Pacific Supreme Council Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:08:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Pacific Supreme Council Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
Author Topic: Pacific Supreme Council Thread  (Read 25053 times)
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2011, 10:22:59 PM »
« edited: January 22, 2011, 10:26:02 PM by Pacific Councilor Mr. Fuzzleton »

By the way, if this bill passes it will also ban abortions during the first trimester (when the fetus does not even have a heartbeat) from public health care treatment options.  That would definitely be a stretch.

Actually, I intentionally made my bills very specific. The only sections of the Public Funding of Abortion Act that would be repealed would be the one specifically for taxpayer subsidized abortions and the section that legalizes partial-birth abortion. I would have liked to have repealed the whole thing, but I want to be realistic about what can be done here.

As for my bills, they do not ban abortions in the first trimester. I did not repeal the subsidies to reproductive health clinics for maintenance, and I did not ban abortion in the third trimester again. I think that both of those things should happen, but that is not what is currently on the table.

I'm not saying it bans first trimester abortions altogether, I'm saying that it bans first trimester abortions from public coverage (as well as any other kind) by repealing the 1st section of the Public Funding in Abortion Act.  
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2011, 10:42:40 PM »

By the way, if this bill passes it will also ban abortions during the first trimester (when the fetus does not even have a heartbeat) from public health care treatment options.  That would definitely be a stretch.

Actually, I intentionally made my bills very specific. The only sections of the Public Funding of Abortion Act that would be repealed would be the one specifically for taxpayer subsidized abortions and the section that legalizes partial-birth abortion. I would have liked to have repealed the whole thing, but I want to be realistic about what can be done here.

As for my bills, they do not ban abortions in the first trimester. I did not repeal the subsidies to reproductive health clinics for maintenance, and I did not ban abortion in the third trimester again. I think that both of those things should happen, but that is not what is currently on the table.

I'm not saying it bans first trimester abortions altogether, I'm saying that it bans first trimester abortions from public coverage (as well as any other kind) by repealing the 1st section of the Public Funding in Abortion Act.  

Gotcha. Yes, you are correct, at least for public coverage. It shouldn't affect private coverage though.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2011, 10:43:26 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The council vote is 3 for, 1 against.  Cheesy Grin hughughug Grin Cheesy
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2011, 10:51:19 PM »

Fuzzy, what is your opinion on the partial-birth abortion ban I've proposed?
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2011, 02:52:35 PM »

Fuzzy, what is your opinion on the partial-birth abortion ban I've proposed?

I would be willing to compromise with you on that.  I think that it should only be used if there are no other options and the mother's health is at risk.  I've seen the procedure of partial birth abortion, and I admit it really goes too far. 
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2011, 03:34:18 PM »

How about this amendment? I admit, I'm not sure that the situation you describe realistically occurs, but just in case:

Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2011, 03:48:02 PM »

How about this amendment? I admit, I'm not sure that the situation you describe realistically occurs, but just in case:

That looks good.  I know partial birth abortions are very rare, but just in case.  Thanks  Smiley
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2011, 02:49:03 AM »

Sorry if this is a bit late, I was swamped with work when I got back home.

The Taxation of Drugs and Alcohol Beverages Act has passed with a 3-1 majority.

Thanks to realistic for submitting the bill to the People's Assembly in my absence.  Debate on Realistic's bills will continue to tomorrow night at 7 PM, when I will call a 72-hour vote.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2011, 11:36:40 AM »

I fully support the latter two bills that realistic introduced, but I am not sold on the 1st.

While I was governor/Emperor of the SE/IDS we brought in sweeping economic reforms that made the region a great place for new businesses. Lowered some taxes, abolished others, and gave credits to new businesses getting started. Now this bill would add an additional tax on top of old ones after just raising taxes on other various items in the previous bill. My point is that we will be chasing jobs out of our region and into places like the IDS.

And also the economy isn't exactly great at the moment, higher taxes like this and the previous bill can be paid for by big businesses, but the smaller local businesses that may be struggling already will suffer.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2011, 12:38:42 PM »
« Edited: January 24, 2011, 12:41:14 PM by Pacific Councilor realisticidealist »

I fully support the latter two bills that realistic introduced, but I am not sold on the 1st.

While I was governor/Emperor of the SE/IDS we brought in sweeping economic reforms that made the region a great place for new businesses. Lowered some taxes, abolished others, and gave credits to new businesses getting started. Now this bill would add an additional tax on top of old ones after just raising taxes on other various items in the previous bill. My point is that we will be chasing jobs out of our region and into places like the IDS.

And also the economy isn't exactly great at the moment, higher taxes like this and the previous bill can be paid for by big businesses, but the smaller local businesses that may be struggling already will suffer.

I honestly wouldn't be disappointed if we chased prositution jobs out of the region. Tongue

That said, if you have specific tax cut proposals, you are welcome to introduce them.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2011, 02:34:04 PM »

I honestly wouldn't be disappointed if we chased prositution jobs out of the region. Tongue

That said, if you have specific tax cut proposals, you are welcome to introduce them.
Easier said than done, I don't anything passing the assembly if it means tax cuts that affect those bourgeoisie pigs. Tongue

I'll see if I have time to write up something later.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2011, 04:19:46 PM »

I agree, prostitution should be no vice for anyone who wants employment.   Want to ban it?
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2011, 06:24:50 PM »

I agree, prostitution should be no vice for anyone who wants employment.   Want to ban it?

I don't think banning it is quite the way I'd go about it because I don't believe that prostitutes should be criminalized for being (typically) victims of circumstances. I can present a comprehensive proposal based on what I think if you'd like.

Plus, a ban probably wouldn't make it through the legislature.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2011, 09:58:26 AM »

The vote is open on both of realistic's bills.  If you wish you amend the bills, let them fail here and then reintroduce them with the amended info.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2011, 12:29:09 PM »

Oh, sorry, I thought it said Section 1 instead of 4.  My bad.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2011, 12:34:10 PM »

Aye
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2011, 12:34:48 PM »

Nay

Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2011, 12:36:03 PM »

Aye
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2011, 12:46:52 PM »

Taxation of Prostitution Act: Aye
Amendment to the Public Funding of Abortion Act: Aye
Partial-Birth Abortion Ban Act: Aye
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #69 on: January 26, 2011, 04:38:33 AM »

Yea to all
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2011, 12:42:57 AM »

Taxation of Prostitution Act: Nay
Amendment to the Public Funding of Abortion Act: Aye
Partial-Birth Abortion Ban Act: Aye
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2011, 01:20:09 AM »

Partial-Birth Abortion Act has passed 4-0
The Taxation of Prostitiution Act has passed 3-1
The Amendment to the Public Funding of Abortion Act has passed 3-1

x ArchangelZero

The floor is now open to new bills.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2011, 10:03:03 AM »

On a side-note, I'm starting to find the tandem of the Council passing things and the Assembly voting them down very interesting.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2011, 12:26:33 PM »

On a side-note, I'm starting to find the tandem of the Council passing things and the Assembly voting them down very interesting.

The problem is that there are only 3 people voting in the Assembly. If you councilors could vote (which would be logicals since you are citizens), the bills would pass.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #74 on: January 27, 2011, 01:02:04 PM »
« Edited: January 27, 2011, 01:56:21 PM by Pacific Councilor Jbrase »

I would like to introduce this.

Grin

this should have no problem passing the assembly
(relax Ebowed, I'm just messing with you.)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies