US House Redistricting: Connecticut
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:43:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  US House Redistricting: Connecticut
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: US House Redistricting: Connecticut  (Read 16013 times)
muon2
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2011, 12:39:19 AM »

So what would a fair court draw, that is the question. Then we can measure what they do draw against that. What really interests me is just hard it is for both sides of the ledger to agree on what is a fair map, even if presumably acting in good faith. That has been my experience on this very site in fact, which is kind of sobering. If we can't do it here, where can it be done?

I'll offer my fair solution, though I'm sure there will be objectors.

The goals for my fair map are as follows.
Maintain the core area of the current districts.
Have no more than one town split between any two districts.
Improve compactness in the boundary between CD 1 and 5.

The following map does the above, with shading to show the areas changed.
As drawn the maximum deviation is 49 persons, and exact equality would only require shifts within the existing split towns. The shift would allow the small tentacle of CD 3 in Southbury to be smoothed.

Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2011, 02:01:45 AM »

The fair map might be the one where a majority of seats were won by both parties. Wink
BigSkyBob

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2011, 12:41:22 PM »

I seem to remember "fairness" defined as "Since Republican candidates consistently win 40% of the total vote statewide, the map should create 3 Democratic and 2 Republican districts."

Wait! Silly me! Seems I recall only reading that concerning states with fewer Democrats!

Never mind.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2011, 03:19:27 PM »

I seem to remember "fairness" defined as "Since Republican candidates consistently win 40% of the total vote statewide, the map should create 3 Democratic and 2 Republican districts."

Wait! Silly me! Seems I recall only reading that concerning states with fewer Democrats!

Never mind.

The GOP has held 3 of the current 5 seats at various times during the past decade.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2011, 05:18:38 PM »
« Edited: December 23, 2011, 05:39:21 PM by No Good Napoleon »

Never mind.

Is that really going to be your assertion? Roll Eyes

The point of elections is to represent people, not political parties. Districts don't belong to parties and the maps shouldn't be drawn to do so.

The GOP had a majority of seats 40% of the time.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2011, 10:15:51 PM »
« Edited: December 23, 2011, 10:21:44 PM by Torie »

So what would a fair court draw, that is the question. Then we can measure what they do draw against that. What really interests me is just hard it is for both sides of the ledger to agree on what is a fair map, even if presumably acting in good faith. That has been my experience on this very site in fact, which is kind of sobering. If we can't do it here, where can it be done?

The following map does the above, with shading to show the areas changed.
As drawn the maximum deviation is 49 persons, and exact equality would only require shifts within the existing split towns. The shift would allow the small tentacle of CD 3 in Southbury to be smoothed.

I agree that you have the right approach, although existing lines to the extent a previous gerrymander should be ignored. You have one little spike there of CN-03 towards NE towards Hartford impinging a new county, that was there before, true. But it will need to be justified on its merits. A state court is not constrained by the "least change" rule of federal courts, when stepping in to draw a map a dysfunctional state legislature, or commission, could not draw. To me, shape and such are more important than avoiding one municipal split. As to counties in Connecticut, do they really matter?  Is there such a thing as county government?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2011, 10:24:42 PM »

Counties are meaningless.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2011, 04:02:54 AM »

I was under the impression that Fairfield County was somewhat meaningful, as that area is oriented more towards NYC than the rest of New England.  But yeah, in general counties don't matter in New England and most of them are just lines on a map now.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2011, 10:40:18 AM »

I agree that you have the right approach, although existing lines to the extent a previous gerrymander should be ignored. You have one little spike there of CN-03 towards NE towards Hartford impinging a new county, that was there before, true. But it will need to be justified on its merits. A state court is not constrained by the "least change" rule of federal courts, when stepping in to draw a map a dysfunctional state legislature, or commission, could not draw. To me, shape and such are more important than avoiding one municipal split. As to counties in Connecticut, do they really matter?  Is there such a thing as county government?

The projection to the NE from CD-3 makes more sense geographically than one to the NW. That runs along the I-91 corridor. In fact if the judges were less partisan, they would move Meriden into CD-3 and Naugatuck into CD-5. However, I was concerned that a panel of Dem judges might not want to take the two big Dem nodes of New Brittain and Meriden both out of CD-5. But I can draw it anyway, and here it is with a maximum deviation of 75 persons.

Indeed counties have no governmental purpose in Connecticut any more. They are used for some state judicial districts and electoral tabulation. If for some reason they were used for redistricting purposes, then a map that minimized county splits and preserved towns would look like the following. The maximum deviation is 0.3% and it would be easy to pick four towns to split to achieve exact equality.

krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2011, 02:14:32 PM »
« Edited: December 27, 2011, 03:37:57 PM by krazen1211 »

http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/6064fb4d133040ff9cd79e35ed888d78/CT--Connecticut-Redistricting/

Connecticut's State Supreme Court says it plans to appoint a special master to help settle the new boundaries for the state's five congressional districts.

GOP is very happy as it increases the chances of a GOP friendly congressional district.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2011, 02:37:14 AM »

Well, it, probably, depends on who that master will be. But (as was said many times) - Republicans can't get anything worse then they have, so - they can gamble freely.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2012, 07:18:41 PM »

http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/6064fb4d133040ff9cd79e35ed888d78/CT--Connecticut-Redistricting/

Connecticut's State Supreme Court says it plans to appoint a special master to help settle the new boundaries for the state's five congressional districts.

GOP is very happy as it increases the chances of a GOP friendly congressional district.

As it turns out, not so. Court instructs special master to preserve current districts.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2012, 07:59:31 PM »

As it turns out, not so. Court instructs special master to preserve current districts.

It's a Dem controlled court no?  Just why a state court would carry on with a gross gerrymander escapes me, absent partisan bias. That means the Dem gerry will carry on essentially forever basically, since the Pubs are unlikely to control the trifecta ever in Connecticut. Sad.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2012, 09:52:01 PM »

The existing map, which the Democratic map is based on, was a bipartisan agreement, not a Democratic gerrymander. It's almost impossible for one party to gerrymander Connecticut since a 2/3ds majority is required to pass a map. And it's not the Democrats' fault the Republicans are slipping in western Connecticut.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2012, 09:58:22 PM »

Also, Repubs twice had a majority of seats under that map in years only leaning GOP (2002 and 2004).
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2012, 11:39:30 PM »

The map will essentially be preserved, unfortunate for a Dem trifecta state and my home state alike.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2012, 11:43:12 PM »

The existing map, which the Democratic map is based on, was a bipartisan agreement, not a Democratic gerrymander. It's almost impossible for one party to gerrymander Connecticut since a 2/3ds majority is required to pass a map. And it's not the Democrats' fault the Republicans are slipping in western Connecticut.

I stand corrected. I think the existing map is ugly, and assumed it was a gerry. Apparently it was a bipartisan gerry. My bad. Sorry.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2012, 01:21:10 AM »

I stand corrected. I think the existing map is ugly, and assumed it was a gerry. Apparently it was a bipartisan gerry. My bad. Sorry.

Considering the current map ousted a D incumbent in 2002 when CT lost a seat and elected a Republican majority until a Democratic wave year what ever gave you the idea it was a Democratic gerrymander?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2012, 06:04:56 AM »

And I seem to recall the consensus that Dems sold out in that redistricting compromise.

The app still doesn't include partisan figures from the state, does it? I really need to test what cleaning up the fifth-to-first boundary actually does.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2012, 01:00:30 PM »

Don't think so, though you can easily calculate numbers with the info here.

I'd advise turning off county boundaries when drawing maps for New England states.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2012, 02:41:18 PM »

I was under the impression that Fairfield County was somewhat meaningful, as that area is oriented more towards NYC than the rest of New England.  But yeah, in general counties don't matter in New England and most of them are just lines on a map now.

Fairfield County is distinguished as being part of the NYC metro but as far as governance, nothing is there
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2012, 07:31:11 PM »
« Edited: January 13, 2012, 07:37:21 PM by JohnnyLongtorso »

The proposed map:

Edit: Minimal changes to the contentious districts: adds a bit more of Torrington to CT-05, adds more of Shelton to CT-04.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2012, 07:47:51 PM »

Is the horrible boundary between One and Five really necessary?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2012, 08:05:09 PM »

That is what happens with least change maps, where the prior map was itself a mess. I forget whether the prior map was a Dem gerry, or a compromise map, or whatever, but one thing it was, and is, not, is a good government map.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2012, 09:15:45 PM »

That is what happens with least change maps, where the prior map was itself a mess. I forget whether the prior map was a Dem gerry, or a compromise map, or whatever, but one thing it was, and is, not, is a good government map.

The 2001 map was a compromise map, though even then they changed as little as possible except for combining the 5th and 6th districts. They made the new 5th district as PVI-even as possible and pushed both incumbents into it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies