of LA. In a state roughly 1/3 AA it is simple to get 1/3 of seats to be AA seats...but then you have to reach. Anyway, the GOP Leg will likely be giving JBE a least change plan to veto:

Least change is not surprising at all, It'll probably be closer to the Hewitt plan. Bel Edwards will veto, and then the LA House will fail to override it. I wonder what the court will do.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #191 on: February 01, 2022, 05:28:41 PM »

Have democrats considered bribing the cajuns?

ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #192 on: February 01, 2022, 07:45:34 PM »
« Edited: February 01, 2022, 07:50:43 PM by ProgressiveModerate »

One interesting thing is both maps make LA-06 noticeably less red, though not enough to be competitive. Wonder why considering the other seats are Uber safe and LA-02 isn’t severely overpopulated or anything.

Also interesting that all the Dem maps with the 2nd black seat make it extremely safe rather than some of the Biden + 6 or Biden + 10 configs I’ve seen here.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #193 on: February 01, 2022, 08:08:26 PM »

Also interesting that all the Dem maps with the 2nd black seat make it extremely safe rather than some of the Biden + 6 or Biden + 10 configs I’ve seen here.

That's the thing about redistricting in the deep south. You either get a mandated minority seat or a bleached white seat - zero sum. In a fair world there would be some more variation, bot not much. Either LA is found to be legally required to provide for a second AA seat, and therefore makes it performing so that there arn't time and money consuming MS SD-22 style cases, or it isn't and 5-1 remains.

Also, somewhat related, but the diagonal was submitted as a proposal seemingly for variations sake.

patzer
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -3.48

« Reply #194 on: February 02, 2022, 06:57:30 AM »

Surprising how ugly most of these maps are. I tried making a more compact one. https://davesredistricting.org/join/b2e3ecff-2da9-42f2-b9bb-d467c78a4a52

In this map the 2nd district is plurality-black CVAP despite only staying in the New Orleans area- there's no need to expand it outwards any further. And the 6th is Biden+3 so would probably stay R in 2022 but would be competitive in general. 5th is Trump+16 so almost certainly safe but could conceivably fall with a strong candidate in a favourable midterm.

President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #195 on: February 02, 2022, 07:57:28 AM »

Surprising how ugly most of these maps are. I tried making a more compact one. https://davesredistricting.org/join/b2e3ecff-2da9-42f2-b9bb-d467c78a4a52

In this map the 2nd district is plurality-black CVAP despite only staying in the New Orleans area- there's no need to expand it outwards any further. And the 6th is Biden+3 so would probably stay R in 2022 but would be competitive in general. 5th is Trump+16 so almost certainly safe but could conceivably fall with a strong candidate in a favourable midterm.

Part of me is immensely displeased by the fact your 2nd splits both Orleans and Jefferson parishes, while another part of me is pleased by the compactness.
I guess what I would have done is give it all of Orleans but otherwise leave the map unchanged.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #196 on: February 02, 2022, 07:59:43 AM »

Part of me is immensely displeased by the fact your 2nd splits both Orleans and Jefferson parishes, while another part of me is pleased by the compactness.
I guess what I would have done is give it all of Orleans but otherwise leave the map unchanged.

Louisiana Parishes, especially in the Southeast corner suck
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #197 on: February 02, 2022, 08:04:58 AM »

Louisiana Parishes, especially in the Southeast corner suck
Depends on the parish.
I will say the discontiguity of St. Martin Parish is something of an eyesore though.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #198 on: February 04, 2022, 12:24:53 PM »

Senate committee votes to advance only 5-1 maps, the the shock of nobody. Courts or compromise will only occur if the expected veto holds.
soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
« Reply #199 on: February 04, 2022, 12:46:55 PM »

Senate committee votes to advance only 5-1 maps, the the shock of nobody. Courts or compromise will only occur if the expected veto holds.

Which it should, given the state of the House. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens in the courts - this hasn't shaken out like I expected so far, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up too high.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies