Postmodernism in History
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:02:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Postmodernism in History
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Postmodernism in History  (Read 583 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 11, 2011, 09:47:51 PM »
« edited: April 11, 2011, 10:13:46 PM by Comrade Sibboleth »

If we can't have serious discussions here, we can at least have deranged and flippant discussions about serious issues.

So.

Is (was? It's all very 1980s IMO) postmodernism (within the specific context of the historical profession) a valuable breakthrough in our understanding of the past (in that it dictates that we cannot understand the past), or vacuous bluster favoured by despicable posers and shrieking frauds?
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 10:10:32 PM »

Qualified yes.  It provided a powerful tool for showing the flaws with previous generations' research and, when used properly, can supplement older texts without destroying what made them valuable in the first place.  I'm thinking of Joan Scott, at the moment, especially her essay about E. P. Thompson.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 04:49:45 PM »

Qualified yes.  It provided a powerful tool for showing the flaws with previous generations' research and, when used properly, can supplement older texts without destroying what made them valuable in the first place.  I'm thinking of Joan Scott, at the moment, especially her essay about E. P. Thompson.

Most postmodernists would argue that when used for such purposes it is not being used properly.

I think you have a point though; personally I detest it, but it does mean that historians have had to think about the theoretical side of their work (and theory is unavoidable in an abstract discipline) in order to attack it which, in turn, generally leads to better work.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies