North Carolina Teabaggers resegregate schools (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:31:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  North Carolina Teabaggers resegregate schools (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: North Carolina Teabaggers resegregate schools  (Read 8724 times)
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: January 13, 2011, 12:50:23 AM »

Am I missing something, I don't see the part where it says that back children are not allowed in the same schools? I disagree with them, but there is no racism here, moron.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 01:04:04 AM »
« Edited: January 13, 2011, 02:10:10 AM by Pacific Councilor Jbrase »

Am I missing something, I don't see the part where it says that back children are not allowed in the same schools? I disagree with them, but there is no racism here, moron.

Segregation does not need to be statutory to count as actual segregation.
if people in one area happen to be mostly white, and the school reflects that that isn't segregation, that is just reflective of the areas demographic makeup. the high school I went to was roughly 25%-30% Hispanic , the same as the community we live in, but no one is crying segregation just because we don't bus in a but load of extra students from downtown Houston which would make our school more diverse.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 01:23:22 AM »

If the schools are not equal opportunity or at least close to it, there is a big problem. The system really isn't about diversity, but equal opportunity. The Tea Party and their supporters can through out all the spin they like, it doesn't change what they're real agenda is.
I agree that schools should be equal opportunity, but its wrong to try and paint them as racists for operating the same way most schools in America do.

I expect Lief to call people he disagrees with racist tea-bagging anarcho-nazis, but you guys are better than that.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 01:36:10 AM »

Its one thing if it just happened to be the way things were, I think its a bit different when changes are made to something that has been around for awhile.

One thing to look at is how they draw up the lines.  If you have lets say a poor mostly minority neighborhood next to a fairly affluent white neighborhood, would the school boundries cut a bit into both neighborhoods, or will the border of the school lines be the exact same as the neighborhood lines.  

Well its one thing if it were both in the same town, but this sounds like a case where its people from the city and a different suburb. I disagree with the school board here, but you can not tie this to racism, or wanting to segregate. that would be if they were telling people in their own community if they could go to the school or not.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 02:17:44 AM »

no matter how you draw the lines there will always be people in the district and people not in the district, thus in a way segregation. But what some here seem to be spinning this as is that they are going back to the 50's and saying no minorities allowed, when in fact they are just doing what most districts do. I am on your guy's side, but too many of you are too quick to play the "omg teabagging racists!" card.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 09:07:27 AM »

I don't think the race factor can be denied here.  Those who are in favor of this saying things like its not Selma 1960 anymore, while that is true its not it does show that race was a factor.

As far as city and suburb we will see when the lines are drawn.  In some cases you do have affluent white areas very close to poor minority areas.  If a line gets drawn right along racial or socio-economic lines its a major major problem, and will truly show the root of what they are trying to do here.
Those in favor are saying that because people are calling the move racist, not the otherway around.

And what if those lines also happen to be the lines separating Raleigh from the suburb?

Race may have been a motive, it is North Carolina after all, but we cannot just jump to conclusions like that when the only evidence of racism is just our own bias to believe that southern people are all racist hicks.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 01:53:06 AM »

So Lief, care to change the title of this thread since it clearly has nothing to do with tea partiers, or segregation?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies