What will be the smallest congressional district by area after redistricting?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:24:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  What will be the smallest congressional district by area after redistricting?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What will be the smallest congressional district by area after redistricting?  (Read 4238 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 16, 2011, 12:59:51 PM »

Right now I believe it's Yvette Clarke's in NY-11. But obviously all NYC districts will have to grow in area. But I bet it'll still be the winner, I think the smallest one outside of NYC is Nancy Pelosi's and the NYC ones aren't going to grow that big. Might not be the same though.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 01:28:25 PM »

There's no chance at all that it's not a New York district; New York is rather more dense than San Francisco.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 04:55:22 PM »

Wikipedia may be assuming population equality among districts and list NY-15 and NY-16 as smaller than NY-11. I don't know if NY-11 has increased in population sufficiently since 2000 relative to those districts to be more densely populated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_congressional_districts_by_area

New York County has grown slightly faster than the Bronx or Kings County, so I would guess that whichever district includes Harlem will still be the smallest district. Everywhere NY-15 could expand is still densely populated.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 05:56:21 PM »

Right now I believe it's Yvette Clarke's in NY-11. But obviously all NYC districts will have to grow in area. But I bet it'll still be the winner, I think the smallest one outside of NYC is Nancy Pelosi's and the NYC ones aren't going to grow that big. Might not be the same though.

I don't see why NY-15 would grow significantly.

Nancy Pelosi's district is 114 square miles, although it'll probably still be the smallest outside of NYC.  Charlie Rangel's district is less than 10.3 square miles.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 06:13:36 PM »

I don't see why NY-15 would grow significantly.

Nancy Pelosi's district is 114 square miles, although it'll probably still be the smallest outside of NYC.  Charlie Rangel's district is less than 10.3 square miles.

Does that include Rikers Island and that odd section in Queens?

I'm sure the 15th is just going to be pushed South. They should probably move the 14th entirely into midtown Manhattan as well.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 10:08:17 PM »

Aye, especially if you just read the first line of the wikipedia article haha

One interesting thing about NY this election period is that Upstate prisons populations will be moved downstate: http://blogs.wsj.com/metropolis/2010/08/05/under-new-bill-nycs-convicts-wont-pad-upstate-districts/
Mr. Taft Republican
Taft4Prez
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 10:21:51 PM »

THe entire state of Rhode Island?
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 07:37:56 AM »

I think there's no question that it will be an NYC district. Even though all the NY districts will grow in size due to the loss of seats, there are so many that are so much smaller than those in any other state.

Outside of NYC, SF may no longer be the smallest. It will grow slightly in size due to population shifts in CA. The next smallest is IL-4 and it's just barely larger than CA-8. IL districts also have to grow, but if the current IL-4 is split into two separate Hispanic districts, the one on the SW side may pick up additional densely populated areas in Chicago, and be denser than the current IL-4. That may be enough to drop it under CA-8 in size.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies