US House Redistricting: Alabama (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:16:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  US House Redistricting: Alabama (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: US House Redistricting: Alabama  (Read 16937 times)
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« on: January 12, 2011, 07:57:37 PM »

On an aside... just read the profile of the new Congresswoman for AL-07. She is ridiculously impressive. Too bad she's in Alabama, so she'll never be anything more than a Representative unless she gets appointed to something (or runs for President, but I'm not convinced any Representative could leap straight from the House to a Presidential nomination these days).
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 10:06:27 AM »

So, how likely is it that Alabama be required to have two black-majority seats? It's 26% black, which is much closer to 2/7 than 1/7, and two black majority seats are not only possible but fairly easy. Map below has seats that are 55% black (the Birmingham seat) and 64% black (the Montgomery seat).

Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 10:24:27 AM »

It could probably be cut back from Etowah and Calhoun Counties in exchange for some rural areas to the south if they would be better suited to communities of interest analysis. I don't think you could do a 50% black seat in just the Birmingham MSA, though.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 11:16:09 AM »
« Edited: February 03, 2011, 11:19:58 AM by Verily »

It could probably be cut back from Etowah and Calhoun Counties in exchange for some rural areas to the south if they would be better suited to communities of interest analysis. I don't think you could do a 50% black seat in just the Birmingham MSA, though.

Can the green seat be done without chopping CD-1 in half and forcing water continuity? And I'm not talking a single precinct chain, but rather cutting the Mobile leg out entirely.

Probably. I didn't try it. It has a LOT of wiggle room, though.

You could also get land continuity by just drawing out the southern and coastal parts of Mobile to get the western areas connected to one of the bridges across Mobile Bay while leaving the other black parts of Mobile in the Montgomery black seat. That's definitely feasible, especially because I-10 runs right along the water on the Mobile side so you don't need to cut through the populated areas.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies