US House Redistricting: Kentucky (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:13:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  US House Redistricting: Kentucky (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: US House Redistricting: Kentucky  (Read 34495 times)
Kevinstat

« on: January 28, 2012, 08:04:18 PM »
« edited: January 28, 2012, 08:31:51 PM by Kevinstat »

I don't understand what the deal is with the border between the 1st and 2nd in the GOP map/current map.  What's the reason for the 1st hooking underneath the 2nd.  Is it to keep incumbents in their districts or something.  I actually like the GOP map better except for that part.

I believe that was done in 1991 when Kentucky lost it's seventh U.S. House seat.  The Democrats, whom I assume were in complete control back then, were probably thinking that the fouth district would be somewhat of a Republican vote sink (paradoxically it was the only Dem seat in the state at the end of the life of those lines), the fifth would be a tossup but fairly safe for a pork-spending incumbent after 1992, the first and second would continue to elect conservative Democrats (Tom Barlow messed that up by winning the 1992 KY-01 primary), the third district would remain a Democratic stronghold, and the R-held sixth district would likely be won back (that actually worked in the short term, and is working again now).  Obviously things didn't work out according to plan.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies