SENATE BILL: De-Registration Act (Vetoed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:37:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: De-Registration Act (Vetoed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: De-Registration Act (Vetoed)  (Read 5168 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2011, 07:48:30 PM »

There's a reason why you can't deregister right now. But, meh. I suppose it makes sense to hit reboot every now and again. Keeps the game if not actually moving, then at least doing a decent imitation of it.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2011, 05:07:38 AM »

I can see putting those issues into their own bill just to be safe.  But I don't see the problem with allowing members to re-register after a waiting period.  If the new account is approved by the site administrator, then I don't think we should be legislating otherwise in Atlasia.

Of course random new accounts should be discouraged... and I think having a waiting period is discouragement enough.

I understand your points, but I still have a concern. Couldn't this bill conflict with the CCJA ? I mean, what we really need is a general clarification of the legislation regarding new account. While the provisions of your bills may solve some problem, they may also further complicate the interpretation of the law. I don't know exactly how the CCJA works, but can we allow something that the CCJA expressly ban without amending it ? This is why I think we need another bill.

And yeah, "emotionless" is probably the right word. Wink Sorry if I sounded rude but that wasn't my purpose at all.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2011, 08:38:43 AM »

I)  Any person who has deregistered shall not be allowed to register again in Atlasia for fifteen (15) days following his/her deregistration.

Nope, I support the 60 days period.

And sections III) and IV) are not directly related to de-registration and thus don't have their place on this bill.

60 days is too long IMHO. Too great a chance of someone not re-joining Atlasia as soon as they cool down which, in the long run, is the best thing.

The no-re-register period should be just long enough to keep people from giving the RG annoying busywork through frivilous constant registering and re-registering. Anything longer then that smacks of an unnecessary--dare I say even a bit vindictive sounding---a punishment.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2011, 12:27:00 PM »

I think 15 days is far too short a period. It could be a strong encouragement for childish attitudes that, without making the RG's life a hell, would uselessly bother him.

If you want to leave Atlasia, you have to leave it for real. Not make a 15 days break and then come back as if it was something normal. That's not the purpose of deregistration, IMO at least.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2011, 02:23:52 AM »

I think 15 days is far too short a period. It could be a strong encouragement for childish attitudes that, without making the RG's life a hell, would uselessly bother him.

I dunno. What does the RG say about all this? He's the guy who ought to be front and center in the debate over what he thinks will work.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2011, 08:02:13 AM »

Badger, why doesn't Section 2 assuage your concerns? Hopefully by providing those seven days between de-registration's announcement and implementation cooler heads can prevail. But I'm not sure that it's inappropriate to ask that if you do go through with de-registration then you miss the next election, which is accomplished by the 60 days.

Does any senator think it would be beneficial to include a provision saying that any voter that re-registers returns as though they returned the day they left (something about their status remaining unchanged)? This is especially important for legal issues. For example, if I was convicted of a crime, my sentence is suspended when I de-register and continues when I re-register. If I committed a crime, I can't de-register to run out the clock on the statute of limitations, then re-register and avoid legal action. Or am I always just too cynical? Tongue
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2011, 08:17:33 AM »

I agree with Purple State's remarks. Maybe we should add a provision to state that re-registering members are still bound to the punishments they were sentenced to before deregistering.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2011, 02:25:50 PM »

I agree with Purple State's remarks. Maybe we should add a provision to state that re-registering members are still bound to the punishments they were sentenced to before deregistering.

I totally agree with this, I think it is totally necessary to avoid loopholes.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2011, 04:56:44 AM »

I'd like to offer this Amendment as friendly :

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2011, 06:00:32 AM »

Senator Lief, what do you think of my Amendment ?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2011, 01:16:16 PM »

I accept it.

What is the current law for people who are sentenced to punishments and then don't vote three times and de-register? Does their punishment carry over if they register again as well?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2011, 01:19:02 PM »

Badger, why doesn't Section 2 assuage your concerns? Hopefully by providing those seven days between de-registration's announcement and implementation cooler heads can prevail. But I'm not sure that it's inappropriate to ask that if you do go through with de-registration then you miss the next election, which is accomplished by the 60 days.

Just my two cents since you asked:

I'd like to leave every possible door open to people rejoining Atlasia while simply keeping the RG from having to juggle too many hasty changes. Whatever works for Hans is of primary importance. Beyond that, I just feel that even with the initial 7 day cooling off period the 60 day ban on re-registering is unnecessarily long. I'll defer to Hans here, but is 2 months really necessary to avoid overloading him with work? IMHO a week or two should be sufficient to keep things manageable. Sixty days seems less necessary for smooth functioning of the RG's office and more punitive towards people that dare leave our game.

Even if that's not the intent, it certainly discourages resuming activity in Atlasia to an unnecessary degree.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2011, 04:14:28 PM »

I am wary to call this to a vote yet.  I therefore would motion to continue debate for a further 72 hours.  Will somebody please 2nd my motion?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2011, 04:38:23 PM »

I second the snowman's motion.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2011, 04:42:07 PM »

Well, I don't really see what is left to argue. If any Senator had a concern to raise, they could already have done.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2011, 04:45:44 PM »

Just my two cents since you asked:

I'd like to leave every possible door open to people rejoining Atlasia while simply keeping the RG from having to juggle too many hasty changes. Whatever works for Hans is of primary importance. Beyond that, I just feel that even with the initial 7 day cooling off period the 60 day ban on re-registering is unnecessarily long. I'll defer to Hans here, but is 2 months really necessary to avoid overloading him with work? IMHO a week or two should be sufficient to keep things manageable. Sixty days seems less necessary for smooth functioning of the RG's office and more punitive towards people that dare leave our game.

Even if that's not the intent, it certainly discourages resuming activity in Atlasia to an unnecessary degree.

That's a fair concern. It is a tough balance that I think this resolution strikes as well as it can be struck, but you are right that the nature of this game makes it difficult to create winners without creating some losers.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2011, 04:49:45 PM »

Just so no one is surprised by it, I will definately be voting no on this. I am not a supporter of the "deregistration movement", I think that even with the safeguard against legal mess in this bill, it is still a bad idea to have de-registration in place.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2011, 06:13:29 PM »

I'm calling a vote for cloture on this bill.

Senators, please vote aye, nay, or abstain.

Remember, this is for cloture.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2011, 06:14:10 PM »

Aye
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2011, 07:38:24 PM »

I am not sure of the exact text, but I don't think you need to do a cloture vote if 72 hours has passed and no debate has occured in 24 hours.

But what the heck.
Aye
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2011, 07:39:01 PM »

aye
HappyWarrior
hannibal