MA: Third Mideast Abortion Statute (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:19:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  MA: Third Mideast Abortion Statute (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MA: Third Mideast Abortion Statute (Failed)  (Read 4214 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 06, 2011, 04:20:21 AM »
« edited: February 10, 2011, 10:22:59 PM by Assemblyman & Queen Mum Inks.LWC »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Sponsor: Afleitch
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 03:56:37 PM »

Slight background for this.

The Third Statute was hotly contested at the time and was passed during a peak of moral posturing (at least the Right to Life Amendment was withdrawn). While I would be more than happy to return to the First Statute, this bill allows for abortions after the first trimester to the 180th day of pregnancy for reasons other than threat to life/rape etc. However unlike the First Statute it requried the consent of two physicians (a simplified version of the rules in Britain). I don't like such compromises usually but it may be the only way to relax our laws.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 04:10:06 PM »

The Third Statute was hotly contested at the time and was passed during a peak of moral posturing (at least the Right to Life Amendment was withdrawn). While I would be more than happy to return to the First Statute, this bill allows for abortions after the first trimester to the 180th day of pregnancy for reasons other than threat to life/rape etc. However unlike the First Statute it requried the consent of two physicians (a simplified version of the rules in Britain). I don't like such compromises usually but it may be the only way to relax our laws.

I oppose this bill, then. The biggest problem with the bill:

Suppose the patient goes to an abortion clinic. Both physicians will obviously say yes. This is, pretty much, allowing all abortions during the specified period.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 04:26:44 PM »

I oppose any changes that loosen the current law.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 04:27:17 PM »

Suppose the patient goes to an abortion clinic. Both physicians will obviously say yes. This is, pretty much, allowing all abortions during the specified period.

And the reason we politicians should overrule the consent of two licensed doctors and their willing patient is......?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 09:10:34 PM »

i find myself wondering: how does one know when it is the 180th day of pregnancy? for that matter, how is the end of a trimester determined with any precision?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 10:19:18 PM »

i find myself wondering: how does one know when it is the 180th day of pregnancy? for that matter, how is the end of a trimester determined with any precision?

They can trace back the approximate day of conception.  My guess is that Afleitch means that whatever day said physician approximated the day of conception to be, add to that 180 and eighty days, but Afleitch, correct me if I'm wrong.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 12:32:50 AM »

And the reason we politicians should overrule the consent of two licensed doctors and their willing patient is......?

the unwilling patient

RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 01:47:20 AM »

the unwilling patient

AMEN!
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 12:41:56 PM »

If there's no more debate on this in another 12 hours, this will be brought to a vote.
The Artist Formerly Known As and Now Again Known As Ogis
agooji

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 08:43:44 PM »

I support this measure. The current restrictions in place are far too stringent. We need to relax the government mandates and allow the right to choose.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 11:01:36 PM »

I support the current law as it is
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 12:48:18 AM »

The following bill is now brought to a vote.  This will be a 48 hour vote.

Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 12:49:00 AM »

NAY
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2011, 01:07:23 AM »

Nay
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2011, 04:45:12 AM »

Aye
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2011, 03:27:11 PM »

How about just going with this. No abortions after the first trimester except in cases of rape, incest or to save the life of the mother? Or even better, no abortions except in cases of rape, incest, or to save the life of the mother? What about promoting adoption?
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2011, 03:41:44 PM »

How about just going with this. No abortions after the first trimester except in cases of rape, incest or to save the life of the mother? Or even better, no abortions except in cases of rape, incest, or to save the life of the mother? What about promoting adoption?

That was passed once and the region struck it don
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2011, 04:41:55 PM »

That was passed once and the region struck it don

And would strike it down again.
The Artist Formerly Known As and Now Again Known As Ogis
agooji

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2011, 07:57:07 PM »

AYE
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2011, 11:11:17 AM »

Abstain

Almost all previous change to abortion legislation has been subject to a public vote, and I think that'd be the best way to deal with any amending of the current law as well. Alough I approve of the idea of representative democracy, abortion is quite a serious business to most people, and I quite honestly don't like the way every assembly seem to try to mix with it like some sort of favourite toy, when people have such clear oppinions on the subject. I'm sick of this issue never being resolved. I believe that any radical changes to our abortion policy must go through the voters as a whole not me.

afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2011, 11:27:44 AM »

I respect your decision. I note that the Second Statute passed the Assembly and went to then public after a protest. The public voted to re-affirm the Assembly's decision. This could have happened with this bill. The bill was a genuine attempt to pull back from one extreme and instead of moving to another extreme reach a fairer compromise.

Given the likely failure of the passage of this bill I will consider whether or not to seek the necessary signatures to force a public vote.

Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2011, 10:22:39 PM »

Voting has now ended.  The AYEs are 2, and the NAYs are 2, with one abstention.

Not having reached a majority, the bill has failed.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies