Texas House redistricting.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:11:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Texas House redistricting.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8]
Author Topic: Texas House redistricting.  (Read 6631 times)
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: October 22, 2021, 11:16:23 PM »

One feature of DRA is that it finds discontinuities. There are bunches of micro-precincts (as small as an acre). I wasn't always picking them up when assigning precincts to districts. A cool thing for whatever DRA uses for graphics is that it zooms and pans. So you have a full district which you have to guess where it is, and then you click on the next piece and it pans over and zooms in 100X to show this tiny spec of Texas. And then you have to zoom out 100X to find out where it is.

I had missed a lot of precincts along the Fort Worth-Arlington line, and discovered that the ISD and city boundaries are not the same. All of Lake Arlington is in the city of Arlington, and there is a large precinct that includes all of the lake plus about 2500 persons on the Arlington side of the lake. I had it assigned to a Fort Worth district so I had to do some rebalancing. I might repost the Tarrant map.

I'm going to try to get my map posted on the legislative redistricting site. They accept block assignment lists just like DRA does.

Maybe Abbott will veto the map passed by the legislature, LOL.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #176 on: October 26, 2021, 03:15:39 PM »

My map has been posted to the Legislative Redistricting Web Site alongside all inferior plans.

Texas Redistricting

Click on District Viewer Icon in Upper Left:

Select Plan Type: House

Select Plan Category: Submitted By Public (it is towards the bottom)

Select Plan: H2318

An unexpected feature of my plan is that I created 24 pairings, and 5 triples (along with 36 open seats).
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #177 on: October 26, 2021, 05:36:47 PM »

My map has been posted to the Legislative Redistricting Web Site alongside all inferior plans.

Texas Redistricting

An unexpected feature of my plan is that I created 24 pairings, and 5 triples (along with 36 open seats).
A worthy award for your hard work.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #178 on: October 26, 2021, 07:18:11 PM »

Texas Redistricting

A worthy award for your hard work.

I forgot to mention that if you click on the little box or the down arrow at the top of the map you will get a plan report. The CVAP numbers are there. I fail as a race identitarian.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #179 on: October 31, 2021, 10:48:56 PM »

Texas House 1960.

These are theoretical maps, that I might have drawn.

Representatives per district. If magnitude is two or more, one or more districts are apportioned to primary county (-ies) and one district is assigned to a floterial district.

Number of representatives:

Deviation (assuming perfect split).

I was exploring the historical application of the county-line rule in Texas.

Following Reynolds v Sims, House apportionment was challenged in Texas.

After the 1930 Census, the Texas Constitution was amended to limit apportionment to larger counties, those with 7 or more representatives. For these counties, they would only get one representative for every 100,000 persons. At the time, the quota was less than 50,000. By 1960 it was only 63,685.

The amendment had occurred at the first census that representation in which Bexar, Dallas, and Harris reached seven representatives and was clearly targeted at them. By 1960, larger counties were entitled to at least Harris (19), Dallas (14), Bexar (10), and Tarrant (8), a total of 51, but because of the amendment were limited to Harris (12), Dallas (9), Bexar (7), and Tarrant (7). This meant that 16 additional districts were created in the remainder of the state, underpopulated by between 15% and 20%.

A federal district court nullified the provision and ordered the legislature to be reapportioned on OMOV principles, which the Texas Constitution largely provided for. After the initial decision Harris, Dallas, Bexar, and Tarrant were apportioned their rightful representation (except in all cases, fractions were rounded down), and 16 districts were eliminated elsewhere in the state (115 districts were consolidated into 99).

But the legislature employed more floterial districts.

Unlike some states, Texas does not guarantee one representative for every county, and permitted adjacent counties to share a representative, so that for example if County A was entitled to 1.6 representatives, and County B was entitled to 1.4 representatives, County A was apportioned one representative, County B was entitled one representative, and collectively they were apportioned a third representative. It was a crude, but reasonably fair way to apportion fractional representatives.

In the above example, County A had 53% of the population of the floterial district, and thus effectively had 1.53 representatives, and was underrepresented by -4.2%. County B had 47% of the population and thus 1.47 representatives, and was overrepresented by +4.8%. Simple and fair.

But what if County C was entitled to 3.6 representatives, and County D was entitled to 0.4 representatives. County C would be apportioned 3 representatives, and the two counties collectively would be apportioned four representatives. But in this case, County C would have 90% of the population, and effectively 3.90 representatives, and was overrepresented by +8.3%. But beleaguered County D with only 10% of the population was only had 0.10 representatives and was underrepresented by -75%! Simply not fair!

The federal district court that had nullified the first provision then ruled that this use of floterial districts also violated equal protection, and ordered the legislature to fix it (they actually permitted the 1966 elections to be held using districts that they had ruled unconstitutional). The floterial districts were quite legitimate for apportionment purposes, but not so for electoral purposes.

The legislature fixed the problem in one of two ways.

In some cases, the legislature took an area in the larger county that included a population equal to the surplus population and attached it to the other county or counties in the floterial district. The main body of the larger county elected one or more representatives (traditionally, all representatives apportioned to a county were elected at large, by position).

In the first example above, an area of County A with a population equivalent to 0.6 representatives would be attached to an area of County B with a population equivalent to 0.4 representatives. The remainder of County A would elect a representative as would the remainder of County B.

In the second example above, an area of County C with a population equivalent to 0.6 representatives would be attached to County D and elect one representative. The remainder of County C would elect three representatives (at large).

This was the first time that a county had been divided for election of representatives (technically the second since when Harris had been apportioned 17 representatives, the county had been divided into three areas electing 7,6, and 6 representatives).

The second method was to place all counties in one district and elect all representatives at large. In the first example all voters in County A and County B would vote for three representatives. In the second example all voters in County C and County D would vote for all four representatives.

At this point (in 1967), Texas was largely in compliance with OMOV principles with respect to apportionment, except they were somewhat casual in equalizing population. Deviation ranged from -13.3% to 10.9, with a standard deviation of 5.56%. This is unacceptable based on 2020 standards, but those did exist in 1967. Any standard for equality is subjective, even if there is an objective measure ("objective" simply means a measure that anyone can make, so you are not dependent on the subjective judgment of the Russian or French judge.)

Anyhow, that was what led me to generate my map. In particular, I was checking whether it was necessary to recognize surpluses in larger counties in order to better balance populations. And it was.

For example, 99 of my districts, almost 2/3 had less than 2% deviation, and only 8 were greater than 5% deviation. The actual plan had 47 less than 2% deviation, just shy of 1/3, while 66% were greater than 5%. The actual deviation range 24.2%, versus 13.4% range.

DeviationActualAlternative
0-12559
1-22240
2-32120
3-4810
4-5813
5+668
ST. DEV.5.56%2.43%

The other part I found interesting was how the population distribution has changed since 1960. Harris (Houston) has increased, while Dallas has peaked and declined, reflecting its larger area available for development. Bexar (San Antonio) has held steady, and Tarrant (Fort Worth) has increased some. It is at least possible that Tarrant will some day surpass Dallas.

El Paso has declined a bit, while Jefferson (Beaumont/Port Arthur) and Nueces (Corpus Christi) have sharply declined. Travis (Austin) and Hidalgo (McAllen) have had significant growth.

Smaller counties such as Potter (Amarillo), Lubbock (Lubbock), Ector (Odessa), Midland (Midland), Tom Green (San Angelo), Taylor (Abilene) McLennan (Waco), Smith (Tyler), Grayson (Sherman/Dennison) and Gregg (Longview) have declined in share (which means they have failed to triple in population over the past 60 years).

The suburbs have exploded. In 1960, Fort Bend was the smaller county attached to Brazoria where the population was concentrated in the Lake Jackson area. Montgomery and Williamson needed multiple counties simply to get a single district. Collin and Rockwall were attached to Grayson, and were still a bit short of earning the second representative.

In 1960, Potter was 3.6 times as larger than Randall. In 2020, Randall has surpassed Potter as Amarillo has slid south of the county line.

Harris19.46619
Galveston2.1982
Total21.66322-1.5%
Dallas14.89915-0.7%
Bexar10.76010
Wilson0.2080
Total10.96711-0.3%
Tarrant8.4328
Johnson0.5440
Total8.9759-0.3%
El Paso4.9185-1.6%
Jefferson3.8473
Chambers0.1630
Total4.00940.2%
Nueces3.4693
Jim Wells0.5410
Total4.01040.3%
Travis3.3223
Fayette+0.5840
Total3.9064-2.4%
Hidalgo2.8332
Starr0.2680
Total3.10133.4%
Lubbock2.4472
Floyd+0.6110
Total3.05831.9%
Cameron2.3662
Willacy+0.6110
Total2.9763-0.8%
McLennan2.3502
Coryell+0.7180
Total3.06832.3%
Wichita1.9342-3.3%
Potter1.8101
Deaf Smith+0.2370
Total2.04622.3%
Taylor1.5831
Runnels+0.3490
Total1.9322-3.4%
Bell1.4731
Falls+0.5860
Total2.05923.0%
Ector1.4251
Winkler+0.6160
Total2.04122.1%
Smith1.3521
Gregg1.0871
Upshur+0.5590
Total2.9983-0.1%
Brazoria1.1931
Fort Bend+0.8240
Total2.01720.8%
Grayson1.1441
Collin+0.7380
Total1.8822-5.9%
Midland1.0601
Val Verde+0.8980
Total1.9582-2.1%
Webb1.01511.5%
Tom Green1.01211.2%
Orange0.9451-5.5%
Bowie0.9391-6.1%
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #180 on: November 03, 2021, 10:24:29 PM »

The Mexican American Legislative Caucus (MALC) has filed suit in state court challenging the House plan arguing that it violates the Texas Constitution, in particular by not forming two districts wholly in Cameron County (this is one of the reasons I drew my map).

MALC v Abbott

They are concerned that the Republicans might a flip a seat. The VRA may not be a useful tool for challenging a 78% HCVAP district.

The MALC plan proposed in the legislature is a hideous gerrymander and violated many of the rules they complain about.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #181 on: November 10, 2021, 09:21:57 PM »

Texas House 1970 LRB plan.

Representatives Per Apportionment Area

Deviation per representative.

This is of interest because it eventually established the 10% maximum deviation rule for legislative districts. In 1971, the legislature reapportioned for the first time since Reynolds v Sims. The legislature drew a map that was invalidated by the Texas Supreme Court in Smith v Craddick because it only vaguely followed the Texas Constitution.

Reapportionment was then turned over to the Legislative Redistricting Board. Texas still used multi-member districts in larger counties with the exception of Harris where they drew 23 single member districts. They did eliminate floterial districts, so districts were established in Potter(1), Lubbock(2), Ector(1), Wichita(1), Taylor(1), El Paso(4), Hidalgo(3), Cameron(1), Nueces(3), Bexar(11), Bell(1), Tarrant(9), Grayson(1), Smith(1), Jefferson(3), Harris(23*), Galveston(2), and Brazoria(1) and areas including a surplus population were attached to adjacent counties.

Dallas(18), McLennan(2), Travis(4), Denton(1), Gregg(1) were close to a whole number of districts and were treated as such.

El Paso(4), Hidalgo(3), Nueces(3), Bexar(11), Tarrant(9), Jefferson(3), Galveston(2), Dallas(18), McLennan(2), and Travis(4) were all constituted as multi-member districts elected by position (e.g. there were 18 countywide races in Dallas County). Only Harris(23*) was configured in single-member districts. These multi-member districts were overturned as a result of litigation, but have no importance to apportionment (except by 2021 the legislature has forgotten they are actually charged with apportionment).

There were four instances where the surplus of a county was divided:

Hidalgo: One surplus area was attached to the surplus area of Cameron; the other was attached to Willacy, Kenedy, and Kleberg.

Brazoria: One surplus area was attached to Fort Bend; the other was attached to Matagorda and Wharton.

Smith: One surplus area was attached to Upshur, Marion, Titus, and Cass; the other was attached to Henderson, Anderson, and Freestone.

Jefferson: One surplus area was attached to Hardin and Jasper; the other was attached to Orange.

These were of dubious constitutionality. If they corresponded to floterial districts, then Smith would have elected one representative, and voted in two floterial districts.

In addition, Red River County was divided. Bowie County was entitled to 0.908 representatives. In 1960, it had been given its own district based on an entitlement of 0.939. But by evolving standards a -9.2% deviation might have been regarded as too much.

Bowie's neighbors of Red River, Morris, and Cass were entitled to 0.192, 0.165, and 0.323 representatives, respectively. A combination of Bowie and Morris would have an entitlement of 1.073, or a +7.3%. This might have been accepted. However, when I attempted to draw a House map starting from such a district, I was not able to. Drawing House districts in East Texas is hard because the population of the individual counties is fairly large, so coming up with combinations of say three counties that have a population equal to 95% to 105% is difficult. And once you find one such combination, it may conflict with another combination. Or those two may interfere with the next and so on.

The district of Cherokee, Houston, Leon, and Limestone does not reflect a community of interest. It represents contiguous counties with a population approaching the quota.

Because many East Texas counties have odd shapes following rivers, the resulting maps look like gerrymanders.

So what the LRB did was to draw a district entitled to 2.051 representatives, and then divide Red River, attaching a portion to Bowie, so that one district had a deviation of +2.2% and the other of +2.9%.

Since that time, it has been observed that for a map to comply with equal protection, that a violation of the Texas Constitution might have to be made. I think perhaps that this has morphed into a belief that there must be one violation.

In the maps I have shown what I have referred to as apportionment areas, whole counties entitled to close to a whole number of representatives. It is an approach that I tend to follow in all redistricting efforts. It decomposes a complex problem into smaller problems. One could imagine that the drawing of districts within an apportionment area could be delegated to a local commission. If you followed along as I drew my 2020 map, you will see it was the method I used.

This map shows the actual district boundaries.

1971 LRB plan modified as a result of Graves v Barnes (PDF)

There are some other oddities. Bexar was entitled to 11.125, and under modern standards would have been apportioned 11 representatives with 1.1% deviation (about 800 persons in districts with 75,000 persons).

But instead six-counties from Hays to Frio were attached. By themselves, the six counties were entitled to 0.996 representatives, only 300 under the quota.

The legislature added an overly large portion of Bexar, such that the district ended up +4.6% deviation, while the Bexar deviation was reduced to 0.7%.

Harris was entitled to 23.336 representatives, Galveston to 2.275 representatives, and Chambers to 0.163. They were combined into an apportionment area entitled to 25.774. The deficit for the entire area of -0.226 was barely an improvement over the initial surplus of +0.336 for Harris alone.

As soon as the LRB issued their map, it was challenged (repeatedly) in federal court. After consolidation, a federal district court in Graves v Barnes ruled that single-member districts must be used in Dallas and Bexar counties. The legislature had drawn single-member districts in Harris County. In addition, the district court ruled that the state plan as a whole violated equal protection because of excessive deviation without justification.

Supreme Court Justice Powell stayed that portion of the district court decision, while permitting the division of Dallas and Bexar into single-member districts to proceed.

For the 1972 election, multi-member districts continued to be employed in El Paso(4), Lubbock(2), Tarrant(9), McLennan(2), Travis(4), Nueces(3), Hidalgo(2), Galveston(2), and Jefferson(3). They would be gone by 1976.

The SCOTUS in White v Regester reversed the district court's decision with respect to overall deviation, while affirming the portion of the decision with respect to single member districts in Dallas and Bexar counties. On remand, the court ordered all but two counties to be divided into single-member districts. The legislature in 1975 went ahead and divided all counties into single-member districts and it has been that way ever since.

But here we are more interested in the SCOTUS decision on overall deviation.

A careful observer will note that the deviation ranged from +5.8% (Harrison-Rusk) to -4.1% (Victoria-Calhoun) for an overall range of 9.9%. It is because of this occurrence that the overall range is used, rather than a +/- 5% deviation. The SCOTUS failed to apply any tests such as mean absolute deviation or standard deviation to determine whether a good faith effort for population equality was made. As a result, legislators have tended to push as many districts as possible to the extremes.

In the LRB plan, 75 districts were within 1% of the quota (assuming perfect division of counties), 125 were within 2%, and only 6 were more than 4%.

Justice Brennan in his dissent bitterly/presciently observed:

Quote from: Justice Brennan
... one can reasonably surmise that a line has been drawn at 10% -- deviations in excess of that amount are apparently acceptable only on a showing of justification by the State; deviations less than that amount require no justification whatsoever.

The following map could have been drawn (if the JRB rather than the LRB had drawn the map). Deviations range from -4.66% to 4.45%, with a total range of 9.11%. Moreover, the map is more compliant with the Texas Constitution, by eliminating the split surpluses in Smith, Jefferson, Brazoria. Like the LRB plan there would have been a violation related to Bowie County. What I have shown as a 2-seat district would have had to be split. If the Iowa rule had been used, then the division would occur in the most populous county which is Bowie.

The split might have been: Bowie 0.672, Cass 0.323; and Bowie 0.236, Red River 0.192, Franklin 0.071, Titus 0.224, Morris 0.165, and Camp 0.107. This division would permit Texarkana to fit in the first district. Also the population in Cass is somewhat concentrated towards the east (Atlanta and Queen City).

JRB plan. Magnitude. In districts entitled to more than one representative, an area entitled to N-1 representative would be drawn in the largest county, where the representatives would have been elected at large by position, with the exception of Harris, where 23 single-member districts would be drawn. After 1975, all such large counties would be drawn as single-member districts.

An area including the surplus population would be attached to the other counties in the apportionment area.

Deviation is calculated assuming perfect division of each apportionment area. This is for measuring quality of the apportionment.

I used the same method for recognizing surpluses as I did for the 2020 map:

(1) A surplus will be recognized if the absolute deviation for the apportionment area will be greater than 5%.
(2) A surplus between 0.250 and 0.750 will always be recognized;

Rule (2) only applies to larger counties (5 or more representative). For smaller counties, Rule (1) is triggered when they have surpluses in that mid-range.

Surpluses between 0.250 and 0.750 are closer to one-half (0.5) than they are to zero or one, and better fit the classic example of counties with surpluses around 0.5 (0.4 and 0.6) sharing a floterial district. Smaller or larger surpluses might not have been recognized prior to 1965 (Reynolds v. Sims). A county entitled to 1.2 or 1.8 representatives might have been apportioned 1 or 2 representatives with little concern about the deviation.

Based on these rules, surpluses were recognized for:

Bell 1.668 (2) -16.6%
Brazoria 1.451 (1) +45.1%
Cameron 1.880 (2) -6.0%
Ector 1.230 (1) +23.0%
Galveston 2.275 (2) +13.8%
Grayson 1.115 (1) +11.5%
Hidalgo 2.432 (2) +21.6%
Jefferson 3.279 (3) +9.3%
Lubbock 2.402 (2) +20.1%
Nueces 3.182 (3) +6.1%
Potter 1.213 (1) +21.3%
Smith 1.301 (1) +30.1%
Taylor 1.311 (1) +31.1%
Wichita 1.633 (2) -18.4%

Not only would these counties have localized deviations, collectively they would have lost 2.372 districts. This is likely a systemic problem. We would normally expect more counties entitled to around 1 representative than around 2 representatives, more around 2 than 3, and so on. Similarly there would be more counties entitled to one representative that would have a small surplus, than those that were almost entitled to two representatives and have a deficit. Bell, Cameron, and Wichita would be happy to simply be rounded up. All the others would feel cheated if rounded down.

Two large counties had their surplus recognized. Under modern standards, their error in representation would be distributed among all districts in the county. But this is a system error. There is no difference between denying representation on a consistent basis to all persons in Houston or Fort Worth, than if you overpopulated districts represented by Democrats, or racial minorities (or Anglos) or Republicans, or farmers. All are a systemic bias in violation of equal protection.

Harris 23.336 (23) +1.5%
Tarrant 9.596 (10) -4.0%

These larger counties were kept whole in my map. Bexar and El Paso did have surpluses recognized in the LRB plan. The collective surplus of 0.344 is relatively small.

Bexar 11.125 (11) +1.1%
Dallas 17.782 (18) -1.2%
El Paso 4.813 (5) -3.7%
McLennan 1.977 (2) -1.2%
Travis 3.959 (4) -1.0%

These counties were entitled to a single representative. Both the LRB and JRB added to small counties to Tom Green which brought the overall entitlement closer to the quota. This is entirely consistent with the Texas Constitution. No counties were divided.

The LRB added Zapata to Webb. The resulting surplus of +3.4% was slightly larger than the initial deficit. It might have been justified by the isolation of Zapata, but my map found a reasonable alternative.

The LRB plan did not give a district to Orange, but added a tiny area (3300) of Jefferson to Orange, thus splitting Jefferson's surplus. This may have been done to keep the overall deviation range within 10.0%. But as my map demonstrates the two large districts with deviations of 5.8% and 5.7% were not required.

Denton 1.013 (1) +1.3%
Gregg 1.017 (1) +1.7%
Orange 0.953 (1) -4.7%
Tom Green 0.952 (1) -4.8%
Webb 0.976 (1) -2.4%

More to come ...
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #182 on: November 11, 2021, 11:00:15 PM »

Though my map is more compliant with the Texas Constitution and has a smaller overall deviation range, it has somewhat fewer districts within 2% of the ideal, and a slightly larger standard deviation and mean absolute deviation than the LRB plan.

When I drew my plan I recognized that my west Texas districts would have to be overpopulated by around 2%. In drawing my initial map I had actually created a 151st district with a population of about half a district.

While it may seem simple thing to simply add 2% to every district it is not. Instead to add an average of 2%, you might have to add some with +4% deviation, while others with no deviation. Each district with less than +2% deviation forces the deviation of the remaining districts higher.

Unlike the LRB plan, I had not gone outside El Paso. El Paso is entitled to 4.813 representatives and was only 13,933 short of that needed to be entitled to 5 representatives. But this deficit spread over the 20 west Texas district would reduce their population by about 1% each.

So I drew a map, extending a district outside El Paso in the lightly populated Trans-Pecos. This permitted the Ector (Odessa) district to push northward, and permit rearrangement of the west Texas districts with smaller surpluses.

JRB 1970 Alternative with El Paso surplus recognized.

This map has a standard deviation of 1.55%, 71 districts have an absolute deviation less than 1%, 121 less than 2%, 5 greater than 4% and 11 greater than 3%.

26 districts were changed. Deviation decreased for 19, increased for 5, and were unchanged for 2.

The deviation ranges from 4.45% to -4.66% with an overall range of 9.11%.

It violates my presumptive rule for recognizing surpluses, but perhaps the rule is wrong.

Deviations appear to be a Gaussian distribution. If we want to be pretty sure that almost all districts will be within 5.0%, we want 3 standard deviations to be 5.0%, with an expectation that 0.2% of 150 districts (or 0.3 districts will be outside 5.0% deviation).

So the standard deviation should be 1.67% or less. If we do not recognize the El Paso surplus, then we are creating 5 districts with a deviation of -3.73%, which is greater than two standard deviations of 1.67%. We will hard pressed to not exceed an expectation of 4.4% districts (or 6.6 of 150) if we create 5 districts in one place.

So perhaps a better test would be that surpluses should be recognized if they substantially improve equality as measured by the standard deviation. In this case it has been demonstrated empirically.

We could simply have a contest to produce an apportionment plan that has the smallest standard deviation ("as near as may be" is the standard in the Texas Constitution). If there are multiple plans within (say 0.1%) then the legislature could choose which to adopt.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #183 on: November 16, 2021, 09:29:12 AM »

In 1975 the Legislature passed a new map following litigation that required single-member districts in all larger counties.

In 1971, the LRB had drawn single-member districts in Harris. A federal district court had ordered single-member districts in Dallas and Bexar, a decision which was affirmed by the SCOTUS in White v Regester On remand, the district court ordered single member districts in all counties but Hidalgo and Galveston.

The legislature drew single member districts in all counties, and that has been the practice ever since. Since the requirement for single-member districts in based on current conditions it is possible that it is not required in all counties (e.g. Montgomery or Hidalgo), though having multi-member districts in some places and not others might be an equal protection violation in itself. It is conceivable that Texas could use proportional representation for the larger counties. The Texas Constitution does not specify the manner of election, other than multi-county districts are single-member districts. Literally, the constitution does not even refer to a single county electing one or more representatives as a "district", bur rather simply representatives apportioned to the county.

In defining single member districts, the legislature changed some of the boundaries defined by the LRB. For example, the LRB had defined an area in the western part of Lubbock including the city of Lubbock as a 2-member district. The remainder of the county had been attached to Hale and Swisher counties.

The legislature drew two single-member districts in the city of Lubbock, and it was the surrounding more rural areas attached to Hale and Swisher counties.

The legislature made only one change to the counties electing representatives.

Jefferson was entitled to 3.279 representatives. The LRB drew a 3-member district along the Neches and Sabine rivers from Beaumont to Port Arthur (The population of the county is highly concentrated on the east edge). This district had about 90% of the county population.

20,000 persons in the rural western part of the county (most of the area but only 8% of the population) were attached to Hardin and Jasper counties in a single-member district.

And then 3,133 persons were attached to Orange County. This formed a tiny nubbin in the Mid-Cities. It was only 1.3% of the Jefferson population and only 4.2% of the district. If Orange County has been made its own district it would have a deviation of -4.7%.

The small addition was apparently to reduce this deviation so that the overall deviation range was less than 10%. This was to compensate for two districts with +5.8% and +5.7% deviation. The smallest district in the state had a deviation of -4.1%.

The legislature eliminated this small protrusion into Jefferson and drew three single-member districts along the eastern edge of the county. Orange was made its own district.

In White v Regester the SCOTUS ruled:

(1) 10.0% deviation is fine.
(2) The district court was correct to order single-member districts in Dallas and Bexar counties.
(3) The district court should look at the other large counties to determine whether they should also be divided into single-member districts.

On remand, the district court decided that the counties should be divided into single-member districts.

The legislature drew three single-member districts in Jefferson County, but made Orange County its own district, and increased the overall deviation range to 10.41%.

Had that been done in the first place, the SCOTUS might have decided differently.

These are the legislative-drawn apportionment regions for their 1965 map.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies