Mandatory Arabic Classes Coming To Mansfield
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 05, 2024, 12:46:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Mandatory Arabic Classes Coming To Mansfield
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: Mandatory Arabic Classes Coming To Mansfield  (Read 7797 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: February 16, 2011, 08:48:07 AM »

Your rational basis for opting out of learning English or math is what, exactly?  

It is exactly the same as your "rational basis" for opting out of any other language: I don't see any (except, possibly, xenophobia, in your case).

I guess that Spanish is arguably a more relevant language to learn than Arabic, since it's more widely spoken in the US doesn't count.  Or that I don't expect to go to a liberal arts college, so I'd be better off taking an occupational education class instead of any language doesn't count.

My supposed xenophobia is obviously the answer.   Because wanting more choice isn't politically correct, and anyone who opposes the education bureaucrats one-size-fits-all agenda is a racist.

Come on Cynic. Would you or the vast majority of parents who railed against this have been remotely as upset if the language chosen for mandatory instruction was, say, German? Or French?

But Arabs are inferior people! Tongue

(I know he'll report this post)
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #101 on: February 16, 2011, 04:25:26 PM »

This thread reminded me of something we used to do in school when I was a kid. Every May, as part of a larger citywide festival, Memphis honors one country. In elementary school, we would study that country, learn a few words in the native langauge, learn about their culture etc. One year it was Kenya, one year France, etc. We weren't learning to be Kenyans. We learned about Kenya. Nothing terribly intensive, but everybody agreed that it was a good idea to give kids a taste of life somewhere else. Yes, it was "mandatory," but it wasn't ever controversial. Curriculum doesn't always offer a million choices. I don't see what the fuss is all about, and I can't for the life of me figure out why Conservatives try so hard to portray themselves as victims.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #102 on: February 16, 2011, 04:37:45 PM »

This thread reminded me of something we used to do in school when I was a kid. Every May, as part of a larger citywide festival, Memphis honors one country. In elementary school, we would study that country, learn a few words in the native langauge, learn about their culture etc. One year it was Kenya, one year France, etc. We weren't learning to be Kenyans. We learned about Kenya. Nothing terribly intensive, but everybody agreed that it was a good idea to give kids a taste of life somewhere else. Yes, it was "mandatory," but it wasn't ever controversial. Curriculum doesn't always offer a million choices. I don't see what the fuss is all about, and I can't for the life of me figure out why Conservatives try so hard to portray themselves as victims.

Multiculturalism begain creeping into schools years ago?  OH NOEZ!!!11!!
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #103 on: February 16, 2011, 04:59:56 PM »

Is this thread worth reading Gramps?  Just asking. 
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #104 on: February 16, 2011, 06:59:10 PM »

Is this thread worth reading Gramps?  Just asking. 

No, it died long ago, Torie
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies