Third Parties and Political Experience
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:10:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Third Parties and Political Experience
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Third Parties and Political Experience  (Read 1175 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 07, 2011, 09:33:54 PM »

Why do so many third parties nominate people without political experience?

Constitution: I think they nominate bishops most of the time...

Reform: Possibly their most politically experienced candidate was Pat Buchanan in 2000 because of his work in three presidential administrations. Other than that, not much. I think they nominated a former state party chairman in 2008.

Libertarian: I can name three years where the ticket had a politically experienced person at the top: 1988, 1992, 2008. For a third party, that's more impressive than most

American Independent, American: 1968 and 1972. That's pretty much it.

Progressive: In 1912, 1924, and 1948 they had nominees with political experience.

Green: Depending on which Green Party, you got Ralph Nader. On the other hand, in 2008  on a different ticket, former Congresswoman Cynthia McKinney was nominated.

I know there are other 3rd Parties, but those are the ones off the top of my head.

Question is: Can't they find a credible 3rd Party candidate with political experience? Lately it's been mostly Congressmen. I don't know if there's any answer to this aside from the fact that people aren't willing to run, however, I thought I'd bring it up.

(This might have to be moved to Presidential Election Results or something)
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 10:06:34 PM »

Not many people who actually get elected to high office want to be remembered as that crank who got .5% of the vote.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 12:34:01 AM »

Because it's very rare that somebody with a lofty title like Governor or Senator is going to flush his political career down as an also-ran.
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 06:14:52 AM »
« Edited: January 08, 2011, 06:26:55 AM by Redalgo »

The electoral system is arranged in such a way that it encourages people to work within either the Democratic or Republican Party instead of whichever party's platform best aligns with a given candidate's convictions. I could be mistaken, but it seems like those who run for minor parties have a more idealistic set of goals and ambitions relative to those who eventually join or get co-opted by a major party. Given how hard it is for minor party candidates to win elections and how much it can cost Republicans or Democrats to lose even a small sliver of voters to a long-shot challenger, they may often find it advantageous to forge mutually-beneficial rather than strictly competitive relationships. The long-shot is suddenly more viable - experienced or not - and the major parties benefit from bringing more people into their already large tents. Or something like that I suppose.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 09:42:14 AM »

Not many people who actually get elected to high office want to be remembered as that crank who got .5% of the vote.

Because it's very rare that somebody with a lofty title like Governor or Senator is going to flush his political career down as an also-ran.

What about former Governors, Senators, or Congressman, such as Ron Paul in 1988, Dick Lamm in 1996, Cynthia McKinney in 2008? Why are cooks who were elected to Congressional districts in past years hard to find?

I guess I'm just really perplexed by the idea of a 3rd Party nominating a pastor (Chuck Baldwin) or an economist as opposed to someone with actual experience.

Why hasn't Jesse Ventura run for anything higher than Governor? He could act as a potential spoiler, plus he hates both parties.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 09:23:42 PM »

What about former Governors, Senators, or Congressman, such as Ron Paul in 1988, Dick Lamm in 1996, Cynthia McKinney in 2008? Why are cooks who were elected to Congressional districts in past years hard to find?

I guess I'm just really perplexed by the idea of a 3rd Party nominating a pastor (Chuck Baldwin) or an economist as opposed to someone with actual experience.

Why hasn't Jesse Ventura run for anything higher than Governor? He could act as a potential spoiler, plus he hates both parties.

All of those people are regarded as nuts.

(Well, I'm quite fond of Paul personally, but.. yeah.)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 09:06:58 PM »

I'm kind of asking: why aren't there more nuts? Why can't the Greens have Kucinich run? Why won't (or maybe he will) Tom Tancredo run on the Constitution Party ticket? I jus tlike elections to be more interesting with 3rd -party candidates who have actual experience.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 08:41:15 PM »

I'm kind of asking: why aren't there more nuts? Why can't the Greens have Kucinich run? Why won't (or maybe he will) Tom Tancredo run on the Constitution Party ticket? I jus tlike elections to be more interesting with 3rd -party candidates who have actual experience.
Because people want to win.  If Presidential elections were IRV you could have your wish because voters would not fear throwing away their vote.
Kushahontas
floating_to_sea
Kenya

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 06:34:15 PM »

and this reason, not lack of electoral success, is why I am so hesitant to vote third party (and don't do it as much as I should)
Mr. Taft Republican
Taft4Prez
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 10:23:36 PM »

Progressive: In 1912, 1924, and 1948 they had nominees with political experience.
I didn't know they nominated anyone in any other elections. I don't think they're around anymore.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 11:40:45 PM »

I didn't know they nominated anyone in any other elections. I don't think they're around anymore.

I know. I was just pointing out 3rd party tickets with political experience.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 01:43:10 PM »

All three were essentially different parties with the same name.  In the era that they were around, they were created in an attempt to get around the insider-dominated nominating conventions of the two major parties by those who felt they hadn't had a fair chance at the nomination.  With the nominees determined for better or worse by the primary process these days, a party like those is unlikely to crop up.  Imagine if you would, that in 1980 Carter had been able to control the Democratic Convention like Taft had done the Republican Convention in 1912.  I could easily see Teddy Kennedy under those circumstances walking out and running as a third party candidate.  (Or conversely, Reagan doing the same in 1976 if Ford had been able to block Reagan supporters from the convention.)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies