MA: Freedom to Consume Alchol in Public Bill (Debating)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:06:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  MA: Freedom to Consume Alchol in Public Bill (Debating)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: MA: Freedom to Consume Alchol in Public Bill (Debating)  (Read 5110 times)
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 16, 2011, 09:34:04 PM »
« edited: January 20, 2011, 06:00:05 PM by Speaker of the Mideast Assembly A-Bob »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor- Governor tmth
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 09:36:04 PM »

You're fast! Tongue
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 09:42:35 PM »

I'm against this. I understand why people may think it's fine to consume alcohol when they aren't driving or anything, but these drunk people ARE going to effect others in mass transit and will not only discourage mass transit usage all around and specifically at night (which is something terrible to do for urban areas in bad parts of towns) but it is a safety hazards to those around those consuming, who just are minding their own business.

I understand how this would promote people to take the train or bus instead of driving, but even without this law they can still do that. Drinking in mass transit, encouraging drunks to use it, I'm against. I don't want this to hurt other people using mass transit. If everyone was responsible then ya sure, I'd support this, but the fact is there's dumb people out there.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 11:37:44 PM »

is this overturning an established Mideast law, or is this meant to prohibit any municipality from instituting such a law?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 11:50:06 PM »

Public consumption I might be able to be swayed to allow.  But no way will I ever vote for the allowance of public intoxication.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 12:10:27 AM »

Public consumption I might be able to be swayed to allow.  But no way will I ever vote for the allowance of public intoxication.
I'd be fine with an amendment being written on that.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 12:49:53 AM »

I'd still need some persuading.  Although I'm on the fence now.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 05:18:18 PM »

I would consider voting for the bill without the public intoxication portion...however I am still very concerned with the well being of others on the mass transit and if nobody can come up with a good persuasion why that will be safe, I will vote Nay.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 05:37:03 PM »

^^^^

I'm not sure if I will vote for the bill either way, but it needs changing. I'll even introduce an amended version now (which I think will be accepted as friendly):

RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 05:38:56 PM »

As you see I haven't changed anything else yet. It's the original bill, minus the intoxication Wink
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 05:46:43 PM »

Friendly.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 06:04:23 PM »

If nobody minds, I'll bring forward the amendment tomorrow since it's obvious everyone in the Assembly doesn't want the public intoxication wording in there and from there we can continue to discuss the bill.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 05:12:14 PM »

Agree 100%. In real world application, such laws are fundamentally necessary to protect the drunks as much as the people they harass.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 06:27:55 PM »

Voting is now open on the following amendment. Voting will last for 24 hour or until every Assemblymember has voted. Please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.

The bill shall now read the following:
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 06:29:09 PM »

Aye

(btw voting will probably close a little short of 24 hours tomorrow since I'll be gone for most the night and have a small window from like 3:30-4:15 to do many things)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2011, 08:35:06 PM »

Aye.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2011, 10:30:46 PM »

AYE
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2011, 05:59:49 PM »

Sorry to cut this short, but I warned ya Wink

The amendment has passed

Aye-3
Nay-0
Abstain-0

Not Voting- True Conservative (the author of the amendment Tongue), Junkie
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2011, 02:02:34 AM »

I'm still not convinced of why this is a good idea, and as of now, plan on voting NAY.  If anybody so chooses, I'm open to hearing why I should vote AYE.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2011, 02:55:43 PM »

Aye ftr Tongue
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2011, 10:32:48 AM »

I'm still not convinced of why this is a good idea, and as of now, plan on voting NAY.  If anybody so chooses, I'm open to hearing why I should vote AYE.

When homeless people drinks, they get arrested, and later released. This is a complete waste of our time and resources, as arresting them doesn't really solve the problem. Now, if that drunken man decided to enter a building, he'd still be arrested under this law. A man drinking is not a risk to the public, so I see no reason in making it illegal.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2011, 07:26:14 PM »

When homeless people drinks, they get arrested, and later released. This is a complete waste of our time and resources, as arresting them doesn't really solve the problem. Now, if that drunken man decided to enter a building, he'd still be arrested under this law. A man drinking is not a risk to the public, so I see no reason in making it illegal.

That is soooo dangerously untrue. If that were the case, everyone would be allowed to drink.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2011, 11:50:27 PM »

That is soooo dangerously untrue. If that were the case, everyone would be allowed to drink.

You are both pratially right: A person drinking too much is very much a risk to the public.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2011, 05:54:55 PM »

Coming from somebody who lives in a college town and sees this a lot... cops' priorities aren't to go bust people consuming publicly.  I'd say 80%+ of the time, you have to be doing something first before receiving a citation / getting arrested.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2011, 06:28:11 PM »

I'm still not convinced of why this is a good idea, and as of now, plan on voting NAY.  If anybody so chooses, I'm open to hearing why I should vote AYE.

You are both pratially right: A person drinking too much is very much a risk to the public.

The question, then, is: Where do we draw the line? Do we just ban people being drunk in public? How do we define that, then?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies