Pacific Supreme Council Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:51:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Pacific Supreme Council Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Pacific Supreme Council Thread  (Read 25104 times)
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« on: January 13, 2011, 01:57:06 AM »

Should we elect a President Pro-Tempor or a Speaker or something? (Not to try and steal a certain Lt Gov's job Tongue )

I initially thought about going with that, but it seems a little unnecessary when there are only 4 or 5 members on the Council. Furthermore, having the 'chair' not be part of the voting membership is preferable in my opinion as it limits bias and equalizes the power relationships. As long as the Lt. Governor does his job (now that he actually has one Tongue ), that is. Wink
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 09:47:07 PM »

Is voting open?
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 12:23:16 AM »

Aye.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 12:27:15 PM »

I would support putting the same tax on tobacco and alcohol.

I was going to suggest the same thing. For that matter, the Pacific has a number of other legal drugs that could be included as well.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 09:01:52 PM »
« Edited: January 20, 2011, 09:17:42 PM by Pacific Councilor realisticidealist »

I would like to offer the following changes:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I'll introduce another bill to address JBrase's concerns.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 09:15:01 PM »

A couple more bills I'd like to introduce when we're done with this one:

I'm sorry if I did this out of order.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 03:26:27 PM »

So how long until we vote on this? Tonight?
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 03:18:43 PM »

Aye on fuzzy's bill.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 03:23:24 PM »

By the way, if this bill passes it will also ban abortions during the first trimester (when the fetus does not even have a heartbeat) from public health care treatment options.  That would definitely be a stretch.

Actually, I intentionally made my bills very specific. The only sections of the Public Funding of Abortion Act that would be repealed would be the one specifically for taxpayer subsidized abortions and the section that legalizes partial-birth abortion. I would have liked to have repealed the whole thing, but I want to be realistic about what can be done here.

As for my bills, they do not ban abortions in the first trimester. I did not repeal the subsidies to reproductive health clinics for maintenance, and I did not ban abortion in the third trimester again. I think that both of those things should happen, but that is not what is currently on the table.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 10:42:40 PM »

By the way, if this bill passes it will also ban abortions during the first trimester (when the fetus does not even have a heartbeat) from public health care treatment options.  That would definitely be a stretch.

Actually, I intentionally made my bills very specific. The only sections of the Public Funding of Abortion Act that would be repealed would be the one specifically for taxpayer subsidized abortions and the section that legalizes partial-birth abortion. I would have liked to have repealed the whole thing, but I want to be realistic about what can be done here.

As for my bills, they do not ban abortions in the first trimester. I did not repeal the subsidies to reproductive health clinics for maintenance, and I did not ban abortion in the third trimester again. I think that both of those things should happen, but that is not what is currently on the table.

I'm not saying it bans first trimester abortions altogether, I'm saying that it bans first trimester abortions from public coverage (as well as any other kind) by repealing the 1st section of the Public Funding in Abortion Act.  

Gotcha. Yes, you are correct, at least for public coverage. It shouldn't affect private coverage though.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 10:51:19 PM »

Fuzzy, what is your opinion on the partial-birth abortion ban I've proposed?
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 03:34:18 PM »

How about this amendment? I admit, I'm not sure that the situation you describe realistically occurs, but just in case:

RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 12:38:42 PM »
« Edited: January 24, 2011, 12:41:14 PM by Pacific Councilor realisticidealist »

I fully support the latter two bills that realistic introduced, but I am not sold on the 1st.

While I was governor/Emperor of the SE/IDS we brought in sweeping economic reforms that made the region a great place for new businesses. Lowered some taxes, abolished others, and gave credits to new businesses getting started. Now this bill would add an additional tax on top of old ones after just raising taxes on other various items in the previous bill. My point is that we will be chasing jobs out of our region and into places like the IDS.

And also the economy isn't exactly great at the moment, higher taxes like this and the previous bill can be paid for by big businesses, but the smaller local businesses that may be struggling already will suffer.

I honestly wouldn't be disappointed if we chased prositution jobs out of the region. Tongue

That said, if you have specific tax cut proposals, you are welcome to introduce them.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 06:24:50 PM »

I fully support the latter two bills that realistic introduced, but I am not sold on the 1st.

While I was governor/Emperor of the SE/IDS we brought in sweeping economic reforms that made the region a great place for new businesses. Lowered some taxes, abolished others, and gave credits to new businesses getting started. Now this bill would add an additional tax on top of old ones after just raising taxes on other various items in the previous bill. My point is that we will be chasing jobs out of our region and into places like the IDS.

And also the economy isn't exactly great at the moment, higher taxes like this and the previous bill can be paid for by big businesses, but the smaller local businesses that may be struggling already will suffer.

I honestly wouldn't be disappointed if we chased prositution jobs out of the region. Tongue

That said, if you have specific tax cut proposals, you are welcome to introduce them.

I agree, prostitution should be no vice for anyone who wants employment.   Want to ban it?

I don't think banning it is quite the way I'd go about it because I don't believe that prostitutes should be criminalized for being (typically) victims of circumstances. I can present a comprehensive proposal based on what I think if you'd like.

Plus, a ban probably wouldn't make it through the legislature.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2011, 12:46:52 PM »

Taxation of Prostitution Act: Aye
Amendment to the Public Funding of Abortion Act: Aye
Partial-Birth Abortion Ban Act: Aye
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2011, 03:03:47 PM »

Sigh. At least one of my bills got an aye vote in the Assembly...
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2011, 03:08:50 PM »

btw, can the Lt. Gov vote in the Assembly?
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2011, 01:18:35 AM »

I just can't see any sin taxes getting through the Assembly.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2011, 01:38:20 AM »

It is a crime that mothers should be forced into slavery like this. The only responsible option is to allow a safe abortion of the..well, lets say parasite because they cannot survive off on their own yet, up until the 55th trimester.

We cannot in good conscience allow these parasites to keep these women from going to school and living out all of their lives dreams. There even a few cases when these parasites go crazy and threaten the life of the mother. Only a heartless person would vote against The Happy Fun Progressive Act.

Can we just legalize murder and get it over with? Tongue
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2011, 01:50:56 AM »

It is a crime that mothers should be forced into slavery like this. The only responsible option is to allow a safe abortion of the..well, lets say parasite because they cannot survive off on their own yet, up until the 55th trimester.

We cannot in good conscience allow these parasites to keep these women from going to school and living out all of their lives dreams. There even a few cases when these parasites go crazy and threaten the life of the mother. Only a heartless person would vote against The Happy Fun Progressive Act.

Can we just legalize murder and get it over with? Tongue
How dare you sire, murder is a disgusting and barbaric thing. Angry This however is very much  different because they are small and defenseless and cannot survive off on their own yet, so these parasites clearly deserve no rights.

What about rich people? Aren't they parasites who leech off of the poor? Heck, poor people are parasites too, leeching off society and the government. They also probably can't defend themselves very well. I vote we kill them off so to speed up gentrification. I like my inner cities, but not my inner cities.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2011, 01:52:57 AM »

I'd need to read up on the relevent current statute before I made any determination on that.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2011, 01:59:53 AM »

I'll be supporting this (as long as you take my share). Smiley
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2011, 02:03:21 AM »

What about rich people? Aren't they parasites who leech off of the poor?

How so? unless we are talking about the Ancien Regime in France or something like that.

They extract their suplus value. Duh.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2011, 02:06:29 AM »

I just intentionally conflated progressives with Marxian theory. I feel so dirty right now.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2011, 02:08:15 AM »

Which brings me back to, why are we raising taxes in economic bad times? On top of the monstrosity in the senate right now we would have to change the title to "Chase those Bourgeoisie pigs and the business to Switzerland! Act"

Maybe, but it's either that or cutting goodies like transportation and local health care subsidies. And average CEO profits have risen from 70 times the minimum wage to 800 in the last 30 years, so maybe....

Or we could just run a deficit. I think that's allowed.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies