US House Redistricting: Oklahoma
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:04:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  US House Redistricting: Oklahoma
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: US House Redistricting: Oklahoma  (Read 17861 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2011, 12:17:36 PM »

What's the point of slicing off part of Oklahoma county then tacking on those rural counties to the east?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2011, 12:23:11 PM »

I think the point is to allow the election of two OKC Republicans, rather than either one or (unlikely) zero, but one OKC Democrat.
Dgov
United States

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2011, 02:00:51 PM »

What's the point of slicing off part of Oklahoma county then tacking on those rural counties to the east?

I don't know, but its certainly not for partisanship.  That part of OK county is actually more conservative than the rest of it (being fairly white suburbs).  Also remember that OKC stretches into Cleveland county, which is already in the 4th district, so its not a separate split of OKC.

Also those counties to the east aren't really rural as much as they are OKC suburbs.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2011, 02:42:12 PM »

The OKC metro doesn't really extend out far in that direction. The northern part of Pottawatomie could probably be considered OKC exurbs but in Seminole you got a bunch of rural towns in an county with less than 40 people per square mile.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2011, 01:15:28 AM »

There used to be a district that included Tinker, AFB, Fort Sill, and Altus AFB,which was long and narrow.  When there were 6 districts, one was in Okie C, one in Tulsa, one in the northeast, one in Little Dixie, one in the west and northern wheat-growing areas, and the military district.   The Little Dixie district had to keep expanding and was eliminated when the 6th seat was lost.

OK-2 was extended southward and shifted eastward so that the western, northern district (now OK-3) can come all the way to Tulsa.  It also takes Canadian and Altus.  OK-4 is the successor to the Tinker-Sill-Altus district, with some areas from Little Dixie like Ardmore and Duncan added.

Oklahoma County used to be chopped up a lot more.  You would still have to split it even if Pottatomie and Seminole were moved to OK-4.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2011, 11:42:09 PM »
« Edited: June 15, 2011, 01:39:13 AM by Confessions To An Early Summer Nightmare »

So as Lewis raised earlier, is it possible to draw an Obama district in Oklahoma?

Yes actually. This is 51.3% Obama:

Also 56.6% white VAP (17.3% black and 14.7% Hispanic.)

Actually assuming that Hispanic turnout in Oklahoma is really bad (which seems likely since it doesn't have much of an established Hispanic population like further west or in Texas), some number crunching shows that Obama probably got around 40% of the white vote in this district, which considering it's Oklahoma is fairly impressive. Oklahoma doesn't have any actual white liberal areas like Georgia, Texas, Louisiana and northern Florida do, but it does have some areas where white liberals are not all but nonexistant unlike Mississippi and Alabama for instance.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2011, 10:35:18 AM »

Norman isn't a white liberal area? Then how do we explain its voting patterns? (Also, quite a lot of minority-influence-but-white-majority Democratic areas in OKC, and quite a few democratic hillbillies left in the eastern part of the state.)

Of course, I already drew this monstrosity:

Heh, I managed to draw a 51.9% Obama district in Oklahoma. Zig-zags across the state and back taking in every remotely Democratic precinct.
Color by election is a wonderful tool:

53.4% Obama. 52.0% White.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2011, 11:18:09 AM »

Norman isn't a white liberal area? Then how do we explain its voting patterns?

78.9% white VAP, 53.3% McCain. Definitely not a white liberal area, just not as radically conservative as the rest of the state.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2011, 11:26:03 AM »

Well the dense part of Norman. It's surrounded by hyperrepublican OKC suburbia, wasn't sure about where the city limits fall. It's quite white, though.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2011, 09:59:22 PM »
« Edited: June 15, 2011, 10:05:10 PM by Confessions To An Early Summer Nightmare »

Oh the area around the University of Oklahoma! Yeah I guess that would apply, funny I missed it as it's my map above. But the rest of Norman is just standard Republican OKC suburbia, though the city limits are quite large area-wise, I bet most of those Republican areas have little to do with the actual university. It might be enough for a white liberal State House seat though.

Yep, I can draw a 57.7% Obama seat that's 76.9% white around the U of O. It's also possible to draw an only 51% McCain seat nearby, split it differently and you can get two white Obama seats.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2011, 01:02:47 AM »

BTW Lewis I'm guessing you aren't using the City/Town Lines checkbox. Not only does it give you the city borders it also points out universities apparently (never noticed that until now.)
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2011, 09:25:33 PM »

Wow, it never thought it was possible to draw an Obama district in Oklahoma. What cities are providing the bulk of that Obama vote? I guess that leaves Idaho as the only (not at-large) state where it is impossible to draw an Obama CD.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2011, 09:47:43 PM »

Wow, it never thought it was possible to draw an Obama district in Oklahoma. What cities are providing the bulk of that Obama vote? I guess that leaves Idaho as the only (not at-large) state where it is impossible to draw an Obama CD.

Those Obama districts are basically the black/Hispanic parts of Tulsa and Oklahoma City plus the University of Oklahoma environs in Norman.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2011, 10:03:54 PM »

Is it possible to draw an Obama seat in West Virginia? I doubt it is without splitting counties, and even with county splits it'd be tricky. Arkansas can't be done without county splits either, though you could with them (it'd be as ugly as this Oklahoma seat though.)

My district also went to Stillwater (Oklahoma State University), the black areas in Lawton, and a few odd black enclaves in some rural areas.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2011, 12:10:21 AM »

Arkansas isn't hard at all. Just put Jefferson, Pulaski, and some Delta Counties in 1 district. I posted a map earlier in that thread.
Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2011, 01:26:12 AM »

Arkansas isn't hard at all. Just put Jefferson, Pulaski, and some Delta Counties in 1 district. I posted a map earlier in that thread.

I went for the maximum Democratic pack while keeping counties whole.
Dgov
United States

« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2011, 03:02:18 AM »

Is it possible to draw an Obama seat in West Virginia? I doubt it is without splitting counties, and even with county splits it'd be tricky.

WV is not all that bad actually, most of the South-Central part of the State is 50/50 and the Republican lean comes from the parts on the edges of the state.  Obama only lost Kanawha county (Charleston) by about 400 votes, and that's 300,000 people right there, take in a couple of the neighboring counties that were also about 50/50 and you probably can draw an Obama district that looks relatively compact.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2011, 04:25:17 AM »

Those Obama districts are basically the black/Hispanic parts of Tulsa and Oklahoma City plus the University of Oklahoma environs in Norman.
With of course the caveat that the Dem vote (and the minority population) is far more dispersed in OKC than in Tulsa, whose north side is a ghetto; and the further caveat that you need some more population. Red went to Lawton, I went to 50-50ish rural areas with quite a sizable native presence in the east part of the state (and to Okemah and Muskogee).
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2021, 11:50:21 AM »

The DEM proposed OKC seat is Safe R in 2022. Doesn't matter of course, gotta crack.
Stuart98
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -5.83

« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2021, 12:15:08 AM »

Wrong Oklahoma thread.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies