Louisiana Attorney General switching parties
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:08:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Louisiana Attorney General switching parties
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Louisiana Attorney General switching parties  (Read 9199 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2011, 09:09:53 AM »

Of course not, but I hate the Southern Democratic brand more. I'd prefer the Democratic Party not rely on people that won't ever vote for its policies when it gets serious.

Despite they douchebaggery, Southern Democrats are still less bats**t insane than Southern Republicans.

QFT
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2011, 09:44:33 AM »

After the next congressional elections, the U.S. House delegation will most likely be 5 R's and 1 D.
Are you sure, does New Orleans have enough people to keep its own district or will it have to expand a ways deep into GOP territory?

VRA
it has to expand a ways deep into Baton Rouge.

Were you replying or elaborating? Tongue
Replying to jbrase.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2011, 11:27:36 PM »
« Edited: February 07, 2011, 11:42:08 AM by Brandon H »

To have a majority black district would have to be a strange gerrymander. The Louisiana Family Forum has released a possible map and it does indeed go from NO to BR. Also, since the DOJ needs to approve all districts because of the mentioned Voting Rights Act (that 6 of Louisiana's 7 Representatives supported) does anyone think our current AG would accept anything that does not include a majority black district, no matter how weird a gerrymander is required?

On the other hand, there was a racial gerrymander in the 1990's that the Supreme Court rejected. I've haven't read it very closely, but the result was the districts were redrawn.

---

I local radio station is discussing this now. He confirmed you need to include NO and BR in the same district to get 50+%.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2011, 02:05:59 PM »

There'd be nothing particularly strange about the district - it would certainly be above par as far as minority-majority districts go. The struck-down second Black district from the early 90s went from (not sure where it's southern end was actually... Donaldsonville?) to Shreveport.
Besides, with the loss of a seat, there'd have to be some strange compromise somewhere even without the VRA. The state happened to map well with seven districts - maps from back when it had eight looked worse.
Though it is a somewhat perverse consequence that the district that grew most healthily - the Baton Rouge district - is the one most likely to be effectively eliminated. And the white parts of EBR (not to mention Livingston) might not be too happy upended to Alexander's district.
rbt48

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2011, 05:05:33 PM »

Bubba Chaney switched to the GOP, District 19, Louisiana H of R.  Partisan balance is now 53-R, 47-D, 4-I, 1 vacant.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/article/20110208/UPDATES01/110208006
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2011, 09:49:39 PM »

I'm surprised there any Ds left to switch down anywhere in Old, Deep South. Leaving the dems to join the GOP. It sorta sounds like a typical lottery winner thing to do, doesn't it?
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2011, 09:55:57 PM »

Bubba Chaney is the best name ever.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2011, 02:46:34 PM »

I'm surprised there any Ds left to switch down anywhere in Old, Deep South. Leaving the dems to join the GOP. It sorta sounds like a typical lottery winner thing to do, doesn't it?

This is the fourth Louisiana State Representative to switch parties since November. They a) don't want to be in the minority when they've grown accustomed to the power, and b) don't want to be screwed over in redistricting (and plenty of legislators will be screwed; the huge post-Katrina population shift means basically the entire map will need to look different).
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2011, 02:30:33 PM »

I wonder why Jim Hood didn't also switch parties since Mississippi is turning Republican at least as surely as Louisiana is.  He can see which way the winds are blowing in his home state. 
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2011, 02:44:27 PM »

I wonder why Jim Hood didn't also switch parties since Mississippi is turning Republican at least as surely as Louisiana is.  He can see which way the winds are blowing in his home state.  

Maybe because he is a real Democrat? I don't know his ideology but I imagine there must be some white moderates and liberals in Mississippi.
rbt48

« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2011, 08:27:34 PM »

OT:
What is it that causes Landslide Lyndon, px75, to always be in a  "This user is currently ignored" status?
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2011, 09:32:07 PM »

OT:
What is it that causes Landslide Lyndon, px75, to always be in a  "This user is currently ignored" status?

Good sense.
Mexino Vote
OKUSA
United States

« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2011, 03:56:14 PM »

I wonder why Jim Hood didn't also switch parties since Mississippi is turning Republican at least as surely as Louisiana is.  He can see which way the winds are blowing in his home state.  

Maybe because he is a real Democrat? I don't know his ideology but I imagine there must be some white moderates and liberals in Mississippi.

It's Mississippi. Only liberals there are black.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2011, 04:48:25 PM »

This seems as good a place to stick this as any: another state legislator abandoned the sinking ship that is the Louisiana Democratic Party.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2011, 06:07:33 PM »

And there's still eight more days until the 2011 extraordinary session (for redistricting) convenes. 26 white Democrats in the LA House left, about half of whom are in marginal seats and/or are in a position to get screwed pretty badly by redistricting. I would not be surprised at all to see a few more party switchers in the next week.
Dgov
United States

« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2011, 08:01:26 PM »

And there's still eight more days until the 2011 extraordinary session (for redistricting) convenes. 26 white Democrats in the LA House left, about half of whom are in marginal seats and/or are in a position to get screwed pretty badly by redistricting. I would not be surprised at all to see a few more party switchers in the next week.

You'd think this would be a catastrophic event (i.e. a bunch right after each other) rather than staggered like this.  Either the LA Republican party is promising them sweet deals sequentially or each of these reps are waking up from 4-month comas in turn
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2011, 08:14:20 PM »

You'd think this would be a catastrophic event (i.e. a bunch right after each other) rather than staggered like this.  Either the LA Republican party is promising them sweet deals sequentially or each of these reps are waking up from 4-month comas in turn

Most likely, it is a little bit of both.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2011, 07:10:04 PM »

Another day, another defector, this time a State Senator.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2011, 08:40:26 PM »

Another State Senator changes parties. This guy was just elected in a 2009 special. Must be a protege of Rodney Alexander.
Mississippi Political Freak
ECPolitico
Rookie
United States

« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2011, 09:40:03 PM »
« Edited: March 22, 2011, 04:32:17 PM by Mississippi Political Freak »

He's actually from Houma, and has a heavily Cajun constituency.  From that article, the main reason behind the switch is his disagreements with Pres. Obama and the National Dems. on a couple of parochial issues, especially over oil drilling, an area where many coastal Louisianans are in favor of but national Dems cool with.  Also, the drilling moratorium is still in place; which seems to create a lot of backlash among Cajuns, and more or less leads to GOP's gain on Louisiana's SD's 22  and 26, and HD-46, which has pretty similar constituencies.

As for the Rodney Alexander protege, I would agree it this refers to he pace of party switching. However, State Sen. Chabert dosen't share any constituencies with Rep. Alexander in any way.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2011, 02:32:45 AM »

Hahaha, they just keep switching!

Whatever the excuses these guys are making to try to justify their sudden switches, do realize it's all opportunism. Yes, Sen. Chabert, maybe you do have problems with President Obama and other national Democrats' stance on offshore drilling and such, but how awfully convenient it is for you to make this realization, coincidentally just in time to stay in the majority and keep your underpopulated district intact!
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies