US House Redistricting: Kentucky (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:41:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  US House Redistricting: Kentucky (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: US House Redistricting: Kentucky  (Read 34337 times)
muon2
Atlas Icon

« on: November 16, 2011, 08:22:38 AM »

This would be my neutral plan. No county is divided except Jefferson and the maximum deviation is 928 persons. Districts are compact and incumbents remain in their current districts.

muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 01:38:27 PM »

Muon2, you chopped KY-06 to pieces, but your switch out of Dem Franklin County for that grab bag of Dem counties in the east left the partisan balance about the same - 54% McCain of the two party vote as compared to the 55% it is now. I would assume however, that they will just end up with the existing map, which requires only very minor changes. Why would they do otherwise?

My KY-6 may seem chopped up, but it preserves 62% of the population in the district. I also would justify the rest of that district based on using the I-64 corridor east of Lexington.

My goal was compactness and whole counties with a small enough deviation that it could be justified based on the stated goals. Of course, I too expect that reality would indeed keep the map similar to the present version. This is merely what I would do. Smiley
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 08:04:21 AM »

If only they'd have used my methodology I've espoused on the CA wine country thread, they could have maximized subregions and guaranteed minimal splits while staying within the 5% limit. Smiley
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 09:12:01 AM »

Even with 6 CDs in 2020 there should be some shifts due to population loss or minimal change in much of the state. The growth is in the metro areas of the north and a pocket at Bowling Green. That should pull the large rural districts more to the north.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 06:06:27 PM »

That seems kind of yucky. Why the strips splitting the Cinci suburbs?
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 10:32:32 PM »

It still doesn't explain why the Tea Party's suit is more important than that of the ACLU.

A suit challenging the failure of the state to comply with their constitutional duty should not be dismissed. Consolidation of the suits is reasonable, and the county clerk's suit (Tea Party as you describe it) is directly to the need of the state to act. If the court doesn't consolidate then the focus should go to the suit that is most directly on point, and that's the one from the county clerk.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies