US House Redistricting: Oklahoma (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:12:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  US House Redistricting: Oklahoma (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: US House Redistricting: Oklahoma  (Read 18010 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« on: February 09, 2011, 04:58:06 AM »

I combined the earlier idea about drawing donut districts for the lols with Okusa's question about drawing an Obama district in OKC.
I haven't actually done the math on the yellow district, mind, and the app doesn't include partisan data for Oklahoma.

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 08:01:35 AM »

The Green lines are change on 2000, or what?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 12:23:11 PM »

I think the point is to allow the election of two OKC Republicans, rather than either one or (unlikely) zero, but one OKC Democrat.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 10:35:18 AM »

Norman isn't a white liberal area? Then how do we explain its voting patterns? (Also, quite a lot of minority-influence-but-white-majority Democratic areas in OKC, and quite a few democratic hillbillies left in the eastern part of the state.)

Of course, I already drew this monstrosity:

Heh, I managed to draw a 51.9% Obama district in Oklahoma. Zig-zags across the state and back taking in every remotely Democratic precinct.
Color by election is a wonderful tool:

53.4% Obama. 52.0% White.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 11:26:03 AM »

Well the dense part of Norman. It's surrounded by hyperrepublican OKC suburbia, wasn't sure about where the city limits fall. It's quite white, though.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 04:25:17 AM »

Wow, it never thought it was possible to draw an Obama district in Oklahoma. What cities are providing the bulk of that Obama vote? I guess that leaves Idaho as the only (not at-large) state where it is impossible to draw an Obama CD.

Those Obama districts are basically the black/Hispanic parts of Tulsa and Oklahoma City plus the University of Oklahoma environs in Norman.
With of course the caveat that the Dem vote (and the minority population) is far more dispersed in OKC than in Tulsa, whose north side is a ghetto; and the further caveat that you need some more population. Red went to Lawton, I went to 50-50ish rural areas with quite a sizable native presence in the east part of the state (and to Okemah and Muskogee).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies