Indiana 2012 Congressional Races
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:12:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Indiana 2012 Congressional Races
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: Indiana 2012 Congressional Races  (Read 33249 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2011, 07:13:18 PM »

I wonder if Hill has his eyes on a statewide race later on. Like for Senate in 2016. Coats doesn't seem like someone that would get entrenched very much and might even retire at that point. It is also possible that Hill is done with politics, I guess.
Dgov
United States

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2011, 07:33:28 PM »

I wonder if Hill has his eyes on a statewide race later on. Like for Senate in 2016. Coats doesn't seem like someone that would get entrenched very much and might even retire at that point. It is also possible that Hill is done with politics, I guess.

Well, he's run tight races Literally for the last 5 elections, winning 3 and losing 2, so "Candidate Fatigue" might be setting in.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2011, 09:47:26 PM »

Well, he's run tight races Literally for the last 5 elections, winning 3 and losing 2, so "Candidate Fatigue" might be setting in.
He only lost once. Wink

I can't see Hill running - if he were to run, he would have ran in 2012, probably for Governor.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2011, 11:01:26 PM »

http://www.courierpress.com/news/2011/jul/17/missteps-may-imperil-mourdocks-bid/?partner=yahoo_feeds

A good article on the 2012 race, why Mourdock doesn't have as great of a chance as people think.

Worked the GOP stand at the county fair today, met some interesting folks. One kept talking on and on about communism, I thought I had entered a time machine. It's becoming clearer to me the less-educated folks around here are supported Mourdock while just about everyone else is supporting Lugar. Also found a Romney/Mourdock supporter, which literally caused me to LOL.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2011, 04:18:32 PM »

http://www.courierpress.com/news/2011/jul/17/missteps-may-imperil-mourdocks-bid/?partner=yahoo_feeds

A good article on the 2012 race, why Mourdock doesn't have as great of a chance as people think.

Worked the GOP stand at the county fair today, met some interesting folks. One kept talking on and on about communism, I thought I had entered a time machine. It's becoming clearer to me the less-educated folks around here are supported Mourdock while just about everyone else is supporting Lugar. Also found a Romney/Mourdock supporter, which literally caused me to LOL.

A Romney/Mourdock supporter..... That makes no sense. So says a Paul/undecided.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2011, 08:50:34 PM »

Actually it does make sense.

If you are a supporter of term limits and dispise long term incumbents. I remember talking with some big Romney fans back in 2008, who despised all long term incumbents. If you want enforcement first/only immigration policy since Romney did cater to them big time when trying to outflank McCain in 2006/2007 and Lugar supported McCain-Kennedy. If you opposed the treaty with Russia which Lugar was a supporter and Romney an opponent (Didn't Romney come out against it? I remember an email from his PAC saying why it was bad, but I could be wrong.). There are a few others, but right now I can't think of them.

Do note that the above views do not automatically reflect the views of the poster named NC Yankee, but rather represent a list of potential reasons why someone would be a Romney/Mourdock supporter. Tongue
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2011, 09:32:06 AM »

Jim DeMint is a Romney/Mourdock supporter, I think.
He supported Romney in 2008 (however, he won't support him this time), and will rpobbably support Mourdock in 2012 xD
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2011, 04:28:04 PM »

The Mourdock Facebook Page has pretty much turned into a hate-fest on Lugar, with both Mourdock and supporters participating in it. Here are some examples of what we're having to deal with:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

- Someone clearly hasn't done their research Wink

- Apparently I'm a RINO Tongue

Someone actually disagreed once with a Mourdock statement and was called a fool and an idiot.

All of these were just from the past few days. There are many more stashed away.

In closing, Richard Mourdock has also created a couple ad's, all of the recent ones attacking Lugar. Here is the most offensive and disgusting one (IMO):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWjnHUw-shE&feature=player_embedded
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2011, 08:51:36 PM »

Lol. Mourdock gets an A for creativity in that ad Cheesy
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2011, 09:47:55 PM »

Lugar needs to go down. He has been in Senate way to long, and Indiana needs a change with Mourdock.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2011, 10:03:44 PM »

Lugar needs to go down. He has been in Senate way to long, and Indiana needs a change with Mourdock.
Typical response I've been seeing. Who cares who is opponent is? Who cares if Mourdock has poor character and would be an uncompromisable Senator who'd bring absolutely nothing to the table? Let's just get that ole' fart out of there! I think it's telling of a person when they run a downright hateful, negative campaign from the very get-go. I can't even imagine how bad he and his supporters are going to get next Spring.

One thing I can already see - this campaign has already turned into a hatefest on Lugar, which seems to be what Mourdock wants. Mourdock Campaign Strategy: Get as many people as possible to completely despise Lugar in hope's they'll vote for whoever else is on the ballot.

My only wish is that Mourdock focuses his campaign on the issues and what he stands for, not everything he thinks Lugar has done wrong. I would have actually been somewhat tempted to vote for him if he had done that from the start.
I AM REPUBLICAN
NJGuy
Rookie

« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2011, 10:16:35 PM »

Typical response I've been seeing. Who cares who is opponent is? Who cares if Mourdock has poor character and would be an uncompromisable Senator who'd bring absolutely nothing to the table? Let's just get that ole' fart out of there! I think it's telling of a person when they run a downright hateful, negative campaign from the very get-go. I can't even imagine how bad he and his supporters are going to get next Spring.

One thing I can already see - this campaign has already turned into a hatefest on Lugar, which seems to be what Mourdock wants. Mourdock Campaign Strategy: Get as many people as possible to completely despise Lugar in hope's they'll vote for whoever else is on the ballot.

My only wish is that Mourdock focuses his campaign on the issues and what he stands for, not everything he thinks Lugar has done wrong. I would have actually been somewhat tempted to vote for him if he had done that from the start.

You're saying that you are not a Murdock supporter? (If I'm reading your post correctly). I think Lugar is a RINO and needs to go NOW. Check his ACU rating and I'm sure it will be terrible (under 80%). Go Mourdock!
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2011, 11:06:30 PM »

You're saying that you are not a Murdock supporter? (If I'm reading your post correctly). I think Lugar is a RINO and needs to go NOW. Check his ACU rating and I'm sure it will be terrible (under 80%). Go Mourdock!
That's exactly what I've been saying for months. Dick Lugar is not a liberal. He has a 71% rating from the ACU, and I believe voted with Reagan more than any other Senator in the 80's.

You probably know little about Mourdock, you just know you don't like Lugar. Further proving my point, and how Mourdock's strategy is (unfortunately) at least somewhat working.

I AM REPUBLICAN
NJGuy
Rookie

« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2011, 11:10:52 PM »

That's exactly what I've been saying for months. Dick Lugar is not a liberal. He has a 71% rating from the ACU, and I believe voted with Reagan more than any other Senator in the 80's.

You probably know little about Mourdock, you just know you don't like Lugar. Further proving my point, and how Mourdock's strategy is (unfortunately) at least somewhat working.

Well, you're from Indiana, and I guess you know who you're voting for and who's in the race. I just don't understand why anyone would want to vote for an old RINO like him, and he's been in the Senate for too long and it's time to go. I respect your support of Lugar, and he has done some good things in the past, but, it's time for him to go. I'm from NJ, and you're from his home state, so, your vote and support of Lugar makes my support of Mourdock not count. 
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2011, 11:15:16 PM »

Well, you're from Indiana, and I guess you know who you're voting for and who's in the race. I just don't understand why anyone would want to vote for an old RINO like him, and he's been in the Senate for too long and it's time to go. I respect your support of Lugar, and he has done some good things in the past, but, it's time for him to go. I'm from NJ, and you're from his home state, so, your vote and support of Lugar makes my support of Mourdock not count. 
I like Lugar a lot, but I was honestly hoping to see him retire. He didn't, and I think his opponent would do a much worse job in the Senate, which is why I'm supporting Lugar's reelection bid. If Stutzman had ran, I probably would have voted for him over Lugar. Same with Daniels or Skillman (though neither would ever challenge him). I'm not 100% impressed with Lugar's voting record, but I know that I probably wouldn't be 100% impressed with a Senator Mourdock voting record, either.

Hopefully Republicans will have a majority and the White House after 2012. I also have reason to believe this will be Lugar's last term, should he win in 2012.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2011, 11:37:46 PM »

So Lugar is a "RINO". Has he ever really cost the Republicans a vote on anything? What did he do that people want to get rid of him so badly for? Unless there's some glaring issue with him, why throw out a popular senator who could probably cruise to reelection for someone loud and controversial?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2011, 11:43:15 PM »

So Lugar is a "RINO". Has he ever really cost the Republicans a vote on anything? What did he do that people want to get rid of him so badly for? Unless there's some glaring issue with him, why throw out a popular senator who could probably cruise to reelection for someone loud and controversial?
There's this "purity test" I suppose you have to pass with flying colors. I'm sure the National GOP will want Lugar to win this; if Mourdock wins, they may have to put some money into the race. With Lugar it's a very safe seat. This situation is similar to Delaware, except Mourdock would actually have a good chance of winning in the general election.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2011, 12:20:53 AM »

tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2011, 02:54:46 PM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/11/richard-lugar-opponent-out-of-touch-economy-stocks_n_924091.html

I'd have to do some research, but it wouldn't make sense to me that "un-confirming" a nominee would be Constitutional. If that's correct, this is hilarious, considering Mourdock's been going around bragging how he'll be a strict follower of the Constitution. Can't wait to see how he spins this.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2011, 04:13:38 PM »

The could use the impeachment process.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2011, 04:45:30 PM »

http://www.kristiriskforcongress.com/index.htm

Kristi Risk has announced she'll be a candidate for the 8th Congressional District, seeking the Republican nomination. She will be challenging Congressman Larry Bucshon in the primary. Kristi narrowly lost to Larry Buchson in the 2010 primary.

I actually think Risk could actually win this - Buchson rode the wave, and because of that, he still has pretty low name recognition, and with Risk's aggressive 2010 campaign, she's probably nearly as well known in the district as he is. This will be a typical establishment vs. Tea Party battle. She's going after Buchson's vote on the debt ceiling, Afghan and Libyan wars, Patriot Act, and a couple other minor issues.

Don't ask me what I'm going to do in this race, because I don't know yet. Tongue Buchson's views are much more in line with mine, but I have a personal relationship with Risk that'll make it difficult for me not to support her.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2011, 02:47:17 PM »

I just finished making a rather upset call to the Mourdock campaign, campaigning about the negativity, especially on Facebook, and the campaign continuing to allow hateful comments towards Lugar being posted on their wall. I said that while some Tea Party Republicans may think that behavior is okay, a majority of Republicans and Hoosiers in general want a campaign that's focused on creating jobs, not on how old Senator Lugar is. The person I was talking to seem rather young, and it was hard for me to get too worked up since he was kept saying "I understand" and "I agree". Maybe I converted him. Tongue

Now it's on to waiting to see if a certain hateful post that was made which I've requested multiple times by message and now by phone will be removed. If it isn't removed, I'll start making weekly calls.

Tongue
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2011, 05:21:13 PM »

Likely not. The person on the phone probably didn't care about you or Mourdock and just wanted the job.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2011, 09:25:21 PM »

Likely not. The person on the phone probably didn't care about you or Mourdock and just wanted the job.
We'll see - I've abstained from ever debating someone on the Mourdock page, but I just did - some loser tried to say Lugar is never visiting Hoosiers and is only doing it now because an election's coming up. I can't even begin to describe how big of a lie that is. Tongue

The post I'm waiting for them to delete is still up. Maybe I'll start with daily calls. Smiley Smiley
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2011, 10:56:33 PM »

In a "discussion" with someone now on Mourdock's page over everything in general. They tried to say Lugar is depending on out of state groups to back him, and I pointed out nearly 90% of Lugar contributions in the last quarter came from Hoosiers.

His response "Last Quarter..." At first, I thought he was being a smartie or something, but then I realized he had no clue what I was talking about.

Ironic, because normally around this time in a "discussion" I'm dismissed as being too young to know what I'm talking about. Wink
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies