NC-PPP: McCrory (R) leads Gov. Perdue (D) by 7
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:20:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  2012 Gubernatorial Election Polls
  NC-PPP: McCrory (R) leads Gov. Perdue (D) by 7
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: NC-PPP: McCrory (R) leads Gov. Perdue (D) by 7  (Read 5142 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 29, 2011, 01:38:52 AM »

Pat McCrory.................................................... 47%
Bev Perdue..................................................... 40%

Do you approve or disapprove of Governor Bev Perdue’s job performance?

Approve................. 33%
Disapprove............ 46%

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/PPP_Release_NC_0126513.pdf
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 06:01:40 AM »

Shame it wasn't that way in 2008.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 07:05:31 AM »

It was this way in 2008. McCrory was leading in polls one week before the election.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 01:41:00 PM »

It was this way in 2008. McCrory was leading in polls one week before the election.

Except, in 2008, he didn't have the advantage of Perdue's -13 net approval rating.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 06:55:55 PM »

Except, in 2008, he didn't have the advantage of Perdue's -13 net approval rating.

but sometimes incumbency helps. I was expecting her to be trailing by 10-15%. she has one year and a half to rebound, and with that approvals I think 7 points isn't that terrible.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 07:19:54 PM »

but sometimes incumbency helps. I was expecting her to be trailing by 10-15%. she has one year and a half to rebound, and with that approvals I think 7 points isn't that terrible.

Just take a look at Deval Patrick. I know it's Massachusetts, but still.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 07:20:27 PM »

Perdue is an accidental Governor but we saw what happened with Gregoire. That being said, NC isn't as Democratic as WA. I actually expect Malloy to end up in a similar position.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 03:45:30 PM »

Obama isn't gonna will MT, MO, and NC so the Dems are disadvantaged in thie governor and senate races.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 05:10:49 PM »

Obama isn't gonna will MT, MO, and NC so the Dems are disadvantaged in thie governor and senate races.

Not exactly. Its a negative but not a severe disadvantage. Hunt and Easily won four elections, each saw Republicans win the state for President up ballot.

Montana is an open seat, so the Republicans have a slight advantage but they did loose the Governorship in 2004 when Bush was winning the state by 20 pts. I think these races will turn more on local issues and political divides then the Presidential result.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 07:49:49 PM »

Not exactly. Its a negative but not a severe disadvantage. Hunt and Easily won four elections, each saw Republicans win the state for President up ballot.

Montana is an open seat, so the Republicans have a slight advantage but they did loose the Governorship in 2004 when Bush was winning the state by 20 pts. I think these races will turn more on local issues and political divides then the Presidential result.

Hunt and Easily were popular though. Perdue has never really been that popular, she won by Obama's cotails
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 07:57:52 PM »

Hunt and Easily were popular though. Perdue has never really been that popular, she won by Obama's cotails

That is why I am making the point to not attach to much relavance to the Presidential results. Perdue being unpopular is a local issue and would disconnect it from the Presidential results.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 02:22:35 PM »

perdue wrong governor wrong time.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 07:37:56 PM »

Two interesting things:

1. I heard an anecdote from someone who was at an event where Perdue was meeting with local officials and when Perdue was shaking her hand, she asked this person if she had a title, which she didn't, so Perdue responded, "So you are not important".

2. A local ABC news affiliate did an investigative story on how Perdue misused her office as State Senator in the 1990's  to ensure the promotion of two police officers, one of which recently resigned as head of the Highway Patrol after failing to turn around that organization. He had been appointed in 2009, by Perdue as its leader.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 01:09:12 PM »

Two interesting things:

1. I heard an anecdote from someone who was at an event where Perdue was meeting with local officials and when Perdue was shaking her hand, she asked this person if she had a title, which she didn't, so Perdue responded, "So you are not important".

FWIW that sounds like claptrap. I don't know your source here, Yank, and I don't really have great familiarity or interest in NC state politics (other than a general aversion to most southern Republicans and not wanting to see the CD's gerrymandered Tongue), but even if one dislikes Perdue its hard to imagine most politicians astute enough to be elected governor--particularly in a tough race like 08--to say something so mindblowingly offensive. Not to say it absolutely didn't happen, but that sounds more like a rumor/myth/exageration than an actual flub.

Disagreements in governance policies aside, does Perdue have a habit of regularly making foot in mouth statement like that?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2011, 03:07:41 PM »

McCrory isn't really a Southern Republican, though, is he?
They I've heard, Perdue is a shrill monster and McCrory is a pragmatic executive. He was Charlotte mayor, remember, so he's probably not anything like the stereotypical Southern Republican. Even if you like Perdue over him (I have no personal opinion on either until I read more), McCrory is probably the best Republican you'll get in a state like North Carolina.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2011, 03:10:43 PM »

McCrory would actually be competent.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2011, 07:13:33 PM »

McCrory isn't really a Southern Republican, though, is he?
They I've heard, Perdue is a shrill monster and McCrory is a pragmatic executive. He was Charlotte mayor, remember, so he's probably not anything like the stereotypical Southern Republican. Even if you like Perdue over him (I have no personal opinion on either until I read more), McCrory is probably the best Republican you'll get in a state like North Carolina.

He was born in Ohio. He never really mentioned any of the social issues in 2008 except for crime and illegal immigration (Both of which Perdue co-opted in the last two weeks of the campaign). His primary focus was jobs.

Two interesting things:

FWIW that sounds like claptrap. I don't know your source here, Yank, and I don't really have great familiarity or interest in NC state politics (other than a general aversion to most southern Republicans and not wanting to see the CD's gerrymandered Tongue), but even if one dislikes Perdue its hard to imagine most politicians astute enough to be elected governor--particularly in a tough race like 08--to say something so mindblowingly offensive. Not to say it absolutely didn't happen, but that sounds more like a rumor/myth/exageration than an actual flub.

Disagreements in governance policies aside, does Perdue have a habit of regularly making foot in mouth statement like that?

1. Who the hell said it was 2008?

2. I started off with the word, "anecdote". Meaning you should take it for what it is and nothing more. Perdue has a reputation of being an arrogant you know what and so and at the very least, for those who are familiar with her, it adequately depicts her even if it is not 100% accurate or taken out of context (most likely the latter). If I wanted to tell you this I could have, but then that would have deprieved of a chance to disagree and thus depriving the forum of me stating just how off base you are.

She is a walking gaffe machine, simply based on her lack of charisma and speaking style making her easily caricatured.

State of the state is tonight, so the shrillness is on display for a few hours. Trivia: First time a Governor has had a completely Republican legislature to deal with since 1870.

North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2011, 07:23:36 PM »

1. Cut the corporate tax rate
2. Cut regulations on business
3. Reduce spending

Standard operating procedure for struggling Democrats, pretend to be Republicans.

LOL, the picture just went black.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2011, 07:59:39 PM »

4. Temporary tax hikes will be allowed to expire
5. Cut state workforce but not teachers
6. Free Community College

And we have a 2.4 billion deficit. You try and make it ballance. Wink

Republican response from State Senate President, Phil Berger.
1. Make sure temporary tax hikes are temporary
2. Lift cap on Charter schools
3. Medical Malpractice reform.
4. More aggressive cuts
5. Laser focus on budget overall

These weren't in the response but Republicans will be pushing both a Voter ID and probably the marriage amendment as well. Also, redistricting will be on their agenda by default.

Republicans have a pretty strong hand with one house veto-proof, and the other just one seat short of veto-proof. 
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2011, 03:52:47 PM »

Perdue will not be vetoing the bill compelling NC To join the health care lawsuits, passed by the GOP controlled State Senate and House. She won't sign it either. 10 days after reaching her desk, the bill becomes law.
Capitan Zapp Brannigan
Addicted to Politics

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2011, 04:22:01 PM »

Perdue will not be vetoing the bill compelling NC To join the health care lawsuits, passed by the GOP controlled State Senate and House. She won't sign it either. 10 days after reaching her desk, the bill becomes law.
Because not taking a firm stance one way or another always works. That's why the Blue Dogs and Ben Nelson have done so well.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2011, 04:34:38 PM »

McCrory would actually be a competent executive who would employ a pragmatic approach to running NC like he did when he was mayor of Charlotte.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2011, 04:55:05 PM »

McCrory would actually be a competent executive who would employ a pragmatic approach to running NC like he did when he was mayor of Charlotte.

Shhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

The primary hasn't occured yet you know. Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2011, 10:55:28 PM »

New poll has Perdue's approval ratings as even between approve and disapprove.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2011, 01:14:07 AM »

New poll has Perdue's approval ratings as even between approve and disapprove.

Nope, it's 30% approve and 48% disapprove.

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/PPP_Release_NC_0225.pdf
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies