What if Roe is overturned.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:43:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What if Roe is overturned.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: What if Roe is overturned.  (Read 4640 times)
J.G.H.
Zeus
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2008, 09:56:41 PM »
« edited: April 01, 2008, 10:05:12 PM by M. Jackson »

There would be at least two states that would automatically ban abortions.  South Dakota passed a law that would make abortions illegal except for a woman's life exception (if I recall) immediately if Roe is overturned, which passed with little fanfare or objection.  I am almost completely sure Louisiana's Democrat legislature and governor passed a similar bill in the last few years.

It failed pretty badly, actually.

That's not what I'm talking about.  This seperate law, which was not referred to the voters, would apply only if Roe was overturned first. It was not itself seeking to overturn Roe. Which is why I said it passed with little fanfare or objection-- if it ever came to be in effect, the pro-choicers would have already lost and would have bigger problems to worry about, like larger states passing bans.

I'll try and find reference to it, along with Louisiana's.

Edit: Here is the Lousiana law, which indicates six other states have similar laws. South Dakota's is harder to find since nearly every reference to an abortion ban would be to the more well-known one.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2008, 10:33:00 PM »

Are you talking about Trigger-laws? North Dakota has one where there would be an emergency legistlature session. Only Louisanna has one that has a real ban attached to it with penalties. Still, this is what it would look like at the onset of Roe being reversed-

Red- States where overturning Roe will ban abortions
Green- States that will not be affected by Roe
Grey- States where there will be no laws immediately.

Though, Illinois.... that would be interesting.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2008, 10:55:26 PM »

As much as I hate Roe v. Wade and as much as I despise abortion, I think that overturning Roe v. Wade would create more disaster than its worth.  At least right now there is some safety regulation in the abortion "industry" for lack of a better word.  Without Roe, I fear that the number of abortions would not decrease significanly enough, if at all, but rather the number of unsafe abortion procedures would increase.  We are already killing an unborn baby, lets not endanger the mother's life, too, any more than what it already is when terminating a pregnancy.  I'm more concerned about the safety of the abortion procedure, because I realize that the number of abortions will not fluctuate significantly with or without Roe v. Wade.  So, the next best thing we can do is keep the safety procedures in place or even improve them.

To me, its a lot like prohibition.  Without prohibition, there is at least government intervention on drugs, alcohol, and tobacco usage.  With prohibition, the numbers of druggies, drunkards, or chimney's wouldn't diminish significantly, if at all, but they would just go behind the scenes and do it.

Note:  That is a slight change from my positions on the criminilazation of abortion.  I have backed down on that, somewhat, mainly due to my "Democratization".  I no longer call for the incarceration of abortion doctors and the women who have the procedure done.  I now just call for extensive and thorough counselling of the mothers before deciding to go through with the abortion.  They should not be punished even more than the decision they have to live with the rest of their lives.  To me, the grief would be punishment enough.  The doctors are an innocent third party.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2008, 11:45:23 PM »

Remember that South Dakota voted down the abortion ban in 2004.

I was going to bring that up. That's why I don't think SD would be one of the states to ban it.
Willy Woz
Yemen

Political Matrix
E: -8.71, S: -5.13

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2008, 10:03:28 AM »

Are you talking about Trigger-laws? North Dakota has one where there would be an emergency legistlature session. Only Louisanna has one that has a real ban attached to it with penalties. Still, this is what it would look like at the onset of Roe being reversed-

Red- States where overturning Roe will ban abortions
Green- States that will not be affected by Roe
Grey- States where there will be no laws immediately.

Though, Illinois.... that would be interesting.

What about Arkansas? That was the only state where a ban was approved by the popular vote. How could you not include Arkansas??
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2008, 10:54:02 AM »

Well, it wasn't shown as having a trigger law. The only state that has a trigger law ready to be enforced would be Louisanna. All the other states merely have an intention to ban the procedure. What I am more interested with is how this ruling would change opinions on the procedure, the political parties and other ideas.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies